Page 174 of 439 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224274 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 6582
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Ransomware Hackers don't kill people. They are a scourge though.
    Do they not? When they paralyze essential services?

I'll grant you, it's not as dramtic as a one-eyed peg-leg with a cutlass slitting someone's bowels. But if you're a city employee counting on your pay to eat, or buy your child medicine, and you can't get it because the accounts are frozen, it's just as bad.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Pro-choice people are way overthinking the pro-life people and never trying to see it from their perspective. And it's important to see it from their perspective, not because they're *right*, but because if you don't, you end up talking past them and nothing gets accomplished.

Pro-Life people are overwhelmingly conservative Christian. Politicians may not necessarily be, but they're listening to their constituents, who may well be single-issue voters on the topic of abortion.

And as conservative Christians, they have basically two views on the topic: Abortion is murder, because life begins at conception. And sex outside of marriage is immoral (generally, because of extreme misogyny, this is especially true for *women*).

Why don't they want abortions? Because they view it as baby killing. Would you be okay with someone killing a two year old because they found it inconvenient? No? Those people feel the same way about unborn babies.

Why don't they want sex ed and free contraceptives and stuff? Because sex is immoral outside of marriage, so you shouldn't be doing it (especially women though, after all "boys will be boys"). If a woman DOES have sex outside of marriage, the baby's basically a punishment for it.

That's it. Done. No grand conspiracy to keep poor people poor, or to breed more Republican voters, or anything else. Just that.

Now that's from the Evangelical Christian Conservative perspective, who make up the vast majority of the anti-abortion movement, I'd think. There are other arguments against it, but I think those are secondary to the two above.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Pro-choice people are way overthinking the pro-life people and never trying to see it from their perspective. And it's important to see it from their perspective, not because they're *right*, but because if you don't, you end up talking past them and nothing gets accomplished.

Pro-Life people are overwhelmingly conservative Christian. Politicians may not necessarily be, but they're listening to their constituents, who may well be single-issue voters on the topic of abortion.

And as conservative Christians, they have basically two views on the topic: Abortion is murder, because life begins at conception. And sex outside of marriage is immoral (generally, because of extreme misogyny, this is especially true for *women*).

Why don't they want abortions? Because they view it as baby killing. Would you be okay with someone killing a two year old because they found it inconvenient? No? Those people feel the same way about unborn babies.

Why don't they want sex ed and free contraceptives and stuff? Because sex is immoral outside of marriage, so you shouldn't be doing it (especially women though, after all "boys will be boys"). If a woman DOES have sex outside of marriage, the baby's basically a punishment for it.

That's it. Done. No grand conspiracy to keep poor people poor, or to breed more Republican voters, or anything else. Just that.

Now that's from the Evangelical Christian Conservative perspective, who make up the vast majority of the anti-abortion movement, I'd think. There are other arguments against it, but I think those are secondary to the two above.
    Ehhhh, evangelicals are almost comically hypocritical when it comes to their personal conduct though, is there a prominent religious conservative who hasn't been caught up in some kind of sordid sex scandal at this point? The religious right is actually a fairly new phenomenon in American politics, before the late 70s Christians were split along sectarian lines on most issues, as the anti-abortion movement was largely Catholic while Southern Baptists cheered the Roe vs. Wade decision. The reason that abortion emerged as a central issue was because supporting segregation was becoming increasingly unpalatable and southern whites needed a new hot button issue to rally around, and abortion fit the bill perfectly.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...origins-107133

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

In regards to the call for unity and the end of division

Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 05-23-2019 at 12:45 PM.

This is oversimplifying it though by assuming all pro lifers fit under one blanket.

I'm atheist and have been for over 30 years. I was pro gay marriage back in the 90's long before democrats and most liberals came around to it. I had sex many times before marriage and after marriage my ex and I engaged in swinging a few times so I'm definitely the opposite of those who believe sex outside of marriage is immoral. I believe birth control for women should be easily and widely available and covered by all health insurance. I believe marijuana should be legalized and other drugs decriminalized.

I'm also against abortion except in cases of mother's health because I believe it is a life. I also realize adoption right now is not a viable alternative simply because the adoption market is flooded with unwanted children of all sorts except white infants.

What drives many pro lifers (not me as I've never voted republican and this isn't my most important issue) to the polls though is that this is the single most important issue to them and nothing else matters. And that actually makes sense because saving a life to them matters more than taxes, other social issues, etc.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 05-24-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Making abortions illegal doesn't stop abortions, it just kills mothers. Birth control and real sex education in schools lower abortion rates.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Making abortions illegal doesn't stop abortions, it just kills mothers. Birth control and real sex education in schools lower abortion rates.
    This pro lifer absolutely believes in all the sex education you can give in schools. You can't trust many parents to properly teach kids. Knowledge is the key so teach the kids and teach them early.

I also believe birth control should be 100% covered by insurance and for those without insurance it should be as close to free as possible for women everywhere. Providing it for women is the key because in the heat of the moment without a condom readily available you can't trust men or women to not say **** it and just hope for the best. Make birth control pills, shots, patches, etc as cheap if not free as possible. Pass out condoms if you want but ultimately its women who bear the burden of birth so its them that we need to focus on with options that don't include murdering someone.

The best way to reduce abortion is to prevent the pregnancy in the first place. This is the most frustrating thing to me as a pro lifer as it seems the majority of other pro lifers don't understand this simple concept.

As I stated without explanation I'm against abortion except for mother's health. I believe it is a life and its murder to kill it. Even in cases of rape / incest because its not the babies fault. When it comes down to choosing a mother's life or the babies life I make the exception because no one should be forced to die for another though I certainly understand why a mother would choose to give her life for her child just like many mom's have forgone chemo in order to save their unborn babies life. I'd give my life without hesitation for any of my kids.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 05-24-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    This pro lifer absolutely believes in all the sex education you can give in schools. You can't trust many parents to properly teach kids. Knowledge is the key so teach the kids and teach them early.

I also believe birth control should be 100% covered by insurance and for those without insurance it should be as close to free as possible for women everywhere. Providing it for women is the key because in the heat of the moment without a condom readily available you can't trust men or women to not say **** it and just hope for the best. Make birth control pills, shots, patches, etc as cheap if not free as possible. Pass out condoms if you want but ultimately its women who bear the burden of birth so its them that we need to focus on with options that don't include murdering someone.

The best way to reduce abortion is to prevent the pregnancy in the first place. This is the most frustrating thing to me as a pro lifer as it seems the majority of other pro lifers don't understand this simple concept.

As I stated without explanation I'm against abortion except for mother's health. I believe it is a life and its murder to kill it. Even in cases of rape / incest because its not the babies fault. When it comes down to choosing a mother's life or the babies life I make the exception because no one should be forced to die for another though I certainly understand why a mother would choose to give her life for her child just like many mom's have forgone chemo in order to save their unborn babies life. I'd give my life without hesitation for any of my kids.
    No abortion at any point in the pregnancy? Morning after pills?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Do EC Comics count? Articles written about them seem to ignore the misogyny in those books (not that there wasn't any by other publishers). Yeah, Gaines and Feldstein can be commended for their stance on civil rights (as far as whites would go in the 50s), but women pretty much always nagging or scheming b#tches.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

It’s important to counter from a early age every time police send officers to do “safety presentations” at schools. Kids will buy in to the idea of Officer Friendly, and need to be reminded that’s not often the case and those presentations are about compliance. Especially when it comes to black school students.

It’s important to counter from a early age every time police send officers to do “safety presentations” at schools. Kids will buy in to the idea of Officer Friendly, and need to be reminded that’s not often the case and those presentations are about compliance. Especially when it comes to black school students.
    I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. Are you saying that you should teach kids NOT to listen to police officers?

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. Are you saying that you should teach kids NOT to listen to police officers?
    Kids are taught to listen, even if Officer Friendly is wrong.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Kids are taught to listen, even if Officer Friendly is wrong.
    If the point here is to thoughtfully and skeptically question authority, I'm for it. If it's to be automatically suspicious and negative of law enforcement in general, it seems like that could backfire in serious ways.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    If the point here is to thoughtfully and skeptically question authority, I'm for it. If it's to be automatically suspicious and negative of law enforcement in general, it seems like that could backfire in serious ways.
    I'm just so used to the police just being one more trouble that needs to be avoided that sometimes I forget that it's not that way everywhere. Some parts of the world are still sane.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    I'm just so used to the police just being one more trouble that needs to be avoided that sometimes I forget that it's not that way everywhere. Some parts of the world are still sane.
    Hardly, to avoid police is a sensible rule pretty much everywhere.