Page 392 of 440 FirstFirst ... 292342382388389390391392393394395396402 ... LastLast
Results 5,866 to 5,880 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    If you don't like race swapping in movies that's totally fine. But people really need to stop saying, "Would you be ok with a white person playing Black Panther?" White actors playing non-white characters has happened and continues to happen even in modern times. And there is actually a white "Black Panther" in the comics...he's called the White Wolf.
    Unless the character is tied to a specific racial identity I don't normally care personally. What people tend to forget is that for decades "non-specific" always defaulted to "white" and minority characters were limited, so any swap is going to favor replacing white with something else. It's a reminder of more racist times rather than anything else.
    Dark does not mean deep.

If you don't like race swapping in movies that's totally fine. But people really need to stop saying, "Would you be ok with a white person playing Black Panther?" White actors playing non-white characters has happened and continues to happen even in modern times. And there is actually a white "Black Panther" in the comics...he's called the White Wolf.
    Yup. New Mutants was released only two years ago, and from the moment casting was released, people pointed out the problems with Cecilia Reyes and Sunspot. They did not give two fucks if anyone was upset.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Unless the character is tied to a specific racial identity I don't normally care personally. What people tend to forget is that for decades "non-specific" always defaulted to "white" and minority characters were limited, so any swap is going to favor replacing white with something else. It's a reminder of more racist times rather than anything else.
    I don't disagree. I just think the "white Black Panther" thing is such a lazy and uninformed retort. I feel like, if black Little Mermaid or whatever upsets you please come up with a better argument.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Yup. New Mutants was released only two years ago, and from the moment casting was released, people pointed out the problems with Cecilia Reyes and Sunspot. They did not give two fucks if anyone was upset.
    Not to mention Ghost in the Shell with Scarlett Johanson...

But really, I think people get mad about things that other people on the internet tell them to get mad about. In the Deadpool comics, Blind Al and Domino are white women, but in the movies they were played by black actresses and none of these people who supposedly care about "accuracy" or "respecting the source material" said a word.

A lot of people ragged on the Harley Quinn movie for alleged "feminism" but none of them noticed that Black Canary was played by a black woman despite being white blonde in the comics and cartoons.

And more recently, the "Stan Lee is rolling in his grave over She-Hulk twerking" crowd didn't have a peep to say about white Thunderball.

Alot of this outrage is driven by clicks and you just aren't going to get as much engagement talking about race swapped Domino as you are claiming that Batman as supposedly gone woke.

Here's another Little Mermaid jem: "I wouldn't care if she's black, if she only were pretty."
    I'm like, dude, you're not even right, she looks fine, but why do even care how pretty she is? It's a movie for kids, not for you to project your erotic fantasies.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Here's another Little Mermaid jem: "I wouldn't care if she's black, if she only were pretty."
    I'm like, dude, you're not even right, she looks fine, but why do even care how pretty she is? It's a movie for kids, not for you to project your erotic fantasies.
    Huh? How is this girl not pretty? I would say beautiful.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Not to mention Ghost in the Shell with Scarlett Johanson...

But really, I think people get mad about things that other people on the internet tell them to get mad about. In the Deadpool comics, Blind Al and Domino are white women, but in the movies they were played by black actresses and none of these people who supposedly care about "accuracy" or "respecting the source material" said a word.

A lot of people ragged on the Harley Quinn movie for alleged "feminism" but none of them noticed that Black Canary was played by a black woman despite being white blonde in the comics and cartoons.

And more recently, the "Stan Lee is rolling in his grave over She-Hulk twerking" crowd didn't have a peep to say about white Thunderball.

Alot of this outrage is driven by clicks and you just aren't going to get as much engagement talking about race swapped Domino as you are claiming that Batman as supposedly gone woke.
    I think the relative importance of the character to the story matters too, though. The Wrecking Crew barely appeared and barely resembled the comics versions in any sense. Domino has been around a long time but has never been an A or I'd even say B list character, and Blind Al is more obscure ... and both were pretty incidental parts in a movie that also introduced a whole version of X-Force just to have them comically slaughtered, so I wouldn't say those roles are big enough to generate much of a fuss. I think I do recall some vague grumbling about Black Canary being black, but it was generally folded into the criticism of the movie as "woke feminism" on the whole.

Honestly though, I think the argument about a white actor playing Black Panther is in bad faith because it is based in the idea that switching a character's race in one direction or the other is somehow value-neutral; that the motivations, meanings, and effects of changing a given character's race should somehow be approximately equal. This is an unrealistic framework, given that race is not and never has been value-neutral in our society. Because of this, changing an established, popular character from white to black really is not a 1:1 to changing a character from black to white. Context matters. And we and our stories exist in a context that consistently shown a preference towards whiteness.

As you said, people can feel free to just say they don't like race swapping; everybody is entitled to their own opinions. But you don't have to pretend race is some neutral detail, like height or eye color or hair color. It would be nice if the world one day gets to a place where it really doesn't matter, but realistically, we all know we are nowhere near there yet.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Chips go well with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Even prune juice and oatmeal?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Dreams taste better than space.
    Last edited by useridgoeshere; 09-19-2022 at 04:18 PM.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

I'm a proud Nickleback fan, and people highly hating Nickleback is freakin ridiculous and inane because I've never heard any factual reasons that justify the hatred.
    The dumbest reason in my opinion is the whole their songs are formulaic which is lame and hypocritical because that same criticism could be made about other bands, and I doubt the Nickelback haters wouldn't be able to explain why it's not hypocritical that they aren't criticizing other bands for that same factual reason.

I don't care for most of Eric Clapton's music after Derick and the Dominoes. The Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Dominoes, just fantastic, after that....meh.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    I'm a proud Nickleback fan, and people highly hating Nickleback is freakin ridiculous and inane because I've never heard any factual reasons that justify the hatred.
    The dumbest reason in my opinion is the whole their songs are formulaic which is lame and hypocritical because that same criticism could be made about other bands, and I doubt the Nickelback haters wouldn't be able to explain why it's not hypocritical that they aren't criticizing other bands for that same factual reason.
    I don't get it either. I only know their famous songs and I like those. I also like for example Bon Jovi and Scorpions and don't see/hear the difference between those re: repetition or style.

I wonder if many of the haters is just people piling up once it became the cool thing to dislike.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    If that’s not something you can really sink your teeth into, I don’t know what is.