Page 439 of 439 FirstFirst ... 339389429435436437438439
Results 6,571 to 6,582 of 6582
    Ultimate Member

Speaking of Debbie Gibson...
    Last edited by ed2962; 03-19-2024 at 07:28 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I will say one Elvis song I love and never tire of listening to was His Latest Flame.
    For me, it's "Suspicious Minds"

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

The only worthwhile contributions Geoff Johns ever made to DC were Stargirl, his revival of the JSA, and maybe his nu52 Aquaman run. Maybe.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The only worthwhile contributions Geoff Johns ever made to DC were Stargirl, his revival of the JSA, and maybe his nu52 Aquaman run. Maybe.
    He brought back Hal and Barry, I'm sure their fans feel that significant.

I really like an Avengers arc he did called "Red Zone", it's probably one of my favorite "modern" Avengers stories.

I thought Mark Waid brought back Barry?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I thought Mark Waid brought back Barry?
    I think the story you might be thinking of was "The Return of Barry Allen" which was written by Waid in the 90's? It explained the Speed Force and Flash Legacy and what not, but the twist was that Barry turned out to Reverse Flash in disguise.

The Johns Barry Allen story I was referring to was Flash: Rebirth which done by Geoff with EVS in the early 2000's. Same team did the GL:Rebirth. This was like DC being, "Ok, no fooling this time...the Silver Age versions are back for real! We're giving them ongoings!"

John's is responsible for what I like to call the Mercury Age - the pushing of Silver Age only characters as much as they could get away with, added to some 90s excess. Looks like Silver, but it's actually a toxic substance.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    He brought back Hal and Barry, I'm sure their fans feel that significant.
    I'm not gonna try and diss something certain groups of fans enjoy, but (imho), Johns and his tendency to simply bring back aspects of his childhood in comics is a big reason nostalgia has an unhealthy chokehold over the medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    John's is responsible for what I like to call the Mercury Age - the pushing of Silver Age only characters as much as they could get away with, added to some 90s excess. Looks like Silver, but it's actually a toxic substance.
    Pretty much this, yeah.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

I just watched the trailer for the Netflix animated Good Times show and I was shaking my damn head...it has every ghetto stereotype of the last 30yrs smushed together. Then I saw Seth McFarland's name attached and it made perfect sense. He's trying to be offensive on purpose. Still not going to watch it though. But if nothing else, I hope it shuts up all these folks who like to say, "You can't do Blazin' Saddles today!"

Also, will any of the folks "offended" by non-binary Morf mention this show as an example "woke Hollywood" out of control?
    Last edited by ed2962; Yesterday at 08:37 PM.

I just watched the trailer for the Netflix animated Good Times show and I was shaking my damn head...it has every ghetto stereotype of the last 30yrs smushed together. Then I saw Seth McFarland's name attached and it made perfect sense. He's trying to be offensive on purpose. Still not going to watch it though. But if nothing else, I hope it shuts up all these folks who like to say, "You can't do Blazin' Saddles today!"

Also, will any of the folks "offended" by non-binary Morf mention this show as an example "woke Hollywood" out of control?
    Will the wokespotters act offended? Isn't that the default setting?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

An animated Good Times? Seriously? I never liked the original version, so this will be a hard pas for me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

That is nothing compared to the Netflix Moses Docuseries. A look at the life of a man who did not exist. A fairy-tale based on Babylonian myth.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!