Page 228 of 440 FirstFirst ... 128178218224225226227228229230231232238278328 ... LastLast
Results 3,406 to 3,420 of 6586
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    And I have no idea what those last two mean, as your post is the very first time I have seen either one.
    In This Thread and Change My View.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Police unions also exist to ensure there is cause for firing an officer. In departments without unions officers will be fired for arresting / ticketing the mayor, council member, family member of the above, or well connected person. Having a process and actual cause to fire someone helps ensure officers can safely do the right thing when confronted with such a decision.

When union officers get their jobs back its often because departments failed to follow their own policies regarding discipline.

Furthermore unions are the only thing keeping many agencies from gutting police officer salaries and benefits. Its already incredibly difficult to recruit quality officers and without unions it will be even harder as pay and benefits go down. Which will lead to departments forcing to accept George Zimmerman types (he was rejected from multiple depts).
    I had given thought about what you said. I have to admit I agree with what you said. If good cops need unions to save or get back their jobs, I am okay with that. However, the unions don't need to protect some bad apples, not when there is sufficient concrete proof of their guilt.

Union may not be a bad idea. Unfortunately, some union leaders are so rotten, they can corrupt the whole union. There is an old saying, "A rotten apple quickly infects its neighbor" that may suit the corrupt cops' dilemma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_apples

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    If good cops need unions to save or get back their jobs, I am okay with that. However, the unions don't need to protect some bad apples, not when there is sufficient concrete proof of their guilt.

[/url]
    It doesn't work like that. For instance, with the Fraternal Order of Police most members may a monthly fee for legal defense in case they need a lawyer. This guarantees you a lawyer if your involved in some sort of disciplinary or legal action due to actions on duty. Its no different than criminals getting guaranteed lawyers. Its not hard to fire bad cops if agencies actually follow their own policies regarding due process and the rules they have set in place for discipline, I'll spare you repeating what I typed earlier, and bad cops do lose their jobs all the time either by firing or resignation before they can be fired. Cops have the same legal rights as citizens though which is "innocent until proven guilty" which frustrates a lot of police critics who want instant gratification in regards to accountability. Which then leads to miscarriages of justice like the cops in Atlanta who were charged with murder for killing Rayshard Brooks. I'm 99.9999% confident they will be exonerated and then later get a large settlement from the city of Atlanta because the prosecutor is a corrupt politician under criminal investigation himself who only charged them to boost his flagging re-election campaign. He lied multiple times in his press briefing about the charging and contradicted himself. For instance he claimed he charged them based on the recommendation of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's recommendations but the GBI came out afterwards and said they weren't even close to being done with the investigation let alone with a determination of what if any charges should be filed. Then there is the fact that just two weeks earlier this prosecutor is on record calling a taser a deadly weapon when justifying charges against other cops for tasering someone but is now claiming its not a deadly weapon - can't have it both ways. And then there will be obviously be disagreements over whether they were good cops who got railroaded by a corrupt DA or bad cops who got away with it (the opinion of all the cop critics). But either way if their union dues guarantee them a lawyer then they get a lawyer.

Retired

I think it's important to remember that the political interests in the United States that make laws and enforce them get there because of corporate money. As much as you might complain about the politicans or the police, they wouldn't have that power if not for those corporations. If corporate interests wanted civil rights, a clean environment, good health care--they could make that happen immediately. All they seem to want is no taxes and access to cheap labour. And in return, from the state, they get free infrastructure, energy, policing, land, resources--the people pay for all that through their taxes and their work.

As bad as Donald Trump is, he wouldn't exist if unelected special interests didn't want him there. They are the real villains.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think it's important to remember that the political interests in the United States that make laws and enforce them get there because of corporate money. As much as you might complain about the politicans or the police, they wouldn't have that power if not for those corporations. If corporate interests wanted civil rights, a clean environment, good health care--they could make that happen immediately. All they seem to want is no taxes and access to cheap labour. And in return, from the state, they get free infrastructure, energy, policing, land, resources--the people pay for all that through their taxes and their work.

As bad as Donald Trump is, he wouldn't exist if unelected special interests didn't want him there. They are the real villains.
    I agree with everything you said except the underlined. I don't dispute that there were (and are) some corporate interests that see benefit in him, but I suspect this is a much more nuanced case than a monolithic block of special interests empowering Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Any NBA team would destroy the Globetrotters and there wouldn't be the fun.
    The point would not really be competitive play.

Predator from 1987 starring Arnold Scwarzenegger is really a love story.
    Change my mind.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Change my mind.
    Someone saw the video from the Merkins.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Boisterously Confused

Change my mind.
    Bold. Could you expand upon your view?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Bold. Could you expand upon your view?
    A lonely alien comes to Earth searching for a mate. He lands in South America and decides to do a spot of hunting.
    Schwarzenegger and crew arrive and our hero is immediately smitten.
    He kills his new loves' companions to eliminate competition.
    Finally, he has his True Love all to himself and commences with the wooing. Unfortunately he comes on a bit too strong.
    Schwarzenegger isn't having it and mortally wounds the poor alien.
    Dejected and dying the alien activates his self-destruct mechanism. His last words to Schwarzenegger are "I love you" and he weeps in despair until the mini nuke explodes.
    Sometimes love does not conquer all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Someone saw the video from the Merkins.
    I'm not familiar.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 07-31-2020 at 07:50 PM.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

A lonely alien comes to Earth searching for a mate. He lands in South America and decides to do a spot of hunting.
    Finally, he has his True Love all to himself and commences with the wooing. Unfortunately he comes on a bit too strong.
    Dejected and dying the alien activates his self-destruct mechanism. His last words to Schwarzenegger are "I love you" and he weeps in despair until the mini nuke explodes.

I'm not familiar.
    Thanx for ruining my day. You could have just peed into my morning coffee but choose to go all out. Now that you presented it, I can never unsee the evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Thanx for ruining my day. You could have just peed into my morning coffee but choose to go all out. Now that you presented it, I can never unsee the evidence.
    Go to YouTube and look up the Merkins - To Catch a Predator and you'll be even more disturbed. And hopefully amused since their thing is twisted song covers by movie slashers.

I'll Kill You That Way
    Careless Sister
    I Just Called To Say I'll Kill You
    Freinds With No Faces

And other such bits.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm not familiar.
    To quote Ace Ventura....alrighty then!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

Change my mind.
    Well, that handshake was rather erotic. Never thought biceps could orgasm until I saw "you sunuvabitch!" go down.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    You're welcome.