Page 325 of 440 FirstFirst ... 225275315321322323324325326327328329335375425 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,875 of 6586

Look at where a person lives. Lets say someone breaks into your home when you are not there and robs you. You come home and see this. Are you going to think "Gee I wonder why they did this?" No you are going to feel violated some one broke into your safe space and you are going to be mad the stuff you worked hard for has been taken from you. Your not going to look for motivation. Just be angry at what happened.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Intent matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Not always. if someone tries to do something good but someone else ends up hurt or dies it doesnt matter if the person started out trying to do good. The end result is still bad. i would think results matter more then intent.
    In reality most things in this world are very black in white. people too often throw shades of grey on matters and complicate things more then they should be.
    I disagree with the last, I think people in general would like things to be black and white because it makes them easier to digest and understand. It's easier to pick a position on a topic or in a situation and defend it reflexively and without thinking. My team vs your team. I'm the victim, you're the perpetrator. That sort of thinking, while not as immediately harmful as the examples given of robbery or violence, lead to the sort of thinking and behavior that tends to marginalize certain groups in society and keeps many of those who commit crimes from getting the help that they need in order to prevent them from ending back up in a situation that put themselves and others in danger (including prison).

Even to take it down from violence/crime to the level of personal interactions at which one party takes offense at something the other says. If the offending person is speaking from ignorance it could be a learning opportunity for them. Or, they could be branded as a terrible person for making a mistake and then be ostracized or attacked (not necessarily violently). Knowing where we're all coming from, where our biases and ignorance come from especially (and we all have them) can help manage that and perhaps allow the first person not to take offense in the first place, understanding the reasoning behind it.

Now if a person learns what they're doing is seen as insulting but then confidently continues to do so they are showing intent to harm. That matters, and is worse (IMO) than doing so out of ignorance. Same with violent crimes. In the moment would the victim of a violent attack be looking for motivation? Probably not, but law enforcement should because it should determine how they are handled. Maybe there's a mental health issue. Maybe there were unknown circumstances or prior incidents that led up to the crime. It might not change punishment, but again can help to figure out a way to prevent it from happening again. Vs feeling good labeling someone as "bad" and ourselves as "good" (nobody is the villain of their own story) and feeling confident without having to wade into the muddy and complicated details of a grey/brown world but ultimately achieving nothing but that feeling of superiority.

Good or bad I dont care a persons motivation. Just the result of their actions.
    That can be dangerous. While I think a Machiavellian approach is warranted depending on the circumstances; in general, all factors need to be considered.

But what is intent and how do we judge it? It all seems terribly relativistic to me. Do we consider the intent of those who stormed the Capitol, since they saw themselves as patriots trying to save the country? Do we give a pass to those banning abortion and making women criminals because the see themselves as doing what God demands? If someone has the noble intent to rid the world of a particular evil, an evil concentrated in one people...do we say, well their intentions were good.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

I'd say it has to be involved in the equation and not dismissed or hand-waived because people want to simplify things. It might not excuse behavior (though it might, depending on the intent and the circumstances), but it might change the way we perceive an action or behavior and have an impact on the way we deal with it. It has to be included, is my feeling. It might not be the most important factor, but it should at least be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I'd say it has to be involved in the equation and not dismissed or hand-waived because people want to simplify things. It might not excuse behavior (though it might, depending on the intent and the circumstances), but it might change the way we perceive an action or behavior and have an impact on the way we deal with it. It has to be included, is my feeling. It might not be the most important factor, but it should at least be considered.
    Considered? I can get that. Motivation in crime is a pretty important tool to law enforcement. But it should not be the end all as some people want to make it out as. And as Kirby pointed out intentions are different for each person and group. Who determines if the intent was bad snice there is a difference to each person motivation for doing something. Like in the Jan 6th example. There were those who thought themselves loyal Americans trying to save the country. Thee were also those who didnt care about the issue, they just wanted in on an attack on the government. Who decides whose intent is more pure or worse in that instance? Do we say person A gets less of a sentence because they thought they were doing the right thing and were misled by someone else and Person B gets a heavier sentence because they were just there to start trouble.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But what is intent and how do we judge it? It all seems terribly relativistic to me. Do we consider the intent of those who stormed the Capitol, since they saw themselves as patriots trying to save the country?
    In their case, psychiatric evaluations should be administered first to see how mentally competent they are to stand trial.

On the subject, “they’re in it for the money” and/or “this is just a cash grab” are perfectly fine reasons for doing something.

On the subject, “they’re in it for the money” and/or “this is just a cash grab” are perfectly fine reasons for doing something.
    It very much is. That is the reason to have a career. I love how everyone got made at Brian Kelly for going to LSU for a 60 Mil raise. The whole point of College Football is starting at a smaller school, and working your way up. Everyone wants money and to win a title. LSU being in the SEC will have more talk around it, better to recruit, and be in a better shot to win a championship. Everyone who wants to talk about loyalty to a school or the kids that play let them pass on 100 Mil a year. Its easy for us to say we would never take the money because we are never going to have the chance to pass on 100 Mil.

I also hate the line "They Sold Out"

The first mark of maturity is knowing that not everything is black and white. The second is knowing that some things are.

I also hate the line "They Sold Out"
    Agreed. Money is how we do things and can afford to be who we are. It doesn't make sense to look down on someone for pursuing it.

Only if they are honest about it. If they are lying or cheating, it's not okay. If they have no intention on delivering what the promised, it's not okay.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Only if they are honest about it. If they are lying or cheating, it's not okay. If they have no intention on delivering what the promised, it's not okay.
    I think they are honest about it when they take a coaching job. They all say I want to win. So they build their profile so they can go to bigger and better schools so they can win, and that leads to more money. Every pro athlete or coach is in it for the fame and money. yes they love what they do but no one says "I im fine with league minimum and beong a back up my whole career." They want to win and they want to get paid, thats why we see so many players leaving the teams they love for more money and a better shot else where.

Fans have this I dont know some kind of minor delusion that players and coaches love their team and city and and are loyal to them. Ask Cleveland fans how loyal James was when he left (Twice) or the heat how loyal James was. Players and coaches are not in it for the team, for the fans, for the city. They are in it for them. Bill B he is great in New England but if crap hits the fan he will bounce so fast.

And I am okay with this. I watch sports to be entertained and these guys do that.

Bill Belichick should be paid more.

BANNED

Bill Belichick should be paid more.
    Honestly feel like he and Brady ought to get like a token 1% ownership stake in the franchise. It wouldn't be nearly as profitable if not for their 2 decades (plus) of domination.