Page 205 of 210 FirstFirst ... 105155195201202203204205206207208209 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 3146
    Astonishing Member

Indeed I am, but I keep a close eye on American history and politics because (despite what my countrymen believe) Britain isn't actually a big deal geo politically.

Standing Member

I'm Canadian and we usually don't think we have an identity. But I think that's a positive, because for many of us diversity has become our identity. I always lived and worked in diverse communities and that's where I feel most comfortable. When I travel to other countries that are less diverse, I get nervous, I feel out of place--and I worry much more that my differences will stand out and make me a target. Sure there are pockets of people in Canada that exclude others, but when I volunteered in school with little kids, they were from diverse backgrounds and their lessons taught them about other cultures--they knew more than me about some world cultures--and they learned tolerance and how to resolve conflicts peacefully. Breaking down barriers between people is the best way to create better and happier citizens.
    "Whatever happens, nothing ruffles Ralph's wife Sue! Just looking at her makes you realize that everything's all right in the world--and probably always will be!"--Batman, DETECTIVE COMICS 343.

Incredible Member TriggerWarning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    3. There is a generational shift happening and the Boomers are fighting with everything they've got rather then hand over the reigns.
    Every generation says this about the one that follows.

I'm Gen X, the generation to born of the oldest of the boomers, and they were saying this about us too.

Whats interesting to me as someone in that group in viewing the Boomer vs Millenial fight is that I can see valid points on both sides but if I express one of them the other side automatically assumes I'm in the other camp. Sort of like as slightly left leaning libertarian I get cursed out by both democrats and republicans all the time.

Incredible Member TriggerWarning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How about National Service for things in addition to the Military.
    Finland and some other European countries require all citizens to do up to a year of national service after high school.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Finland and some other European countries require all citizens to do up to a year of national service after high school.
    In Finland (and the other places) it's just men (who are able), though military service varies from 6 months, 9 months and 12 months.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Typically countries that have that level of mandatory military service are both smaller in population and have neighbors that they trust less than the land mass they occupy can be thrown by a small child. Finland has Russia, Switzerland had Germany, and Israel has the rest of the Middle East.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Social media is the 2nd worse invention mankind has ever come up with behind the nuclear bomb. Some people would say the gun, but I can see some positive benefits to firearms(wild animal attack deaths plummeted after the invention of the rifle). Nuclear weapons and social media are two inventions with next to no pros and a whole lot of cons. Cigarettes are in third place.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Social media is the 2nd worse invention mankind has ever come up with behind the nuclear bomb. Some people would say the gun, but I can see some positive benefits to firearms(wild animal attack deaths plummeted after the invention of the rifle). Nuclear weapons and social media are two inventions with next to no pros and a whole lot of cons. Cigarettes are in third place.
    To potentially politely disagree...

I think that chemical weapons might make second place on a good day.

That said, I do get where you are coming from.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My mother died from lung cancer, so I'd put cigarettes second, MILES ahead of social media. Also ahead of social media:

--chemical weapons
    --guns
    --DDT
    --asbestos
    --GMO's

And that's just off the top of my head.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My mother died from lung cancer, so I'd put cigarettes second, MILES ahead of social media.
    “And curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid git...”

My best friend had years of ill health, made profoundly worse by smoking. As well as lung cancer...smoking has tons of other adverse health effects.

One of those things where because they have been around for many years they are allowed to continue...a similar new product coming to market wouldn’t pass health regulations.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I don't know about social media being the second worst invention of humankind behind nuclear weapons. That's probably a bit of an exaggeration. Don't forget, we've been also responsible for creating hideous chemical weapons and then turning them on our fellow man. That's unforgivable. You mention cigarettes also. They are and forever will be disgusting, health destructive artefacts that would never have been given the green light to mass produce and market nowadays. I'd rate those higher than social media too.

I do loathe social media culture though. I agree that it's had a negative impact on modern society overall. Rational debate is finished, both sides of the political spectrum have weaponized it and often attacked moderates simply for being so and a 'my personal feelings and beliefs will always trump (forgive the choice of wording there) quantifiable facts' mentality is becoming increasingly common. Idiot groups like the Flat Earth Society, a particular bugbear to me, have thrived thanks to social media.
    "I don't stand for anything. I just crusade against everything I don't stand for."

Boisterously Confused

Like others responding, I might quibble with the rankings, but agree with the general assessment of social media. It's been particularly harmful in allowing hate groups and extremists of every stripe to more easily organize. If that weren't enough, its promise to democratize has turned out to be another means of surveillance and control.

My mother died from lung cancer, so I'd put cigarettes second, MILES ahead of social media. Also ahead of social media:

--chemical weapons
    --guns
    --DDT
    --asbestos
    --GMO's

I only put modern guns on the list (as opposed to all of them)- back when one had to reload often and rechamber after every shot things were far less lethal.

Likewise, some GMOs (golden rice) have incredible potential, unlike roundup ready soybeans which seem to only create chemical runoff.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 01-19-2020 at 01:53 PM.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I think the difference between the excesses of social media and the other bad things posted here are that the latter can hurt you physically, while the former, if you are caught in its crosshairs, can do it mentally or spiritually. I'm very glad I grew up during the '70s than now, at any rate.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

--chemical weapons
    --guns
    --DDT
    --asbestos
    --GMO's

GMOs are good - and probably necessary if we want to be able to feed our ballooning population.

IMO, Social media probably does more good than harm too.