Page 10 of 441 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

edhopper says he's a believer:

True, and for those of us who watched them at the time, we were well aware they were actors in a show, even if we liked the music.
    But, damn, could Bobby Hart and Tommy Boyce crank out one great pop song after another. It's possible they may have been the first time I "noticed" the people writing the songs instead of just the performers.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I never got the hate for Scrappy Doo. It's not like the monsters were real.
    Yeah they were.

The monsters in Scooby Doo were always fake, but the ones in Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo were real from season 2 onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    But, damn, could Bobby Hart and Tommy Boyce crank out one great pop song after another. It's possible they may have been the first time I "noticed" the people writing the songs instead of just the performers.
    Not to mention Neil Diamond and Carol King.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Can anyone imagine a manufactured boy band today doing Head?

Heck, not just today, but any other one, ever?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Can anyone imagine a manufactured boy band today doing Head?

Heck, not just today, but any other one, ever?
    I saw an interview where Davy Jones said they did that film because they trying to break away from their safe teeny-bopper image, but he thought in retrospect he thought it might have been a mistake. That maybe they should have done what everyone wanted at first, a funny romp, and then do Head.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Controversial opinions? Well.. alright. I'll just stick to comics for this one...

Marvel is blander than DC Comics by a long shot with small minor exceptions.
    Astonishing Ant-Man has issues with sexism in it due to how Nick Spencer portrays the entire female cast, except for his pet character Beetle.
    Image Comics has just as much bland and forgettable comics as Marvel and DC.
    Image Comics is not good at making or bringing out comics for younger audiences.
    Alan Moore uses too much rape in his work.
    No writer has ever written a good or remotely decent Crossed work from the original creator, Garth Ennis, to current writers like Simon Spurrier and Alan Moore.
    The Boys represents everything wrong with Garth Ennis' writing.
    The Dying and the Dead represents everything wrong with Jonathan Hickman's writing.
    Saga has been in a slump since 2014 and is too reliant on killing characters to give others' motivation or development.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I saw an interview where Davy Jones said they did that film because they trying to break away from their safe teeny-bopper image, but he thought in retrospect he thought it might have been a mistake. That maybe they should have done what everyone wanted at first, a funny romp, and then do Head.
    The Beatles moved forward in increments so that their audience could grow with them. The Monkees needed an increment or two before releasing Head, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The Beatles moved forward in increments so that their audience could grow with them. The Monkees needed an increment or two before releasing Head, IMO.
    Sure, even though the older generation dismissed the Beatles they still got respect from rock fans for writing their own songs and playing their instruments. Even during their mop-top days. Monkees didn't get that same respect and it bothered them on a personal level. They wanted the critics to think of them as a real band.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I don't like Oprah. Never did.
    Thought she just ripped off Phil Donohue's gig.
    And Dr. Phil is insufferable.
    Donahue did a lot of superficial shows, but he stretched himself at times, interviewing intellectual guests like Ayn Rand (and yes, I consider her an intellectual even though I have no use for her philosophy).

I don't know if Oprah ever conversed with anyone on a comparable level, but I can't even imagine Doctor Phil making an attempt at philosophical discourse.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Donahue did a lot of superficial shows, but he stretched himself at times, interviewing intellectual guests like Ayn Rand (and yes, I consider her an intellectual even though I have no use for her philosophy).

I don't know if Oprah ever conversed with anyone on a comparable level, but I can't even imagine Doctor Phil making an attempt at philosophical discourse.
    I remember on his show one time a person in the crowd actually said to him something like, "Don't you think that your show adds to the society's
    fascination with sensationalism blah blah...?" And he actually said, "Yes. But we found that when we don't do the cooking shows and the celebrity shows, there's no one watching when we do the hard news shows..."

BANNED

I agree and disagree, he was THE Pop Star. And he made what was considered "black music" or "negro music" then acceptable to a white audience. it's hard to say if Rock would become the dominate popular music it was without Elvis.
    This is separate from evaluation his music. We also should not confuse the early Elvis with the later drugged out Vegas Elvis.

Beiber is a spit in the ocean compared to Elvis.
    IMO Elvis is the most influential rock star in history by virtue of being the first real rock STAR. Yes his musical style was derived from others but they didn't bring the music to mainstream the way he did and if we play the game of who influenced him as being more important (as some do) then the real most influential musician of all time is whatever caveman first pounded rocks together in a rhythm. Elvis is the guy who inspired every lead singer and solo artist who melded front man sex appeal with the music.
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; 03-08-2016 at 07:10 PM.

BANNED

I still wonder how a group that changed music and the culture in general and are the biggest selling group of all time ( and still a best seller) is over rated?

As with all statements like this, I ask JediMindTrick who is a non-overrated rock group?
    They are so popular today still because they were the first real popular rock band of the modern rock era at a time when people had very few listening choices. People tend to over fondly remember their first everythings and so people who grew up in this era all remember the Beatles as their first favorite rock band. You won't see a similar thing in today's world because there is such a diversity of listening options. Back then you had a very few radio stations and things like the Ed Sullivan show so everyone had to listen to the exact same things.

I can credit the Beatles for song crafting as I've heard cover versions of their songs by others that I've liked. What I really can't stand is the cat in heat quality of Paul and John's voices. I'm not exaggerating that when I hear the whine of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" that I want to gouge my ears out yet I've heard it sung by others and not experienced that.

So its the vocal quality that really bothers me about them.

Thanks JMT. I don't agree about why people love the Beatles, especially considering young people not around then are still finding them and becoming fans. But what you say about the fragmentation of things is true.
    As for the vocals, you might want to try "Because". Great harmonies.

Invincible Member

Marvel Comics is not "changing" everything.

Them doing comics aimed at kids or women is not evidence of a radical left wing political mindset. It's the exact opposite...it's a corporation trying to make money off intellectual properties.

There's no shortage of "classic" heroes at Marvel. Maybe three are off the table right now, and anyone that knows a little about the history of comics knows they'll be back. And Marvel will milk more money from you pushing their return.

Leaving Marvel because of SJW/diversity and going to DC seems an odd protest seeing DC has gay/minority/female lead titles and at a couple times in the past had even more than Marvel

Cartoony art is not inherently "indie"

BANNED

La La Land is a cute little movie but I really don't think it deserves half the Oscar nominations it got.