Page 104 of 440 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 6590
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Lol...look at post I made directly above yours!
    I know. Only saw it just after I posted alas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I really don't believe you can to the same extent as the FF.
    Warren Ellis and Mike Carey proved there is absolutely nothing outdated about the general concept with the Ultimate FF, just about the particular form the 616 universe took it to and keeps it in.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    The FF concept is not family drama in the same vein Breaking Bad or Sopranos were, and I'd be willing to bet that if Marvel tried to use that style, there'd be pitchforks in front of Marvel offices. The style of family drama that the FF has almost always been is very out of date, imo. It really has never progressed from the mid-60s. I've never been able to relate to a single bit of it, and tbh, Ben is the only one of the "family" that I enjoy reading about... but mostly when he's apart from the family.
    You're thoroughly misunderstanding the family parts of those shows. Whether it's throwing a pizza on a roof, awkward family dinners, complaining about pulp in orange juice, or scrabble games; those shows, like the FF combine mundane family "drama" with extraordinary lives and events.

It's clear you don't like the concept. But as with so many posters here need to realize, not liking something doesn't mean it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    The controversy centering on Teen Titans #1 (2014) was completely overblown.
    Ditto the objectification complaints about CRY FOR JUSTICE. Like it or hate it, the "objectification-moment" was so small a part of the story that it was not representative of the whole story.

Hmm, can I say it's not an opinion about DC Comics per se but about over-politicized fandom in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    From my personal experience i kinda disagree with this.
    Same here, though I'll state I think it's unlikely for most persons to reproduce psychic effects on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Superheroes with godlike powers never successfully sell solo comics, no matter how many times DC and Marvel stubbornly try it again. But a reasonably powered down SS as a new team member would give the dog-eared old FF concept a jolt of adrenaline and would generate many story possibilities.
    Last time I looked, THE MIGHTY THOR has been continually published for over fifty years, barring a few interruptions here or there.

The key IMO is not the powers, but the way in which the powers are used. For instance, the Lee-Buscema Surfer was such a martyr-figure that he couldn't enjoy triumphing over an enemy the way the Lee-Kirby Thor could. Say what you like about the readers of superhero comics of any time, but most of them want to have fun watching violent spectacles; they don't want to be reminded by the character that violence is always wrong, et al.

That said, the Surfer of the 90s had a run of about five years and 53 issues, so maybe the artists on that run sold the character better.
    Last edited by ouroboros; 05-14-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Ditto the objectification complaints about CRY FOR JUSTICE. Like it or hate it, the "objectification-moment" was so small a part of the story that it was not representative of the whole story.

Hmm, can I say it's not an opinion about DC Comics per se but about over-politicized fandom in general?
    It's just another comic book storyline where people overexaggerated their hate. It's the same with Civil War and Identity Crisis.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    What objectification moment was that? The complaint I remember were generally that it was too dark, the Prometheus fight had too much plot-induced-stupidity and people used the word "Justice" too much.

From my own viewpoint, I thought it had a ropy first couple of issues and then got really good - though I didn't like the art (but I appear to be the only person in the world who didn't).

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    What objectification moment was that? The complaint I remember were generally that it was too dark, the Prometheus fight had too much plot-induced-stupidity and people used the word "Justice" too much.

From my own viewpoint, I thought it had a ropy first couple of issues and then got really good - though I didn't like the art (but I appear to be the only person in the world who didn't).
    I bought all seven issues in one brick and so haven't finished the last two yet. But at the time of release, all I saw people talk about was one panel in which Green Arrow claims that Black Canary told him about a threesome that Huntress and another heroine--can't remember who just now-- had experienced with Hal Jordan. It was just one of many quasi-adult "toss-offs" in modern superhero comics, and IMO it wasn't worth even grousing about-- though I suppose if it hadn't been that, fans would've attacked Supergirl's notorious belly-shirt.

I like the art, but suspect I'm not going to like the story as much.

Invincible Member

The other character was Lady Blackhawk. If I remember correctly Gail Simone quickly discarded it in Birds of Prey(?) that came out soon after. Either Huntress or LB says to someone about the incident, "Yeah a bunch of us were at a party and Hal got drunk and passed out. We took him to bed so he could sleep it off. Next thing I know there's there's these rumors that we had sex with the guy!"

America is far from the best country on Earth. And whatever virtues it had Trump and the GOP are disposing of.

I find those that claim America's superiority have often never traveled abroad.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    America is far from the best country on Earth. And whatever virtues it had Trump and the GOP are disposing of.

I find those that claim America's superiority have often never traveled abroad.
    Every country has it's black marks in history, but rarely do they try as hard to hide them as the US does.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Every country has it's black marks in history, but rarely do they try as hard to hide them as the US does.
    But what's a little genocide and inhumane slavery among friends.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I've been thinking about this one a lot and I think I'll say it:

Reading comics on a tablet is actually way more comfortable and a better experience than on paper. You can read in the dark, an iPad is lighter and easier to handle than a big hardcover omnibus, and storage is not a problem. With certain services you can read as much as you possibly can for a monthly/yearly subscription (IE Marvel Unlimited)

I think those pros outweigh the cons of digital comics not increasing in value or costing just as much as paperback in most cases

However, once we start getting into animations and sounds I am out. Just because I like technology doesn't mean I can't still be a purist

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But what's a little genocide and inhumane slavery among friends.
    But folks want to act like it didn't happen or was not that big of a deal.