Page 105 of 440 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    But folks want to act like it didn't happen or was not that big of a deal.
    Or better yet, "I didn't own any slaves or kill any natives."

But more than that, today we are just a less civil and treat our people worse than so many other countries.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    I bought all seven issues in one brick and so haven't finished the last two yet. But at the time of release, all I saw people talk about was one panel in which Green Arrow claims that Black Canary told him about a threesome that Huntress and another heroine--can't remember who just now-- had experienced with Hal Jordan.
    Ah yes. That was just a throwaway line reinforcing Ollie's reputation.

Storm in a teacup really - But I do like the way Gail Simone handled it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Last time I looked, THE MIGHTY THOR has been continually published for over fifty years, barring a few interruptions here or there.

The key IMO is not the powers, but the way in which the powers are used. For instance, the Lee-Buscema Surfer was such a martyr-figure that he couldn't enjoy triumphing over an enemy the way the Lee-Kirby Thor could. Say what you like about the readers of superhero comics of any time, but most of them want to have fun watching violent spectacles; they don't want to be reminded by the character that violence is always wrong, et al.

That said, the Surfer of the 90s had a run of about five years and 53 issues, so maybe the artists on that run sold the character better.
    Thor gets beaten a lot. He's not in the same class as the Surfer, the Spectre and so on. And even so, his comic has never been especially popular. It's been canceled several times.

No, 53 issues is not a successful tun. You're welcome to see it otherwise.

The Surfer belongs on a team, and he can't be vastly more powerful than the other members. He's not going to sell a solo comic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Superheroes with godlike powers never successfully sell solo comics, no matter how many times DC and Marvel stubbornly try it again. But a reasonably powered down SS as a new team member would give the dog-eared old FF concept a jolt of adrenaline and would generate many story possibilities.
    You have a greatly inaccurate understanding of what successful means.

And really, how is it still the Silver Surfer if you remove some of his core characteristics?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You have a greatly inaccurate understanding of what successful means.

And really, how is it still the Silver Surfer if you remove some of his core characteristics?
    Here's what's accurate. An "ongong" is supposed to do just that. It's supposed to go on. It's not supposed to peter out after 40 or 50 issues. If a comics company planned ahead that a title would run for only that long, then it would be a maxi-series, and the stories could be structured so that the comic would build to that conclusion point. You'd get a better product that way too, than by just thinking, "We'll sloppily end this when people refuse to buy it any more."

Powering the Surfer down to a level where he's writable, relatable and team material would not change his character. Of course, they could keep him the way he is and off the market, and so help a few aging fanboys on messageboards cling to their childhoods. But there's no money in that, is there?

BANNED

As far back as 1989, Steve Englehart said that the Fantastic Four was stale and needed a personnel change. His solution wasn't good, but his diagnosis was correct.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Here's what's accurate. An "ongong" is supposed to do just that. It's supposed to go on.
    So basically be Spider-Man, X-Men, or DC's Trinity then? all others are failures?

I don't think that's a useful definition.
    I also don't think your definition of ongoing books is accurate, considering that they basically don't exist.

Powering the Surfer down to a level where he's writable, relatable and team material would not change his character. Of course, they could keep him the way he is and off the market, and so help a few aging fanboys on messageboards cling to their childhoods. But there's no money in that, is there?
    Silver Surfer kind of stories are not really compatible with being part of a team.
    Last edited by Carabas; 05-16-2018 at 07:53 AM.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Grunge saved the world from 80s Hair Bands. I'd take Nirvanna, Pearl Jam and Green Day (not Grunge, but Neo Punk) over the likes of Poison and Motley Crew any day.
    Look, I will happily take Pearl Jam and Green Day. But you can keep Nirvanna and all the clothing that grunge inspired. Nirvanna lead into bands like Oasis, and songs like wonderwall. And Oasis can go jump off a cliff.

How did Nirvana lead to Oasis? They're absolutely nothing alike.

And that's sort of the ignored point I made the other day. Grunge wasn't a style of music. I was a way to sell Doc Martins and market NW bands. There was no sound, there was no formula.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Oasis was good rip off of earlier Brit-Pop/Rock bands as opposed to bad rip offs. If that makes any sense. I actually really like Wonderwall.
    I take it you never had to listen to them on loop? Give me Fall out boy or Starship cobra, or techno. Just not oasis every time you changed classes in high school and idiots who thought that was the pinnacle of music. I'll happily take savage garden over Oasis.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Look, I will happily take Pearl Jam and Green Day. But you can keep Nirvanna and all the clothing that grunge inspired. Nirvanna lead into bands like Oasis, and songs like wonderwall. And Oasis can go jump off a cliff.
    Stone Temple Pilots, Crash Test Dummies, Smashing Pumpkins, sure. But Grunge did not lead to Oasis.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Every country has it's black marks in history, but rarely do they try as hard to hide them as the US does.
    Except for Japan. Japan refuses to acknowledge a lot.

God some of my friends though Oasis was the second coming.
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

s s
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    How did Nirvana lead to Oasis? They're absolutely nothing alike.

And that's sort of the ignored point I made the other day. Grunge wasn't a style of music. I was a way to sell Doc Martins and market NW bands. There was no sound, there was no formula.
    I don't mean they literally lead to them. I mean the idea of that sort of tone of singing. The "emo" ish, no dance sounds, down beat sort of music. People seemed to like that sort of sound, that's all that I mean.

True enough, but a lot of people associate the music that was played at that time by the fashion that the musicians wore, and thus, when you say Grunge a lot of people associate acts with it. And yes, you're right, it was, but it was also annoying as all get out when you want an upbeat song and you get...well Teen Spirit played over and over and over again on the damn bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Stone Temple Pilots, Crash Test Dummies, Smashing Pumpkins, sure. But Grunge did not lead to Oasis.
    Okay let's put it this way, you're right that it lead to those, but when I say it lead to them I mean that the sort of feeling and that "emo-ish" tragic meloncholy sound at times rose out of the non formulaic sound that bands of the early 90s had.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneBreaker View Post
    God some of my friends though Oasis was the second coming.
    Oh god yes. I heard wonderwall so many times that anytime I hear it now I have to change the channel.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

during the 2016 election dems was like

CvgU8f3XYAA7HoW.jpg