Page 106 of 440 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 6590
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    So basically be Spider-Man, X-Men, or DC's Trinity then? all others are failures?

I don't think that's a useful definition.
    I also don't think your definition of ongoing books is accurate, considering that they basically don't exist.

Silver Surfer kind of stories are not really compatible with being part of a team.
    Eh, I'd say he worked as a member of the Defenders.

Invincible Member

I really need to learn to stop clicking on certain videos...some of the stuff surrounding the latest comic book controversies are turning my mind into mush.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Hilary lost the election fair and square

That's not a Trump endorsement

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The other character was Lady Blackhawk. If I remember correctly Gail Simone quickly discarded it in Birds of Prey(?) that came out soon after. Either Huntress or LB says to someone about the incident, "Yeah a bunch of us were at a party and Hal got drunk and passed out. We took him to bed so he could sleep it off. Next thing I know there's there's these rumors that we had sex with the guy!"
    I guess Simone's as free as any other pro to play retcon games, but it really doesn't make a lot of sense that Black Canary-- the ostensible source of the rumor, according to Green Arrow-- would spread baseless rumors about her team-mates. (Now Babs Gordon might not be above trash-talking Huntress, but it doesn't make sense for BC.)

Not that CRY FOR JUSTICE is any classic. I finished it, and even though it's chock-full of references to Classic DC, and though Robinson praises Grant Morrison to the skies, CFJ comes off like an imitation IDENTITY CRISIS, from the "tough on crime" heroes to a highly improbable scene-- much longer than the one in IC-- where one super-villain almost takes down a small army of superheroes.

On the plus side, Mario Cascioli was a much better storyteller than Rags Morales IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Every country has it's black marks in history, but rarely do they try as hard to hide them as the US does.
    What's your criteria here? I don't think any country likes to talk about its past sins, and when they do, they usually whitewash them. Do you see any of the Muslim countries talking about making reparations to the descendants of slaves?

Actually, here's an opinion piece on that very topic.

Bashing the U.S. isn't nearly as "controversial" as criticizing the wider history of the slave trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Thor gets beaten a lot. He's not in the same class as the Surfer, the Spectre and so on. And even so, his comic has never been especially popular. It's been canceled several times.

No, 53 issues is not a successful tun. You're welcome to see it otherwise.

The Surfer belongs on a team, and he can't be vastly more powerful than the other members. He's not going to sell a solo comic.
    I don't remember any cancellations up through the nineties. The original title ran through 1996, I believe without interruption. Just by way of defining terms, I don't consider it a "cancellation" if the company ends a series and almost immediately reboots it in a new format. Cancelling a feature and letting lie for several years shows the company's lack of faith that it can sell at all. But if Marvel drops THOR THE MIGHTY AVENGER in 2011 and then starts up THE MIGHTY THOR the same year-- which the company did, according to GCD-- that means they have faith in the character and just want to try a different approach. Sort of like what I'm saying happened with the five-year-run of SILVER SURFER. That approach was more successful than the first series, so it's not impossible that someone could do even better.

I don't necessarily reject the need to define the character's powers a little more narrowly, though, since Lee and his collaborators constantly waffled on the level of the Surfer's powers. Thor's powers are great, but limited enough to permit the reader to engage with his perils.

Here's what's accurate. An "ongong" is supposed to do just that. It's supposed to go on. It's not supposed to peter out after 40 or 50 issues. If a comics company planned ahead that a title would run for only that long, then it would be a maxi-series, and the stories could be structured so that the comic would build to that conclusion point. You'd get a better product that way too, than by just thinking, "We'll sloppily end this when people refuse to buy it any more."

Powering the Surfer down to a level where he's writable, relatable and team material would not change his character. Of course, they could keep him the way he is and off the market, and so help a few aging fanboys on messageboards cling to their childhoods. But there's no money in that, is there?
    Another controversial opinion: I think making references to "aging fanboys" is a facile way out of an argument, just this side of an ad hominem attack.

BANNED

Thor gets beaten a lot. He's not in the same class as the Surfer, the Spectre and so on. And even so, his comic has never been especially popular. It's been canceled several times.

No, 53 issues is not a successful tun. You're welcome to see it otherwise.

The Surfer belongs on a team, and he can't be vastly more powerful than the other members. He's not going to sell a solo comic.
    The Spectre gets beaten every time I have seen him show up.

Ultimate Member

I really need to learn to stop clicking on certain videos...some of the stuff surrounding the latest comic book controversies are turning my mind into mush.
    Your friend Black Frankenstein is really going off on Waid.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Your friend Black Frankenstein is really going off on Waid.
    Yeah, he's trying to cape for a popular Youtuber who can't get his comic into stores. Said Youtuber has an ongoing feud with Waid and regularly starts twitter beef with professionals when he isn't flushing comics down the toilet or calling pros "pedophiles" or "c*md*mpters." It's no wonder that some stores don't want to be associated with him. Our special friend has drank the kool-aid that somehow said Youtuber's comic would have helped "save the industry" but Waid has bullied and somehow "colluded" to prevent that Youtuber's "free speech".

Yeah, he's trying to cape for a popular Youtuber who can't get his comic into stores. Said Youtuber has an ongoing feud with Waid and regularly starts twitter beef with professionals when he isn't flushing comics down the toilet or calling pros "pedophiles" or "c*md*mpters." It's no wonder that some stores don't want to be associated with him. Our special friend has drank the kool-aid that somehow said Youtuber's comic would have helped "save the industry" but Waid has bullied and somehow "colluded" to prevent that Youtuber's "free speech".
    Are you guys talking about Diversity and Comics? I'm just now getting into this drama. It's wonderful entertainment.

No discussion of D&C, thanks. We have zero intention of allowing those folks a platform for their abhorrent views and actions.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Aaaaaaaaaaah This is very interesting. The drama gets better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Hilary lost the election fair and square
    Though she had more votes than her opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    On the plus side, Mario Cascioli was a much better storyteller than Rags Morales IMO.
    I'd disagree strongly on that one.