Page 111 of 440 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 6590

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Maybe I worded it wrong. It's not that they're trying to turn me but everything on TV seems to be coming from the left. Maybe I'm just focusing on talk shows and SNL type of stuff. It seems different lately. It used to seem more fun but I really feel these people are just being hateful instead of trying to make you laugh.
    One author devoted an entire book, PRIMETIME PROPAGANDA, interviewing TV show-makers about their politics and how they inserted said politics into the entertainment.

Now, anyone who checks out the author's name is likely to say that he's just as much of a propagandist for the right. Whether that invalidates his research is anyone's guess (I have not yet read the book).

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I don't even know what's correct or incorrect. People just go back and forth until you end up where you started. No one on either side admits they're wrong about anything.
    That would indeed be a good barometer for propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's largely an unintended side effect of the Right's continuing move to ever more extremes. In a system with only two sides the other side will naturally and pretty much automatically expand to occupy the moderate territory vacated by the Right.
    I find that the Left is moving to greater extremes as well, but I don't think that either group is moving toward the center. Rather, the politicians who would have been centrist two decades ago began to be increasingly influenced by the "lunatic fringes."

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    To move away from politics for a moment...

I find that the love Solo is getting from the fan base and the vitriol that The Last Jedi received from the same community paints a very clear picture of some of my least favorite parts of genre fandom.
    LAST JEDI probably alienated a lot of fans because it's trying to build up new characters rather than celebrating the old ones, and because the new movies aren't doing as well as they oughtta. In contrast, SOLO, while mediocre, gives the viewers the characters they love.

When I saw the film, the audience cracked up at every single "New Chewey" joke. I mean, some of them were OK, but even the good ones weren't THAT good.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Minor point, the national anthem is not the same thing as the pledge of allegiance. And the pledge isn't at football games. Carry on...
    The custom of standing for the anthem is an old one, though. I just finished reading a Dos Passos work from 1930, in which some characters are excoriated for not standing when the tune is played.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    I find that the Left is moving to greater extremes as well, but I don't think that either group is moving toward the center. Rather, the politicians who would have been centrist two decades ago began to be increasingly influenced by the "lunatic fringes."
    Most interesting notion that I've heard about this is that preventing budgetary earmarks is one of the causes of politicians moving to the extremes. Once incumbents lost the ability to bring bacon home through horse trading they had no incentive to cooperate across parties. Further, they had to rely much more on donors to back campaigns, who have a tendency to demand far more ideological compliance.

Latest controversial opinion: "Zero tolerance eventually gives way to zero effects."

For instance, if everyone jumps on Bill Maher for making a joke with racial content-- though not a racist joke-- sooner or later the populace gets tired of the overreactions to the petty stuff, and that doesn't bode well for actual injustices.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Internet world vs the real world. On the Internet, everyone is outspoken and ''woke'' when it comes to racism. In the real life? Hell naw! People are not messing up their money to play Martin Luther King. ****, as we see with the Harvey Weinstein scandal, people don't even speak out about sexual harassment, cause they don't want to **** up their money. On Twitter i would see someone criticize Israel and it'll get a few hundred retweets at best. But have over a 10 thousand likes or so. Let that sink in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Latest controversial opinion: "Zero tolerance eventually gives way to zero effects."

For instance, if everyone jumps on Bill Maher for making a joke with racial content-- though not a racist joke-- sooner or later the populace gets tired of the overreactions to the petty stuff, and that doesn't bode well for actual injustices.
    I've never seen a zero-tolerance policy that didn't create injustices. You should have sense enough to evaluate occurrences case-by-case, instead of posturing as a hard-ass and saying you'll take punitive measures no matter what the facts of the case might be.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BaneBreaker View Post
    With regard to pledges and anthems, I'll always found reciting the pledge before school to be absurd. So much so, that around 16 or 17, I eventually started to just stand and not speak and eventually not standing at all. 18 years later, still feel the same way. As if not reciting every school day for 12 years makes me less of an American
    According to my conservative Aunt, if kids were forced to say the pledge and pray in school, we would have no more school shootings. So...

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

The asinine belief that violent video games, movies, comic books, books, tv shows, etc is to blame for the violence that happens in the real world is most illogical and utterly asinine which is why should cease being used because it's as broken as the notion that humans only use 10 percent of their brains after it was debunked, or that the US landing on the moon is a hoax which has had all those theories debunked before the Mythbusters and on the Mythbusters episode.

Blame the persons that commit the violent actions instead of a video game, movie, etc as a scapegoat.
    Last edited by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon; 06-04-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    The asinine belief that violent video games, movies, comic books, books, tv shows, etc is to blame for the violence that happens in the real world is most illogical and utterly asinine which is why should cease being used because it's as broken as the notion that humans only use 10 percent of their brains after it was debunked, or that the US lending on the moon is a hoax which has had all those theories debunked before the Mythbusters and on the Mythbusters episode.

Blame the persons that commit the violent actions instead of a video game, movie, etc as a scapegoat.
    I agree, but can you explain why America, a place where the availablility to buy guns has always been a right, is only now having these random mass shootings?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I agree, but can you explain why America, a place where the availablility to buy guns has always been a right, is only now having these random mass shootings?
    There's a copycat factor at work.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    That's because the violent stuff can possibly affect you if a person is either unstable to begin with or affected by some type of drug (legal or illegal). For the rest of us, nah.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    The asinine belief that violent video games, movies, comic books, books, tv shows, etc is to blame for the violence that happens in the real world is most illogical and utterly asinine which is why should cease being used because it's as broken as the notion that humans only use 10 percent of their brains after it was debunked, or that the US lending on the moon is a hoax which has had all those theories debunked before the Mythbusters and on the Mythbusters episode.

Video games and films are clearly scapegoats.

I don't think you can stop the blame at jut the person who commits the crime though. There are lots of factors which need to be taken into account, such as the pressure they are under and whether the systems are in place to recognise unstable people and help them before they do something stupid.

And of course gun control.