Page 129 of 440 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 6596

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Controversial Opinion: The Muppet Christmas Carol is the best Christmas Carol.
    Counter opinion:

is better.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    Hate to even give this pretentious nonsense press but ignorance like this is all too common and deserves to be exposed for what it is.

Apparently, he never reads comics but he knows that they can't be "profound" because they include pictures.

----
    "Bill Maher doubles down on Stan Lee comments: Reaction 'proves my point'"

"Bill Maher clarified — yet also doubled down — on his controversial comments about the late Marvel legend Stan Lee.

The HBO Real Time host told Larry King in an interview posted Wednesday that he didn’t intend any offense to Lee’s memory, but that comic book fandom culture’s explosive reaction to his diss “proves my point.”

“Talk about making my point for me,” Maher said. “Yeah, I don’t know very much about Stan Lee and it certainly wasn’t a swipe at Stan Lee…I am agnostic on Stan Lee. I don’t read comic books. I didn’t even read them when I was a child. What I was saying is: A culture that thinks that comic books and comic book movies are profound meditations on the human condition is a dumb f—ing culture.

And for people to, like, get mad at that just proves my point.”

The talk show host claimed he didn’t even realize people were mad because he doesn’t “follow social media like that, every stupid thing people lose their s— about."

Originally, Maher wrote on his Real Time blog, “The guy who created Spider-Man and the Hulk has died, and America is in mourning. Deep, deep mourning for a man who inspired millions to, I don’t know, watch a movie, I guess,” he wrote in the post, which he titled “Adulting. “Someone on Reddit posted, ‘I’m so incredibly grateful I lived in a world that included Stan Lee.’ Personally, I’m grateful I lived in a world that included oxygen and trees, but to each his own.

“Now, I have nothing against comic books — I read them now and then when I was a kid and I was all out of Hardy Boys,” he explained. “But the assumption everyone had back then, both the adults and the kids, was that comics were for kids, and when you grew up you moved on to big-boy books without the pictures.”

Maher went on to write how, in the past 20 years, “adults decided they didn’t have to give up kid stuff” and “pretended comic books were actually sophisticated literature,” while “some dumb people got to be professors by writing theses with titles like Otherness and Heterodoxy in the Silver Surfer.

Maher concluded his blog post by claiming our culture hasn’t “necessarily gotten stupider,” we’re just “using our smarts on stupid stuff.” He added, “I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to suggest that Donald Trump could only get elected in a country that thinks comic books are important.”

https://ew.com/movies/2018/11/21/bil...ents-reaction/

-----

People get mad when someone disses anything they like, not just comics.

That Maher would try to create some controversy and get some ratings by making remarks like that right now when Lee just died only illustrates what a douchebag he is. Besides, as with almost everything Maher talks about, he has only the most superficial understanding of the matter.

But don't worry. Stan Lee will be remembered and remembered in a good way long after Maher is forgotten.

Maher: Remembered for his anti-Muslim terrorist fear-mongering.

Lee: Remembered for speaking out against racism and bigotry in all forms.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    People get mad when someone disses anything they like, not just comics.

That Maher would try to create some controversy and get some ratings by making remarks like that right now when Lee just died only illustrates what a douchebag he is. Besides, as with almost everything Maher talks about, he has only the most superficial understanding of the matter.

But don't worry. Stan Lee will be remembered and remembered in a good way long after Maher is forgotten.

Maher: Remembered for his anti-Muslim terrorist fear-mongering.

Lee: Remembered for speaking out against racism and bigotry in all forms.
    Admittedly, I took this one personally -- but I also ignored even commenting on it until he reportedly "doubled-down" in saying people defending Stan Lee and comics in general were "proving his point" about comic book readers instead of just admitting that, regardless of his personal opinion, someone who doesn't read comics isn't the best judge of said medium.

Ultimately, though, I know most of you are right about this -- Stan (like a modern day Homer) will be cherished and remembered for a long time to come while the less said about Maher, probably the better.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 11-23-2018 at 04:20 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Just remember: Maher's goal is not to offer views that better society. It's to prompt views of and comments to his website. He and his managers are not going to mention what those numbers actually represent when they use them in negotiating his next contract.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Just remember: Maher's goal is not to offer views that better society. It's to prompt views of and comments to his website. He and his managers are not going to mention what those numbers actually represent when they use them in negotiating his next contract.
    That's a very good point. It's not as if he were recorded without his knowledge while making these statements in private. He was using Stan Lee's death to create a reaction and the resultant buzz to make himself more relevant.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    That's a very good point. It's not as if he were recorded without his knowledge while making these statements in private. He was using Stan Lee's death to create a reaction and the resultant buzz to make himself more relevant.
    To me, it has always seemed like this guy is bitterly looking back on the stretch that he was on one of the three big broadcast networks with the knowledge that things have moved on from a time when "Comic-Con" was a punchline.

You can bank on that this guy knows to the exact square inch just how much room he believes that "Comics" culture has taken in the public consciousness that he believes is rightfully his for being what I'm sure he believes is more "Serious" entertainment.

Astonishing Member

Maher's a prick; News at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Maher's a prick; News at 11.
    Indeed.

I was trying to think of if I could come up with a lone instance where the guy wasn't at least partially along that line.

I drew a blank. While it could be the case, it didn't really come to mind.

I think myself and other Athiests would be very happy to have irrefutable evidence of life after death. Possibly more so than devoutly religious people.
    Not sure this is much of a controversial opinion, but I wonder if the point has been brought up enough in conversation.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

I think myself and other Athiests would be very happy to have irrefutable evidence of life after death. Possibly more so than devoutly religious people.
    I don't know. I think that most people are afraid of dying, of how your life will end, than really by the idea of not existing anymore. I mean, there is no suffering in not existing. I have not existed for billion of years prior to my birth without any problems lol.

A new life after this one? Ok, why not? But what life exactly? Eternal damnation cause i dared to eat meat on Friday, miserable, damnable me? Eternal bliss, for some reason? (whatever that may means)

250 years as tree? 3 as a bee? Careful what you bargain for.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I don't know. I think that most people are afraid of dying, of how your life will end, than really by the idea of not existing anymore. I mean, there is no suffering in not existing. I have not existed for billion of years prior to my birth without any problems lol.
    I wonder if it's dying that more people are afraid of or rather, that their life had no meaning or significance with their death being the final, irreclaimable stroke?
    Personally, I hate the thought of not existing. Proof of a life beyond this one would imply a degree of significance to existence.

A new life after this one? Ok, why not? But what life exactly? Eternal damnation cause i dared to eat meat on Friday, miserable, damnable me? Eternal bliss, for some reason? (whatever that may means)
    250 years as tree? 3 as a bee? Careful what you bargain for.
    I guess proof of knowledge would include what the life after would entail. That entailment would make all the difference in the world to how people would live their lives in this one.

Sorry everyone. My head is full of big questions and deep thoughts today. Too much coffee I guess.

Last edited by Jack Dracula; 11-25-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Not sure this is much of a controversial opinion, but I wonder if the point has been brought up enough in conversation.
    It's pretty much a fact that some want definite evidence of life after death or even of a higher power. We all have differing levels of needed proof. The mix of religious beliefs and supernatural beliefs can combine to show us that there is something. Then, they can be considered to conflict and one of them must be wrong. Others won't be convinced until they actually die and find something after that.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    It's pretty much a fact that some want definite evidence of life after death or even of a higher power. We all have differing levels of needed proof.
    Are you speaking as an athiest yourself? Just curious.

The mix of religious beliefs and supernatural beliefs can combine to show us that there is something. Then, they can be considered to conflict and one of them must be wrong. Others won't be convinced until they actually die and find something after that.
    In my previous post I'm referring to actual, irrefutable scientific evidence.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 11-25-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Are you speaking as an athiest yourself? Just curious.

In my previous post I'm referring to actual, irrefutable scientific evidence.
    I believe in something, but am not sure what that is. I doubt I'm an atheist. My post was mainly to classify where different people stood and wasn't meant to pick one belief (or non-belief) over another.

I don't believe anyone goes on pure faith. The proof some people need may be a Biblical verse. Or what their parents or religious educator told them. I respect any criteria one has for their belief. An analogous situation may be scientists and the belief of extraterrestrial life. There are scientists who believe it exists despite no proof of it. However, they base their beliefs on other factors and long odds that every planet out there would crap out. This is NOT confusing aliens stealing people or building the pyramids. This is a belief that there are probably some cellular organisms somewhere hundreds of light years away. Belief and proof aren't the same for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I believe in something, but am not sure what that is. I doubt I'm an atheist. My post was mainly to classify where different people stood and wasn't meant to pick one belief (or non-belief) over another.

I don't believe anyone goes on pure faith. The proof some people need may be a Biblical verse. Or what their parents or religious educator told them. I respect any criteria one has for their belief. An analogous situation may be scientists and the belief of extraterrestrial life. There are scientists who believe it exists despite no proof of it. However, they base their beliefs on other factors and long odds that every planet out there would crap out. This is NOT confusing aliens stealing people or building the pyramids. This is a belief that there are probably some cellular organisms somewhere hundreds of light years away. Belief and proof aren't the same for everyone.
    But those scientist will change their guesses about probability (not really beliefs) if new evidence is presented. There is a catagory of religious believer (certainly not all) that will not deter from their litteral beliefs in the Bible, no matter what evidence is presented.

Difference between atheist and believers dying. Atheists think, oh well, this is it. But if I am wrong, that's nice that I still exist. For a believer, hey, I am going to heaven, but if I am wrong...OH SHI**?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!