Page 130 of 440 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180230 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I think myself and other Athiests would be very happy to have irrefutable evidence of life after death. Possibly more so than devoutly religious people.
    Not sure this is much of a controversial opinion, but I wonder if the point has been brought up enough in conversation.
    I'm not sure how I'd feel about life after death.

If anything convinced me of the existence of God (or any all powerful omnipotent omniscient deity) then I'd be absolutely furious.

But those scientist will change their guesses about probability (not really beliefs) if new evidence is presented. There is a catagory of religious believer (certainly not all) that will not deter from their litteral beliefs in the Bible, no matter what evidence is presented.
    Not all of them. Some scientists when proven wrong will try to discredit or deny the new evidence that goes against their personal belifes or theories.

Again, not all, but some.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Not all of them. Some scientists when proven wrong will try to discredit or deny the new evidence that goes against their personal belifes or theories.

Almost none. And the thing about science is that it is not reliant on anyone's beliefs, but is a collective understanding. The research eventually works out was is true. The scientific arguments from 50 years ago become settled. People are still arguing religious ideas from 2000 years ago.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

Yes, but if provided with undeniable proof they can't discredit they'll accept it's true even if they don't like it and continue futilely trying. How many opponents of Climate Control actually believe the truth that Man is the cause even if they accept it's happening?

How about Evolution?

Evolution is an interesting example cause there are so many proves of it, it's so overwhelmingly undeniable that even religious extremists found themselves in a situation that denying it was more and more ridiculous. (didn't stop some of them to keep trying though)

But cause they are an imaginative bunch they came up with a whole new shinny solution, bullshit who sounds like science, smells like science but sure as hell isn't science. Creationism!!

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I'm not sure how I'd feel about life after death.

If anything convinced me of the existence of God (or any all powerful omnipotent omniscient deity) then I'd be absolutely furious.
    Such a being would certainly have some explaining to do.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Such a being would certainly have some explaining to do.
    Only if God is actually both omniscient and omnipotent. Take one of those out of the equation, and messes are inevitable.

Never understood that need for perfection from their gods that so many monotheists have.

Polytheistic religions don't seem so obsessed by that but well, i guess that if you really want to believe in only one god you can as well imagine him/her/it as a perfect being who can do no wrong.

Can't tell other people that they are wrong otherwise lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Evolution is an interesting example cause there are so many proves of it, it's so overwhelmingly undeniable that even religious extremists found themselves in a situation that denying it was more and more ridiculous. (didn't stop some of them to keep trying though)

But cause they are an imaginative bunch they came up with a whole new shinny solution, bullshit who sounds like science, smells like science but sure as hell isn't science. Creationism!!
    My favorite is when people argue that God puts misleading scientific evidence in places to trick non-believers.
    Of course Men and Dinosaurs lived side by side, all evidence to the contrary is just a test of faith from God to see if you'll believe his word over your own eyes!
    Luckily that brand of crazy is dying out. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    My favorite is when people argue that God puts misleading scientific evidence in places to trick non-believers.
    Of course Men and Dinosaurs lived side by side, all evidence to the contrary is just a test of faith from God to see if you'll believe his word over your own eyes!
    And then it is God, and not Satan, who is the Great Deceiver.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Only if God is actually both omniscient and omnipotent. Take one of those out of the equation, and messes are inevitable.
    Take none, either or both out and an explanation is still in order - as well as a punch in the groin for good measure.

Never understood that need for perfection from their gods that so many monotheists have.
    It serves to dispel those nasty questions about fallibility the heathens keep bringing up and keeps the doubts and regrets at bay by absolving them of responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And then it is God, and not Satan, who is the Great Deceiver.
    Who created Satan? Consider the source.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    You hope in vain. Some will always find a way to justify their fanaticism. Especially when it's contradictory. The alternative is to question those things that license their sense of superiority.

That is not to say there is no divinity. Only to say we don't, we can't understand it.

BANNED

It is equally fun to discuss discrediting Christian beliefs as it is to do the same to Jewish and Islamic beliefs.

And, well, all religions.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    It is equally fun to discuss discrediting Christian beliefs as it is to do the same to Jewish and Islamic beliefs.

And, well, all religions.
    Well, i wouldn't mind any of those beliefs if they didn't have such a negative impact on society. I mean, you can believe that the universe has been created by a twelve legged multi dimensional pink mole if such is your fancy, i don't care. Now, if you start to say that we shouldn't use vaccination cause the mole said so in its magic book of awesomeness then we have a problem.

Boisterously Confused

Well, i wouldn't mind any of those beliefs if they didn't have such a negative impact on society. I mean, you can believe that the universe has been created by a twelve legged multi dimensional pink mole if such is your fancy, i don't care. Now, if you start to say that we shouldn't use vaccination cause the mole said so in its magic book of awesomeness then we have a problem.
    You mean...The Magic Book Of Awesomeness...is flawed?
    Image.jpg