Page 139 of 440 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189239 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 6586
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

The number of iconic superheroes introduced into the market began to dip in the 70’s because the way Superhero books were written changed. Prior to that characters were written as independent entities then gradually introduced into the large shared universe they were apart of. Characters had time to develop their own supporting cast and rogue’s gallery. In short they had time to develop their own individual identity before company crossover X took over their book for three months and their individual development took a back seat. It’s why new characters like Miss Marvel really don’t have their own rogue’s gallery.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The number of iconic superheroes introduced into the market began to dip in the 70’s because the way Superhero books were written changed. Prior to that characters were written as independent entities then gradually introduced into the large shared universe they were apart of. Characters had time to develop their own supporting cast and rogue’s gallery. In short they had time to develop their own individual identity before company crossover X took over their book for three months and their individual development took a back seat. It’s why new characters like Miss Marvel really don’t have their own rogue’s gallery.
    Agree. Sort of.

There was an attempt to follow this approach for both Nova (1976) and Ms. Marvel (1977), who each had a number of distinctive enemies unique to them (The Sphinx, and Deathbird are probably the most prominent from each character's first run). It's just as possible that the number of titles at the time made it difficult for those newer characters to achieve the kind of numbers publishers hoped that they would.

Still, those two may well have been the last major characters launched that weren't automatically assigned a niche in the shared universe, as opposed to finding a niche into which they fit on their own.

The world would be a happier place, if more people realized that when they want things to be less policial, they actually mean that they wish things didn't challenge their world view. I have spent a lot of time on the internet, and I don't think I've ever seen a situation where someone says they wish a book, movie, show, news program was less political when they agree with the world view that is being expressed.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    People claim HipHop fans (especially "old heads") are too critical of today's "rap". But I think we're totally reasonable compared to HardRock/HEAVYMETAL fans. Just go visit the pages of Loudwire, Metal Hammer etc to see what I'm talking about. We're waaaay more objective
    I've been a fan of both genres since 1988 (GNR) and 1990 (NWA), and in my opinion the last truly great hip hop album was Hieroglyphics in like 1998. I'm probably not very objective though.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    The world would be a happier place, if more people realized that when they want things to be less policial, they actually mean that they wish things didn't challenge their world view. I have spent a lot of time on the internet, and I don't think I've ever seen a situation where someone says they wish a book, movie, show, news program was less political when they agree with the world view that is being expressed.
    Ah - but it's not politics if you agree with it.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    I've been a fan of both genres since 1988 (GNR) and 1990 (NWA), and in my opinion the last truly great hip hop album was Hieroglyphics in like 1998. I'm probably not very objective though.
    My cut off point was around that time period too tbh. I could probably stretch it further into the early 00's if I'm generous lol

Invincible Member

It's kind of funny that You Tube is selling movies like Blade Runner, Citizen Kane, and Network for around $3.99 or so, but they want to charge $13.99 for something called "Bluberella" which is a Uwe Boll parody of his Bloodrayne movies.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I disagree with the notion that “a black person can’t be racist”. I do so because it paints the world in a black and white paradigm, when their are so many other combinations. Their are more races then black and white, and power and influence are relative. Can you really say the average black man in America has less power then a migrant worker for example.

I hate the common, and often unchallenged phrase that the book is always better than the movie. Yes, good books are always better than bad movies, but people often forget some of the greatest movies are based on books. The Godfather, The Graduate, The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Bridge on the River Kwai, Apocalypse Now, Psycho, Jaws, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, The Shining, and countless more. The problem is that most page to film adaptations are boring retreads that don't have anything interesting to say.

Mighty Member

People claim HipHop fans (especially "old heads") are too critical of today's "rap". But I think we're totally reasonable compared to HardRock/HEAVYMETAL fans. Just go visit the pages of Loudwire, Metal Hammer etc to see what I'm talking about. We're waaaay more objective
    There’s no such thing as a subjective hip-hop fan, sorry. They automatically dismiss anything that isn’t from the golden age era, which sucks because there’s a lot of layered projects that are being released.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Mighty Member

I dont think theres enough info to support gun bans.

I think this #metoo/socially concious movement has erred on the side of infantalizing women or treating them like they are on a moral pedestal.

I definitely think there are women lying or at the very least if we got the whole story it would paint a very different light
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 01-08-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I hate the common, and often unchallenged phrase that the book is always better than the movie. Yes, good books are always better than bad movies, but people often forget some of the greatest movies are based on books. The Godfather, The Graduate, The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Bridge on the River Kwai, Apocalypse Now, Psycho, Jaws, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, The Shining, and countless more. The problem is that most page to film adaptations are boring retreads that don't have anything interesting to say.
    I can't remember who said it first ( Hitchcock?), but there's a saying something like, you can't make a great movie from a great novel, but you can make a great movie from a mediocre novel.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I disagree with the notion that “a black person can’t be racist”. I do so because it paints the world in a black and white paradigm, when their are so many other combinations. Their are more races then black and white, and power and influence are relative. Can you really say the average black man in America has less power then a migrant worker for example.
    I disagree with that for much simpler reasons. It's just nonsense.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I can't remember who said it first ( Hitchcock?), but there's a saying something like, you can't make a great movie from a great novel, but you can make a great movie from a mediocre novel.
    I disagree with the first part, but definitely agree with the latter.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

My cut off point was around that time period too tbh. I could probably stretch it further into the early 00's if I'm generous lol
    I could probably stretch into the early 00s with a few indie hip hop records, but they were definitely the exception ha.