Page 140 of 441 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190240 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 6605
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I disagree with the first part, but definitely agree with the latter.
    I think the idea is that what might make a novel great is intrinsically tied to the medium and how the written word works that can't always be translated into film which is a different medium. Every so often you hear someone say something of a book that's been optioned, "It's a great novel, but it's unfilmable..."

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I disagree with the first part, but definitely agree with the latter.
    I think it's hard to make a great movie out of a great book, but not impossible. I think the big problem comes down to approach. To me the difference is whether or not the intend the movie to stand on its own. When I look at things like most of the YA movies that come out these days starting with the Harry Potter movies. Others being The Hunger Games, Divergent, ect. They are made into movies because they're popular books that the kids are into. No one decided to make those movies because they had interesting takes. In fact the only Harry Potter movie I would consider good is when the got a "real" director.

In the examples that I listed, others being The Color Purple, Blade Runner, Jurassic Park, Vertigo, the film is the main goal of the filmmakers.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

As a subculture, geeks are terrible about looking out for our own brethren. Sometimes, it seems like we're eager to help out everyone *except* our own.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I think the internet has a lot to do with that. We have recently proven that the internet destroys political discourse, but that's been the case with comic books and other nerd things for years. Before the internet, people would have to gather and often times would focus simply on finding people who had things that they liked in common. That was easier, because disagreements in person are hard. Now, the entire comic book subculture can be linked at once, which frankly just creates hostility.

I have hope though that we'll learn to disagree on a global scale though and discourse will get better overtime. In the whole scheme of things, the internet is still in its infancy. We have time to evolve.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I think the internet has a lot to do with that. We have recently proven that the internet destroys political discourse, but that's been the case with comic books and other nerd things for years. Before the internet, people would have to gather and often times would focus simply on finding people who had things that they liked in common. That was easier, because disagreements in person are hard. Now, the entire comic book subculture can be linked at once, which frankly just creates hostility.

I have hope though that we'll learn to disagree on a global scale though and discourse will get better overtime. In the whole scheme of things, the internet is still in its infancy. We have time to evolve.
    I just posted this in the politics thread, but it applies to this discussion to. The internet destroyed our country permanently. On the smaller person-to-person scale and on the scale where elections are swayed by them and people are radicalized and all that other terrible shit that has been going on.

Amazon Prime and Netflix probably aren't worth what has happened to the country. But we're entertained, so whatever.

I'm generally a pretty optimistic person, so I think future generations will learn to be better. It's like any invention, the first use of every invention is to destroy. I even think the generation directly behind mine (18-25) is way better than a lot of people in my grouping. In my opinion, the internet has mostly been misused by the people that didn't grow up with it. People always talk about millenials who are always on their phones, I work with boomers and Gen Xers who are so much worse than my classmates (Full disclosure, I am an older college student, going back and getting my masters and almost all of my classmates are in their early 20s).

So, I do have a lot of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I disagree with the notion that “a black person can’t be racist”.
    Is there really someone who believe such a thing? Well, i could tell them a story or two of my own, having spent most of my childhood on the Martinique island.

Don't get me wrong, it was a blast and most people there are fantastic but yeah, sadly there is no part of mankind totally immune to racism. (though, i guess you could say that a lot of this hate comes from what happened in the past rather than any skin pigmentation differences in that specific case)

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Ok, we get it. Wesley sucked on TNG. Does it have to be mentioned every time you see him? Saying "no one wants him with the rest of the cast but they are too nice to say it" is bull. The TNG cast likes him, especially Jonathan Frakes who took him under his wing at the time of shooting the show. They were very much his family and despite people hating him he has every right to be among the cast panel at cons. Stop acting like he ran over your dog or something. It's been decades since the show ended. Give it a rest already. It's getting more annoying than Wesley ever was.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I disagree with the notion that “a black person can’t be racist”. I do so because it paints the world in a black and white paradigm, when their are so many other combinations. Their are more races then black and white, and power and influence are relative. Can you really say the average black man in America has less power then a migrant worker for example.
    The only time I ever have a problem when someone opposes "black people can't be racist" is when it's a white person going "Hah!" as if to turn it around on them and trying to get the upper hand when discussing something that has happened to a black person. And while black people can be racist towards white people as well they can be racist towards other POC. I remember when Trayvon Martin was shot and the killer was mistaken for Mexican (he was in fact Peruvian Jewish) they wanted to track down Mexicans and beat them. They actually did get one old Mexican man and dragged him into his van and beat him severely. The remarks he made on his twitter were very racist. It was "I'm going to go find me a Mexican. They're probably painting someone's house." I remember this comment receiving several likes as well as other equally racist jokes. There are also Mexicans who don't like blacks. In parts of Asia it's really difficult to be a black tourist. Just recently a black man shot up a synagogue spouting anti-jewish sentiments and this isn't the first time that happened. And of course you have some anti-black commentators who are Jewish. I know black people who have made jokes about Native Americans and Asians. Things like "Tonto" and "Ching Chang" have been thrown around. They can also be sexist and homophobic. And that goes for women, too. I'm sorry but it's 2019 and we shouldn't be making excuses for this. You know if you're white and you want to acknowledge racist black people you can mention the Asians, latinos etc. too since you are so concerned.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-03-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Terry Crews should have never gotten in between the conflict between Gina Rodriguez, and black women imo. That wasn't a hill he should have died on.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Ok, we get it. Wesley sucked on TNG. Does it have to be mentioned every time you see him? Saying "no one wants him with the rest of the cast but they are too nice to say it" is bull. The TNG cast likes him, especially Jonathan Frakes who took him under his wing at the time of shooting the show. They were very much his family and despite people hating him he has every right to be among the cast panel at cons. Stop acting like he ran over your dog or something. It's been decades since the show ended. Give it a rest already. It's getting more annoying than Wesley ever was.

The only time I ever have a problem when someone opposes "black people can't be racist" is when it's a white person going "Hah!" as if to turn it around on them and trying to get the upper hand when discussing something that has happened to a black person. And while black people can be racist towards white people as well they can be racist towards other POC. I remember when Travon Martin was shot and he was mistaken for Mexican (he was in fact Peruvian Jewish) they wanted to track down Mexicans and beat them. They actually did get one old Mexican man and dragged him into his van and beat him severely. The remarks he made on his twitter were very racist. It was "I'm going to go find me a Mexican. They're probably painting someone's house." I remember this comment receiving several likes as well as other equally racist jokes. There are also Mexicans who don't like blacks. In parts of Asia it's really difficult to be a black tourist. Just recently a black man shot up a synagogue spouting anti-jewish sentiments and this isn't the first time that happened. And of course you have some anti-black commentators who are Jewish. I know black people who have made jokes about Native Americans and Asians. Things like "Tonto" and "Ching Chang" have been thrown around. They can also be sexist and homophobic. And that goes for women, too. I'm sorry but it's 2019 and we shouldn't be making excuses for this. You know if you're white and you want to acknowledge racist black people you can mention the Asians, latinos etc. too since you are so concerned.
    People feel that racism is about systematic power. Something most poc in America doesn't have. The argument was that black people can be prejudice but not racist. It's been explained ad nauseum already.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    People feel that racism is about systematic power. Something most poc in America doesn't have. The argument was that black people can be prejudice but not racist. It's been explained ad nauseum already.
    Its also bullshit. Anyone can be racist. Rich, poor, black, white.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Terry Crews should have never gotten in between the conflict between Gina Rodriguez, and black women imo. That wasn't a hill he should have died on.
    Gina says shit that pisses black women off. She's CONSTANTLY putting her foot in her mouth and ends up backtracking. But she definitely mean what she said. Terry Crews should have just stuck to being a #MeToo advocate. Black women, (at least black women on the Internet) has a zero tolerance level for disrespect from non black poc, ESPECIALLY white women and non black woc. To the point of almost blind hatred. Terry should have known his biggest cheerleaders was black women. This might sound like a joke but he has to pick a side when there's conflict with black women. Black women think black men are obligated to take their side for better or for worse, and vise versa. As a black woman I get that. But there's no room for error , and Terry just stepped knee deep 8nto shit. Now he's dragging D.L Hugley to throw the heat off of himself. I can't respect that to be perfectly honest.

Extraordinary Member

I hate memes.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I hate memes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post

The only time I ever have a problem when someone opposes "black people can't be racist" is when it's a white person going "Hah!" as if to turn it around on them and trying to get the upper hand when discussing something that has happened to a black person. And while black people can be racist towards white people as well they can be racist towards other POC. I remember when Travon Martin was shot and he was mistaken for Mexican (he was in fact Peruvian Jewish) they wanted to track down Mexicans and beat them. They actually did get one old Mexican man and dragged him into his van and beat him severely. The remarks he made on his twitter were very racist. It was "I'm going to go find me a Mexican. They're probably painting someone's house." I remember this comment receiving several likes as well as other equally racist jokes. There are also Mexicans who don't like blacks. In parts of Asia it's really difficult to be a black tourist. Just recently a black man shot up a synagogue spouting anti-jewish sentiments and this isn't the first time that happened. And of course you have some anti-black commentators who are Jewish. I know black people who have made jokes about Native Americans and Asians. Things like "Tonto" and "Ching Chang" have been thrown around. They can also be sexist and homophobic. And that goes for women, too. I'm sorry but it's 2019 and we shouldn't be making excuses for this. You know if you're white and you want to acknowledge racist black people you can mention the Asians, latinos etc. too since you are so concerned.
    No I’m black, and I said that because I’ve heard other people say “I can’t be racist because I’m black”.