Page 145 of 440 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Really? 1 and a half months isn't a slap on the wrist to you? He nearly beat a man to death. Of course it's a scary place but people have gone to prison for much longer for less. But this is the controversial opinion thread so I suppose it fits here.
    I don't know how badly he beat the man (and likely never will considering all of the reports incorrectly claiming he blinded the guy in one eye) - so I don't know if the sentence was proportional to the crime.

IMO, the number one purpose for prison is to rehabilitate people. From what I can tell, his 45 days did exactly that for him. A longer sentence might have ruined that.
    Last edited by dancj; 02-20-2019 at 05:07 AM.

Invincible Member

"Capt Marvel Derangement Syndrome" is now in full effect...

Oh the irony Zetsu, now that we have a criminal traitor in the White House.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Jussie deserves every ounce of heat the law can bring down on him, and the most horrific incarceration experience that the penal system has to offer. Both for the waste of police resources diverted from victims with real needs, and for giving the hatefully homo/trans-phobic an excuse to say, "see? That sort of stuff doesn't really happen," all in selfish pursuit of a raise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    If you are a superhero and have a secret identity, would you entrust it to Bill or Hillary Clinton?
    If I was a superhero that had the abilities Superman has, I'd trust anyone I chose with my secret identity because I would make clear what would happen to them if I heard their voice even whisper my real name from the Moon. However there's limits to that as someone like the Orange Shitgibbon has no impulse control and would blab it without thinking first so I STILL wouldn't trust him.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Jussie deserves every ounce of heat the law can bring down on him, and the most horrific incarceration experience that the penal system has to offer. Both for the waste of police resources diverted from victims with real needs, and for giving the hatefully homo/trans-phobic an excuse to say, "see? That sort of stuff doesn't really happen," all in selfish pursuit of a raise.
    The big thing for me is, I don't care who it is, don't assume a charge is accurate until it can be reasonably verified. I'm tired of people jumping on the band wagon right out of the box before the facts start rolling in.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

If you are a superhero and have a secret identity, would you entrust it to Bill or Hillary Clinton?
    Yes. Both.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    the Orange Shitgibbon
    Nice.

I might have to start using that if I ever get tired of "Pussy Grabber in Chief"

Mighty Member

I wouldn't entrust it with any politician, but speaking to the JFK thing specfically, and I don't know the answer, but---at the time those panels were printed, was JFK's adultery common knowledge? If yes, then agreed. If no, then no big deal.

JFK's involvement in getting things underway in Vietnam without the public's knowledge could qualify too--but again, it's a matter of when it became public knowledge that this went on. When JFK was prez, it seems that Americans on whatever political side, just generally trusted the president. Vietnam, the double whammy of LBJ and Nixon, LBJ's years of lying about the war, Nixon's lying about the war and his corruption, etc., changed all that.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    I wouldn't entrust it with any politician, but speaking to the JFK thing specfically, and I don't know the answer, but---at the time those panels were printed, was JFK's adultery common knowledge? If yes, then agreed. If no, then no big deal.

JFK's involvement in getting things underway in Vietnam without the public's knowledge could qualify too--but again, it's a matter of when it became public knowledge that this went on. When JFK was prez, it seems that Americans on whatever political side, just generally trusted the president. Vietnam, the double whammy of LBJ and Nixon, LBJ's years of lying about the war, Nixon's lying about the war and his corruption, etc., changed all that.
    ^This^. It's easy to bash on the comics writers of the time in hindsight. At the time, most high ranking politicians were granted an assumption of good character and good intentions. My one correction is that it was Eisenhower that actually got us involved in Vietnam, JFK just doubled down on it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    ^This^. It's easy to bash on the comics writers of the time in hindsight. At the time, most high ranking politicians were granted an assumption of good character and good intentions. My one correction is that it was Eisenhower that actually got us involved in Vietnam, JFK just doubled down on it.
    Ok I'll rephrase it to JFK severly escalating things.

Mighty Member

Algebra as a required course in high school is a waste of time. Only 20% of the population actually uses algebra in daily life. Better to let students choose a course like philosophy, civics, home economicss. Algebra is just a gatekeeper to college.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Nice.

I might have to start using that if I ever get tired of "Pussy Grabber in Chief"
    I can't take credit for it, but I love saying it

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Algebra as a required course in high school is a waste of time. Only 20% of the population actually uses algebra in daily life. Better to let students choose a course like philosophy, civics, home economicss. Algebra is just a gatekeeper to college.
    I disagree. If you've ever needed to make a serious budget, plan the supplies out for a party, adjust cooking recipes, or dozens of other things then you've used Algebra in your daily life.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    I disagree. If you've ever needed to make a serious budget, plan the supplies out for a party, adjust cooking recipes, or dozens of other things then you've used Algebra in your daily life.
    Absolutely, Dalak. I personally know I, consciously or subconsciously, utilize it all of the time.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

What American in 1963 doubts the incorruptibility and trustworthiness of the president of the United States, who was supposedly the most honorable person in America?

Just because the POTUS is elected by the American people, doesn't mean you should trust him with whatever secrets you are keeping to yourself. Nor should you trust the POTUS to not sell his country.
    Right, but your original post was questioning why Superman would trust JFK since he was an adulterer. Not why would Superman trust JFK simply because he's president.

If it is just because he cheated on his wife, as per your post, well I assume Superman didn't know that if the rest of the country didn't either, so no blame to throw on Superman there.