Page 147 of 441 FirstFirst ... 4797137143144145146147148149150151157197247 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,205 of 6604

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Like when other POC ask for solidarity in regard to Native Americans and the pipeline, deportations of POC (even other black people), and foreign policy stuff black people would just kinda shrug or stay silent. Especially when some of this stuff was under Obama, and people would get defensive if you criticized him over it.

Truth of the matter is that black twitter isn't a accurate representation of us black Americans as a whole. When it comes to politics black people in general appear to be more dangerously pragmatic and kinda timid to be frank. In fact I remember young white people warming up to Obama faster than black people did. As it was mentioned before black people would complain about the system and establishment but would never actually support a politician who would challenge it. Instead hedging their bets on "electability", or "familiarity" with some status quo safe candidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    A lot of black folks are in reality pretty conservative despite the fact that most of us tend to vote Democratic. Many of us would rather vote for a stasis quo establishment Dem than take a chance on some one they don't know. That's why a number of us were slow to warm up to Obama until after he did well in the primaries. And I hate to say it, but some of us are just as close minded on other people's struggles as some Trump supporters. I've seen things online where some black people have claimed that the Smollett thing happened because him being gay messed up his mind!
    OK, OK, there's some truths here. Let's be clear though that rank and file Black American's- the ever shrinking middle, working poor, the new grandparents the recent retiree's. These folks have been on the front lines of exactly the types of overt, calculating, day to day discrimination that people always say is 'still there'. Some so much more than others. It's wild to consider that the social progress of this entire county, made it's bones on the backs of American Africans... kind of like how it went down since the middle passages on that same groups actual physical backs. That's A LOT to put apon ANYBODY, that's also more than is asked of any other group. Sure there was some resistance to Obama but he wouldn't have even won without Black voters, nor Bill Clinton, nor had Jesse Jackson get on the Democratic ticket back in the early 80's. Challenging politicians has been the toughest thing Black Americans ever have to do because the opposition just ignores them or criminalizes them for votes on the other side and coming out of that shadow, keeping in mind not 60 years from civil rights, is a fight within a fight. Then your called apon, because you FIGHT SO WELL... to throw hands helping another group. White people hate and use (poor)White people and more often than we consider, black people can fall into the collateral damage (if I'm going to be true to the thread) of that shit by the ways and means of American structure. All the while 90% of us black folks are tight, hiding power levels like a goddamned Sayan. It's tough, sometimes we have to grant ourselves time to grow in between the outrages and battles, change runs through us and that isn't going to change. If we are going to come down then let it be equal. JUSSIE, still has supporters so... Again you both ain't wrong but it seems like we're the only ones fighting more than 1 fight at any given time that's all.
    Last edited by Surf; 02-24-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Mighty Member

I agree with whoever said Algebra is useless.

I was absolutely terrible at it beyond the most basic aspects of it, failed the shit out of the class while doing well in everything else, and have never felt incomplete for it. Maybe the very basics of algebra could be rolled into a general math class, but by and large, it was a wasted year of school, for those 50 minutes of that class or whatever it was. If I recall rightk I think two years of algebra were required---which is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    I agree with whoever said Algebra is useless.

I was absolutely terrible at it beyond the most basic aspects of it, failed the shit out of the class while doing well in everything else, and have never felt incomplete for it. Maybe the very basics of algebra could be rolled into a general math class, but by and large, it was a wasted year of school, for those 50 minutes of that class or whatever it was. If I recall rightk I think two years of algebra were required---which is nuts.
    No wonder the US placed (in advanced countries) 38th out of 40th in STEM degrees awarded per capita. its sad really...
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    No wonder the US placed (in advanced countries) 38th out of 40th in STEM degrees awarded per capita. its sad really...
    I don't know. Not everyone is good at the same stuff.

I don't know. Not everyone is good at the same stuff.
    And just because you aren't good at something doesn't mean it's wasted time or useless to others.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    And just because you aren't good at something doesn't mean it's wasted time or useless to others.
    No, but, and I didn't re-read the post, but I think the first person who posted about it being useless mentioned something about tailoring it to people's specific whatever.

I'm not trying to take away anyone's precious algebra who wants it. Plus, that guy before you got to be snarky to some random dude on the internet about it, so. I'm not trying to take that away from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Algebra as a required course in high school is a waste of time. Only 20% of the population actually uses algebra in daily life. Better to let students choose a course like philosophy, civics, home economicss. Algebra is just a gatekeeper to college.
    No, but, and I didn't re-read the post, but I think the first person who posted about it being useless mentioned something about tailoring it to people's specific whatever.

I'm not trying to take away anyone's precious algebra who wants it. Plus, that guy before you got to be snarky to some random dude on the internet about it, so. I'm not trying to take that away from anyone.
    Doesn't look like he said anything about tailoring it, and I was the first one to reply with real-life uses of Algebra. If you drive a car you also use it in your daily life. You mentioned placing the basics of algebra into their own course and that's exactly what Algebra 1 in High School is for, because if you compare it to College Algebra you'll see a huge jump in difficulty.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Doesn't look like he said anything about tailoring it, and I was the first one to reply with real-life uses of Algebra. If you drive a car you also use it in your daily life. You mentioned placing the basics of algebra into their own course and that's exactly what Algebra 1 in High School is for, because if you compare it to College Algebra you'll see a huge jump in difficulty.
    Uh, so he didn't specify algebra as a required course and that it would be better to let students choose a course? That sounds like tailoring to me? Maybe I suck at reading comprehension too. I'm amazed I am typing right now.

And I meant the basics of algebra should be rolled into a course with the basics of other math you will never use. Like the first 9 weeks worth of the current standard algebra 1, tops.

I'm, like, 99% sure that someone who is driving age can effectively drive a car if they never took algebra in high school.

Uh, so he didn't specify algebra as a required course and that it would be better to let students choose a course? That sounds like tailoring to me? Maybe I suck at reading comprehension too. I'm amazed I am typing right now.
    Simply making it an optional/elective course isn't tailoring it in any way, just like putting a shirt on sale isn't tailoring it to fit a poorer demographic. If you're reading snark or insults into my replies here you're mistaken, but I understand if you insist on getting snarky when people like something you don't as this IS the internet.

And I meant the basics of algebra should be rolled into a course with the basics of other math you will never use. Like the first 9 weeks worth of the current standard algebra 1, tops.
    Without everything you learn in the basic courses of Algebra and Geography then the basics of 'other math you'll never use' doesn't make any sense. I know this personally after being badly advised as a naive college freshman.

I'm, like, 99% sure that someone who is driving age can effectively drive a car if they never took algebra in high school.
    And 100% of jungle tribesman can cook without taking a cooking course, which of course wasn't related to either of us said or meant either. Monkeys don't need to know algebra to jump from one tree to the next, but it doesn't change the fact that it's there and the basic problem solving it entails is done almost instinctively by our brains. Look into the physics behind pitching and/or hitting a baseball or the physics behind Golf if you are interested to know how much math is involved with really simple stuff, but saying that it's worthless or a waste of time to learn just because you aren't good at it is saltiness and not an actual serious opinion.

Mighty Member

I don't know, my controversial opinion is that it's useless. You have failed to prove otherwise to me.

Also, letting students pick some classes more relevant to them than something like algebra, which is releveant to like 7 people in the US, is tailoring a curciculum based on the specific student. Unless I don't know what tailoring means, which is possible, since I did very poorly in algebra and am salty on the internet about it 20+ years later.

Does it matter? The government is not coming for your algebra. They will keep teaching it to kids who will never use it for a long time I'm syre.

I'm not snarky only on the internet I am in person too. Having a STEM degree myself, I believe that more people use algebra than reflect on the outcome of the Byzantine Wars. Or that conjugating a verb does not help to determine the the payoff to a lone or determine the best yield when contributing to a 401K. Yet there is not many people that say the same thing about about ancient history or mechanics and usage.. that they should be downgraded to an elective even. People don't like math with algebra taking the biggest hit because its hard not because it is useless.

Mighty Member

I'm still pretty adamant that it's useless.

It doesn't really bother me that they still waste kids' time with it though. It's not like I have to take it any more or worry about it, since it doesn't get used in my daily life.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I'm not snarky only on the internet I am in person too.
    Right, I'm sure you are.

Mighty Member

Also, why do I insert myself in these ridiculous conversations. This argument, much like algebra, is even more useless than that one about whether Superman should've trusted JFK with his secreit identity or not.

I am factoring myself out of this equation. You guys win the spelling bee.

Right, I'm sure you are.
    See we can agree.

Also, why do I insert myself in these ridiculous conversations.
    Because the internet....