Page 148 of 440 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158198248 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    I don't know, my controversial opinion is that it's useless. You have failed to prove otherwise to me.
    Yes this is the 'controversial' opinion thread.

I've got one! People should try and make a joke that everyone can laugh at at the end of any conversation to break any tension or ugliness that resulted. Sadly I don't know any joke that everyone can laugh at as Humor is more subjective than Art or Religion so . . . c'est la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs were college dropouts that left college without receiving a diploma. Thomas Edison and Henry Ford never even finished school. When Ford was 15 years old, he left school and worked in a machine shop. At the age of 11 years old, Edison dropped out of school and was home-schooled by his mother.

Does a successful businessman or a scientific genius need education or a college diploma?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/10/10-u...-dropouts.html
    FYI...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ion-123713565/

Clarence Dally — The Man Who Gave Thomas Edison X-Ray Vision

Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs were college dropouts that left college without receiving a diploma. Thomas Edison and Henry Ford never even finished school. When Ford was 15 years old, he left school and worked in a machine shop. At the age of 11 years old, Edison dropped out of school and was home-schooled by his mother.

Does a successful businessman or a scientific genius need education or a college diploma?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/10/10-u...-dropouts.html
    You'd be hard pressed to find a modern scientific genius who wasn't college degreed.

Not sure there are any Noble Prize winners in the last 50-60 years without Phds.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

U.S. Presidents who Did not graduate from college
    1. George Washington never attended college, though The College of William & Mary did issue him a surveyor's certificate.
    2. James Monroe attended the College of William and Mary but dropped out to fight in the Revolutionary War
    3. Andrew Jackson
    4. Martin Van Buren
    5. William Henry Harrison attended college but never received a degree
    6. Zachary Taylor
    7. Millard Fillmore
    8. Abraham Lincoln had only about a year of formal schooling of any kind
    9. Andrew Johnson (no formal schooling of any kind) he was the only POTUS who worked as a tailor.
    10. Grover Cleveland
    11. William McKinley attended Allegheny College (did not graduate) and Albany Law School (did not graduate)
    12. Harry S. Truman went to business college and law school but did not receive a degree
    With Harry Truman being the only modern President without a college degree, that list should be telling. School was handled differently prior to the turn of the Century and you can't really use the education system of the 18th and 19th Century to make sweeping claims about the education system of today.

So you're saying anyone without a college degree are not allowed to run in the 2020 presidential election? then you can't qualify to be a presidential candidate unless you have a college degree.
    Not allowed? No, any one who is of age and a natural born citizens should be able to run for President. Do I believe that the President should be college educated? Yes. Without hesitation.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I like disco.

Maybe not but Steve Jobs and Bill Gates proved that you don't need a college degree to make a fortune.
    Sure, by stealing others achievements. Gates bought MS-DOS for chump change from it's inventor and with his mother's help sold it's rights to IBM.
    Jobs and Wosniack took the developments at Xerox Park and created Apple with them.
    But that is besides the point. For the average person, the level of education is a clear correlation to future income.
    Gates and Jobs not withstanding. What percentage of Silicon Valley billionaires do you think have no college degree. My guess is under 1%.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Not allowed? No, any one who is of age and a natural born citizens should be able to run for President. Do I believe that the President should be college educated? Yes. Without hesitation.
    I'll settle for a president that's at least smarter than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    I'll settle for a president that's at least smarter than myself.
    Hell yeah.

I don't think college is necessarily a sign of intelligence, but I think it's an important benchmark as it's really the least that a person can do to put hard work and intelligence on display. Especially if they have the privilege to be able to afford college, which every President we've had has been able to do. I guess I can see a situation where someone didn't go to college and put a long time into public service. But I'm talking like 3-4 decades at different levels before running for President.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    2001: A Space Odyssey is a pile of ****.
    If a movie has no interesting characters, a computer planning to kill everyone just like that, 50+ minutes of silence and slow activity, and ending that looks like someone high wrote and built up....
    I wouldn't call it a pile of sh!t, but I find it super overrated. It's very nice to look at.. and that's it. It bores me to tears.

My controversial opinion is, the more I learn about organized religion, the less I want to be part of it.

I used to be very religious, and I still believe in God and Jesus, but I feel that the vast majority of church leaders just want to take advantage of people. I don't need an stranger to tell me how to live my life. I can think for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Sure, by stealing others achievements. Gates bought MS-DOS for chump change from it's inventor and with his mother's help sold it's rights to IBM.
    Jobs and Wosniack took the developments at Xerox Park and created Apple with them.
    But that is besides the point. For the average person, the level of education is a clear correlation to future income.
    Gates and Jobs not withstanding. What percentage of Silicon Valley billionaires do you think have no college degree. My guess is under 1%.
    I'd say that people brilliant and/or ruthless enough can often break or even rewrite the rules - typically in their favor (and after to prevent another version of themselves from rising). For everyone else, college helps.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    90% of us black folks are tight,
    not really, most black people are forced to work together because of institutional racism. Black people AREN'T as monolithic and tight, as pop-culture would have you think. We reluctantly work together out of necessity. I would also argue black people from the southeast rarely takes up the same causes as black folks from the north or the west. Unless they have no choice.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Intersectionality always get preached about on twitter, especially among black twitter peeps. But when it comes to intersectionality in practice black people tend to treat it as a one way street at best. While other black folks flat out don't believe in it at worse. There's a certain kinda cynical pragmatism in play. Like when other POC ask for solidarity in regard to Native Americans and the pipeline, deportations of POC (even other black people), and foreign policy stuff black people would just kinda shrug or stay silent. Especially when some of this stuff was under Obama, and people would get defensive if you criticised him over it.

Truth of the matter is that black twitter isn't a accurate representation of us black Americans as a whole. When it comes to politics black people in general appear to be more dangerously pragmatic and kinda timid to be frank. In fact I remember young white people warming up to Obama faster than black people did. As it was mentioned before black people would complain about the system and establishment but would never actually support a politician who would challenge it. Instead hedging their bets on "electability", or "familiarity" with some status quo safe candidate.
    Quite frankly, most of the people who claim to be fighting for justice and equality are really just seeking to have the privileges enjoyed by white men extended to whatever demographic they happen to belong to. A part of this is because the ruling classes have perfected the divide and rule strategy that keeps various minority groups at each other's throats most of the time, but for the most part it just comes down to the fact that people of color are just as hierarchical and status-obsessed as anyone else, and so while it drives us mad that someone else ranks above us on the socioeconomic totem pole, we have no problem ignoring the plight of people we consider below us. And really, I don't really see a way to square this circle. Calling for different groups of people with diametrically opposed interests to unite in the name of intersectionality is unrealistic and makes everyone look foolish when we can't set aside our own prejudices for long enough to come up with a coherent platform.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Neither George Washington nor Abraham Lincoln went to college and both of them became the greatest presidents in American history.
    They are my two favorite presidents, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

There are smart people who did not graduate from college.

Neither George Washington nor Abraham Lincoln went to college and both of them became the greatest presidents in American history.
    You can't compare 200 years ago and today. Lincoln studied Law on his own and was accepted into the Bar. It is a different world.
    And it still doesn't address the overall issue. A few people might have succeeded despite not having a degree. But people who are educated do better than those who aren't for the vast majority.
    And when it comes to Scientists. I can't think of a single notable scientist in modern times who wasn't at a University or Institution.