Page 150 of 440 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200250 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 6586
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I realized I'm not a republican or a conservative. I just hate the left.
    The thing is, the conception of "the left" that you and countless other internet edgelords have in your minds, that of a bunch of idly wealthy 20-30 somethings sitting around drinking overpriced coffee and discussing the finer aspects of genderqueer theory while snidely dismissing anyone who isn't woke or cool enough to be part of their circle, doesn't really exist at all. It's just a mishmash of various marketing cliches meant to sell people on an aspirational lifestyle and use that emotional appeal to push various products. In the real world, it's exceedingly rare to find anyone who is young enough to be hip and trendy, rich enough to not have to worry about money, and yet not so overburdened by work to have the time to enjoy that lifestyle, usually at least one of those three components is missing.
    First, for the record, I don't hate The Left; I'm more of an "absolute anything is a bad idea" guy. That said, there's a lot of assumption about Darkseid's meaning in the reply.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Comic Book shops are closing and I think that is a good thing. The current "Direct Market" system for comics is a blight on the industry that is slowly killing it. Digital Comics is the future of the industry and the industry should start to move in a direction that would eventually eliminate the floppy.
    LCSs probably helped the comics industry survive 1980-2010 by cutting a lot of unsold inventory cost out of the business, and probably helped some of the indie publishers get off the ground. However, they did narrow the customer base in way that's probably been harmful, and you are correct about Digital being the future.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    LCSs probably helped the comics industry survive 1980-2010 by cutting a lot of unsold inventory cost out of the business, and probably helped some of the indie publishers get off the ground. However, they did narrow the customer base in way that's probably been harmful, and you are correct about Digital being the future.
    Comics, music, and even some television has been hit by the real revolution of the internet - the one that is, in my personal opinion, the real reason why cable companies went after net neutrality so hard. The internet has in many way managed to liberate capitalism from capital.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Fantasy has supplanted Science Fiction, because our world is looking more and more like some kind of dystopian sci-fi setting. Modern Sci-fi isn’t fantasic enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Comic book stores will probably always exist in some ways, but they'll be fewer and far between. The biggest issue with a lot of stores that I've noticed (working at one myself) is simply poor business instincts. I see stores constantly trying to find ways to unload comics because they buy too many. I've seen stores close because they chase what they feel like will be the next big thing only to have it blow up. Too many stores are run by fans who have no business running a store.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Fantasy has supplanted Science Fiction, because our world is looking more and more like some kind of dystopian sci-fi setting. Modern Sci-fi isn’t fantasic enough.
    Half the population don't care for these soy-inclusive, classic Star Trek-like utopians where humanity & "other" beings have formed peaceful alliances. They wanna shoot the "others" in the face or enslave the brutes. They good with both activities, really. Modor will rise again.

I realized I'm not a republican or a conservative. I just hate the left.
    Kind of cowardly to declare something like that without saying why. It implies you're afraid to state your reasons because people may criticize you and you know you can't support them.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Man oh man. Post one little thing and there's all these assumptions and I get called a coward. Really bizarre.

Man oh man. Post one little thing and there's all these assumptions and I get called a coward. Really bizarre.
    I mean, there wouldn't be assumptions if you actually wrote out a thoughtful post in the first place... I don't really care if you don't like the left. But politics are best if not used for fodder in quick hot takes.

I don't know, I don't like getting into it. I was drunk last night when I posted that. That's not an excuse by the way, it's how I feel but that's an excuse why I would post something like that. I had a conversation about race with a few friends over drinks, very left wing guys, and the way they talked about black people... I don't get the idea that they need our help. Our meaning white people. The people I talked to think of themselves as gods compared to minorities. I mean, I went to a black high school, I work at an Amazon factory where it's incredibly diverse and everyone got along in high school and everyone gets along at Amazon. This whole diversity thing is going crazy. Out in the real world people get along and all this racism talk creeps me out. Maybe it's just where I live, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    What is with the words right and left particularly when it comes to the politics. Left is wrong and sinister. Right is correct and straight. Right is law, justice and authority.

The word "right" has many meanings, but there is one particular meaning. the word for the direction "right" also means "correct" or "proper", and also stands for authority and justice.

A right-hand man is the chief lieutenant of a leader or a boss.

The word "left" itself derives from the Anglo-Saxon word lyft, "weak".

The Italian word for left is "sinistra" which also means sinister or evil

In French, the word "droit means both "right" and "straight", as well as "law" and the legal sense of "right", while gauche means "left" and is also a synonym of maladroit, literally "not right", meaning "clumsy". The Spanish term diestro and the Italian term destro mean both "right-handed" and "skillful". The contemporary Italian word sinistra has both meanings of sinister and left (the masculine adjective for sinister being sinistro).

http://www.wordreference.com/iten/sinistra

http://www.wordreference.com/fren/droit

http://www.wordreference.com/fren/gauche

In Sanskrit, the word "वाम" (waama) stands for both "left" and "wicked."

In most Slavic languages the root prav (right) is used in words carrying meanings of correctness or justice. In colloquial Russian the word левый (levyĭ) "left" means unofficial, counterfeit, strange. In Polish, the word prawo means "right" as well as "law", prawy means: lawful; the word lewy means "left" (opposite of right), and colloquially "illegal" (opposite of legal).

In Romanian drept/dreaptă (coming from Latin directus) means both "right" and "straight". The word for "left" is stâng/stângă coming from Latin stancus (= stanticus) meaning "tired".[49]

In German, recht means "right" in both the adjectival sense (correct) and the nominal (legal entitlement). The word for "left" is links, and is closely related to both link (underhand, questionable), and linkisch (clumsy).

https://dict.leo.org/german-english/recht

The Dutch words for "left" (links, linker) and "right" (recht, rechts, rechter) have much the same meanings and connotations as in English. The adjective link means "cunning, shifty" or "risky". A linkerd is a "crafty devil". To look at someone over the left shoulder (iemand over de linkerschouder aanzien) is to regard him or her as insignificant.

In Irish, deas means "right side" and "nice". Ciotóg is the left hand and is related to ciotach meaning "awkward"; ciotógach (kyut-OH-goch) is the term for left-handed. In Welsh, the word chwith means "left", but can also mean "strange", "awkward", or "wrong". The Scots term for left-handedness is corrie fistit. The term can be used to convey clumsiness.

In Finnish, the word oikea means both "right" (okay, correct) and "right" (the opposite of left).

In Swedish, att göra något med vänsterhanden (literally "to do something with your left hand") means "to do something badly". In Swedish, vänster means "left". The term vänsterprassel means "infidelity", "adultery" and "cheating". From this term the verb vänstra is derived.

In Hungarian, the word for right is jobb, which also means "better". The word for left is bal, which also means "bad". In Estonian, the word pahem stands for both "left" and "worse" and the word parem stands for both "right" and "better".

In Turkish, the word for right is sağ, which means "alive". The word for left is sol, which means "discolor", "die", "ill".

In Chinese culture, the adjective "left" (Chinese character: 左, Mandarin: zuǒ) sometimes means "improper" or "out of accord". For instance, the phrase "left path" (左道, zuǒdào) stands for unorthodox or immoral means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_a...-handed_people
    Hey, I'm a lefty! And I already said I'm not a right-winger. I'm actually not interested in politics at all.

I too am lefty and not in politics interested.

I am also Spartacus despite my pants and ginger beard.

I don't know, I don't like getting into it. I was drunk last night when I posted that. That's not an excuse by the way, it's how I feel but that's an excuse why I would post something like that. I had a conversation about race with a few friends over drinks, very left wing guys, and the way they talked about black people... I don't get the idea that they need our help. Our meaning white people. The people I talked to think of themselves as gods compared to minorities. I mean, I went to a black high school, I work at an Amazon factory where it's incredibly diverse and everyone got along in high school and everyone gets along at Amazon. This whole diversity thing is going crazy. Out in the real world people get along and all this racism talk creeps me out. Maybe it's just where I live, who knows?
    I wasn't there, the guys you were talking to may well have been assholes, or maybe just as it relates to race, or the way they talked about it ... that said, there remain massive disparities between the races, and "everyone gets along" really seems to dismiss deeply embedded and ongoing problems falling under the umbrella term "racism".

My own "controversial" opinion on it, tho ... I think I agree with the position Bernie Sanders is derided for, essentially that social issues take a back seat to the economic ones. I feel like, it doesn't matter if everybody gets along, if opportunity is not equal, if options are not equal ... you know, the problem is that a white person can decide they want to avoid minorities as much as possible, and really they could still have a pretty decent life, living with that bigotry. On the other hand, if a minority decides they want to avoid white people? That's gonna come with a much greater cost, in the end.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I wasn't there, the guys you were talking to may well have been assholes, or maybe just as it relates to race, or the way they talked about it ... that said, there remain massive disparities between the races, and "everyone gets along" really seems to dismiss deeply embedded and ongoing problems falling under the umbrella term "racism".

My own "controversial" opinion on it, tho ... I think I agree with the position Bernie Sanders is derided for, essentially that social issues take a back seat to the economic ones. I feel like, it doesn't matter if everybody gets along, if opportunity is not equal, if options are not equal ... you know, the problem is that a white person can decide they want to avoid minorities as much as possible, and really they could still have a pretty decent life, living with that bigotry. On the other hand, if a minority decides they want to avoid white people? That's gonna come with a much greater cost, in the end.
    I don't understand what that means. Your saying it's tougher to be a racist if you're a minority?

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I also learned something new about the German word for left .

https://dict.leo.org/german-english/linker%20Hand

"linker Hand" means literally "on the left-hand side" in German and it also means sinister.

The German adjective "linkisch" (a word related to the German word Links which means "left") has several meanings. Linkisch means inept, awkward or unskillful

https://dict.leo.org/german-english/linkisch
    Well that certainly describes me!