Page 151 of 440 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201251 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 6586
    Astonishing Member

There's actually been a surprising amount of persecution in history against left-handed people.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I wasn't there, the guys you were talking to may well have been assholes, or maybe just as it relates to race, or the way they talked about it ... that said, there remain massive disparities between the races, and "everyone gets along" really seems to dismiss deeply embedded and ongoing problems falling under the umbrella term "racism".

My own "controversial" opinion on it, tho ... I think I agree with the position Bernie Sanders is derided for, essentially that social issues take a back seat to the economic ones. I feel like, it doesn't matter if everybody gets along, if opportunity is not equal, if options are not equal ... you know, the problem is that a white person can decide they want to avoid minorities as much as possible, and really they could still have a pretty decent life, living with that bigotry. On the other hand, if a minority decides they want to avoid white people? That's gonna come with a much greater cost, in the end.
    I heavily disagree on the basis that minorities in America wont suddenly be magically loved by whites if they have the same economic status. They may even be resented more. Affluent Minorities are still treated like minorities by people and the media. The only difference is that certain groups are less likely to kick up a fuss at them existing because they can now use the power that comes with money, and that isnt equality.
    Last edited by jetengine; 03-04-2019 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Comic book stores will probably always exist in some ways, but they'll be fewer and far between. The biggest issue with a lot of stores that I've noticed (working at one myself) is simply poor business instincts. I see stores constantly trying to find ways to unload comics because they buy too many. I've seen stores close because they chase what they feel like will be the next big thing only to have it blow up. Too many stores are run by fans who have no business running a store.
    Is there any major money to be had from running a comic book store ? Because if not thats probably why fans are the only ones running it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I don't understand what that means. Your saying it's tougher to be a racist if you're a minority?
    That's not what I was saying, but it does follow from what I was saying. The freedom to be a bigot without major consequences is one of the privileges minorities do not have. Hating blacks/mexicans/jews/ect, gays/lesbians/trans/etc, even just hating women is almost more a feature than a bug, for the cis-het-white-male-awesome-skywalker-male "majority" of our culture. You're a decent human being if you don't go that direction, but you totally could, with really little backlash for doing it.

On the other hand, how many people from marginalized demographics can criticize the majority, without being labeled evil hate-mongers for doing it? Even when the criticisms are valid?
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I heavily disagree on the basis that minorities in America wont suddenly be magically loved by whites if they have the same economic status. They may even be resented more. Affluent Minorities are still treated like minorities by people and the media. The only difference is that certain groups are less likely to kick up a fuss at them existing because they can now use the power that comes with money, and that isnt equality.
    Oh, I agree that minorities won't be suddenly loved, if they share the same economic status. I even agree, it would probably cause even more resentment.

The point is, some of the hatred is going to persist, regardless. It's part of why "respectability politics" is bullshit ... on the one hand, people shouldn't need to mimic the values and aesthetics of one culture, to be respected for their own ... but, in addition to that, and I guess more importantly, even mimicking those values perfectly is no guarantee of acceptance.

In short, I personally won't tell you to bank on trying to not freak out the norms. Rather, let them be freaked out, so long as they are not more powerful than you.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Oh, I agree that minorities won't be suddenly loved, if they share the same economic status. I even agree, it would probably cause even more resentment.

The point is, some of the hatred is going to persist, regardless. It's part of why "respectability politics" is bullshit ... on the one hand, people shouldn't need to mimic the values and aesthetics of one culture, to be respected for their own ... but, in addition to that, and I guess more importantly, even mimicking those values perfectly is no guarantee of acceptance.

In short, I personally won't tell you to bank on trying to not freak out the norms. Rather, let them be freaked out, so long as they are not more powerful than you.
    See thats not equality to me, thats just giving minorities the 'same gun' so to speak as white people then wondering why everyones tense in a mexican standoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Is there any major money to be had from running a comic book store ? Because if not thats probably why fans are the only ones running it.
    You can do alright. My owner isn’t a millionaire but the store is successful enough to make him a reasonable amount of money. I mean I’m not saying that being a fan can’t be a part of it, I’m just saying that you can’t let your fandom cloud your business sense, which I see as a major issue.

One store in the area tried to speculate on certain comics and would buy up all of diamond’s stock on things with low print runs. The owner was independently wealthy so he was able to but he ended up closing the store because of a lot of bad choices in that realm. A card store in the area tried to get into the comic game and failed because he didn’t do any research and thought being a fan could carry him. It did not.

But yeah, my owner loves comics but he’s been in the industry a while and he uses his experience rather than his love of comics to keep things afloat.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    There's actually been a surprising amount of persecution in history against left-handed people.
    I can remember my paternal grandmother telling me she would get a smack with a ruler on her left hand if she tried to write with it at school. Now this was a hundred-or-so years ago, but it isn't really that long in the grand scheme of things.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

I'm ambidextrous, so

Mighty Member

{Post Omitted}
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 09-20-2019 at 05:12 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    Believing the "victim" automatically isn't any better than disbelieving them automatically
    Unless there's irrefutable evidence, I don't know how anybody can believe either side automatically beyond pure bias.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Unless there's irrefutable evidence, I don't know how anybody can believe either side automatically beyond pure bias.
    It's all a personal agenda

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I think the issue is too many are willing to go "Well she wore a short skirt etc"

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

I had a feeling Hillary Clinton was going to lose, when she picked Tim Kaine for VP i KNEW she was doomed. And i have receipts too lol. Some on this very board I believe lol. Nobody would believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I had a feeling Hillary Clinton was going to lose, when she picked Tim Kaine for VP i KNEW she was doomed. And i have receipts too lol. Some on this very board I believe lol. Nobody would believe me.
    she didn't lose. And if by now you don't accept this election was stolen, you aren't paying attention.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!