Page 180 of 439 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190230280 ... LastLast
Results 2,686 to 2,700 of 6582

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Doesn't everyone consider the movies trash?
    It would appear not. Most of the people I know in real life are big fans at least.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I believe it's the case globally, too, Doc. I'll try to back up my theory with numbers within the next few days.
    Here's a perfect example of what I have been talking about: the An Lushan Rebellion of 755-763 AD. 21,633,308 million people lost their lives in this war, which accounted for 10% of the world's population. This translates to at least 200 million deaths during the time of the two World Wars (the latter wars just missing the 100 million mark). That a war almost nobody knows anything about could have been twice as deadly as World Wars I and II is just mind boggling (two years shorter, too!)
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The 20th century was a bloody one for sure, but it also saw unprecedented advances in the standard of living for pretty much the entire world and created a new international order that has so far succeeded in keeping the peace where previous attempts have failed. Hundreds of millions may have died from war, famine, disease, and natural disasters, but billions more were born and survived to live peaceful, prosperous, and happy lives that would not have been possible in previous eras. The question of course is whether we can continue to build on this progress, or whether the quality of life we enjoyed in the 20th century was just an unsustainable aberration that future generations will suffer for.
    I agree with all of your points.

Has anyone read Sapiens? This discussion reminded me of that book
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Has anyone read Sapiens? This discussion reminded me of that book
    Is that good or bad? I have never read that book myself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Is that good or bad? I have never read that book myself.
    Good. I think the book is pretty cool and it touched at one moment the topic discussed here, which I think is an interesting theme. The book basically is a summary of the history of mankind
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

It's my opinion that HR's job would be much easier if employees avoided these four subjects while conversing:

Religion
    Politics
    Sex
    The personal appearance of anyone other than yourself.

If you can't have a conversation without touching on these subjects you should evaluate your interpersonal skills.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Good. I think the book is pretty cool and it touched at one moment the topic discussed here, which I think is an interesting theme. The book basically is a summary of the history of mankind
    Sounds interesting, Chubistian. I'll keep an eye out for it in the future.

I can't seem to get into death metal/screamo. I know there is some sort of interesting thing going on there talent wise, but I'm not finding it.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I can't seem to get into death metal/screamo. I know there is some sort of interesting thing going on there talent wise, but I'm not finding it.
    It's definitely an acquired taste. Luckily it's a acquired taste that I do have.

Not sure how controversial this is but I massively prefer the 1980's music scene to the 1990's. It was a bit dumb and excessive at times for sure but the 90's Gen-X bands were just way too miserable for me. And nu-metal is without question the worst offshoot of metal in history. I really hate the Britpop scene that was a big deal back then here in the UK too. 90's culture stinks in general.

Give me, say, Def Leppard or Motley Crue over Nirvana any day.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    .... 90's culture stinks in general.

Yet Nirvana influenced a lot of 90's culture, yes the ban started in the late 80's but that is like calling Van Halen a 70's band though it was such staple in the 80's.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Yet Nirvana influenced a lot of 90's culture, yes the ban started in the late 80's but that is like calling Van Halen a 70's band though it was such staple in the 80's.
    I'm not 100% sure what your point is there if I'm being honest. Sorry.

The fact that Nirvana were a hugely influential band during the 1990's despite being formed earlier is definitely true but the point that I was making was that they inspired the music of that period in a way that alienated me personally.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It's my opinion that HR's job would be much easier if employees avoided these four subjects while conversing:

Religion
    Politics
    Sex
    The personal appearance of anyone other than yourself.

If you can't have a conversation without touching on these subjects you should evaluate your interpersonal skills.
    What an awkward conversation to only talk about the appearance of only oneself; the other participant(s) can't really say anything!

It's definitely an acquired taste. Luckily it's a acquired taste that I do have.

Not sure how controversial this is but I massively prefer the 1980's music scene to the 1990's. It was a bit dumb and excessive at times for sure but the 90's Gen-X bands were just way too miserable for me. And nu-metal is without question the worst offshoot of metal in history. I really hate the Britpop scene that was a big deal back then here in the UK too. 90's culture stinks in general.

Part of what made Nirvana explode to the level they did was how stale the hair bands had become.

First, a single about how sexy and/or dangerous the frontman/whole band is. Then, a power ballad to show the more serious side. Sometimes an acoustic song subbed in for the power ballad, but for the same end.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I'm not 100% sure what your point is there if I'm being honest. Sorry.

The fact that Nirvana were a hugely influential band during the 1990's despite being formed earlier is definitely true but the point that I was making was that they inspired the music of that period in a way that alienated me personally.
    Sorry miss read that you put Nirvana in with Crue and Def Leppard.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting