Page 183 of 439 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193233283 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 6582

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Controversial Opinion: People who don't appreciate good bagpipe music because "It's Bagpipes!" deserve to have it played at them until they break and go full Stockholm Syndrome for the beauty of the pipes.
    The problem with bagpipes is the player actually has to know what they are doing. In the hands of an expert, it's amazing, but in the hands of anyone else the things produce one of the worst sounds ever. Little on this Earth sounds as bad as a set of bagpipes played by an amateur.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Thoughtless and irresponsible dog owners.

You know who you are. You're the people who erroneously believe that everyone living in your immediate vicinity is as much in love with your animal as you and your family evidently are. You also mistakenly believe that those people would consider it an honour to have to listen to your stupid animal yapping non stop at some ungodly hour of the night. You're the type of person that also walks your animal in a public area without it being on a lead. Again, you seem to be under the false impression that complete strangers are absolutely chuffed to have some random dog running up and bothering them without warning or justification. It won't bite? I wish I could bite you.

Prisons too good for you. I'd shove you in stocks and let people throw rotting vegetables at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The problem with bagpipes is the player actually has to know what they are doing. In the hands of an expert, it's amazing, but in the hands of anyone else the things produce one of the worst sounds ever. Little on this Earth sounds as bad as a set of bagpipes played by an amateur.
    That doesn't make the good songs any less good. I hate accordion with a burning passion in most cases, but I've been to 2 live Weird Al concerts and I'm proud of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I’ve “offended” people without touching on any of the subjects you mentioned.
    It isn't my business if you have. The point is that incidents of offense would be less likely to happen if those subjects were avoided.

I guess if people just stopped talking, we would stop offending people then?
    Probably not.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 07-29-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It isn't my business if you have. The point is that incidents of offense would be less likely to happen if those subjects were avoided.
    I mean, your scenario (people not talking about those things) is just as likely to happen as it is for people to just accept that everyone is different and has different opinions, and just mosey on about their days.

Plus you said:

If you can't have a conversation without touching on these subjects you should evaluate your interpersonal skills.
    So you are making what people say "your business" by judging them for what they talk about. Classy.

Probably not.
    True. Some people are just easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    That doesn't make the good songs any less good. I hate accordion with a burning passion in most cases, but I've been to 2 live Weird Al concerts and I'm proud of that.
    I mention it because I have heard a fair amount of live bagpipe music, but have only heard good bagpipe music from a recording. The line between sounding epic/awesome and 'my ears are bleeding' seems to be pretty thin, with no space for 'just ok' or 'good but not great' in between them. The instrument seems unique to me for that reason.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Marvel comics today are a hot, bloated mess that only has a passing similarity to the Silver and Bronze Age books.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Marvel comics today are a hot, bloated mess that only has a passing similarity to the Silver and Bronze Age books.
    I take issue with that statement. It isn't controversial at all, and therefore does not belong in this thread.

It may even qualify as objective fact.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Eh. At least Marvel's head honchos don't have to come out and say "We will fix our continuity".

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't see how that's controversial.

Eh. At least Marvel's head honchos don't have to come out and say "We will fix our continuity".
    This is true.

They would have to acknowledge such a thing as continuity first, wouldn't they?
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    They would have to acknowledge such a thing as continuity first, wouldn't they?
    The lack of any true universal reboots kind of speaks for itself.

Sure, things have been retconned/changed/forgotten...that's almost expected in a medium over 40 years old, and in a medium where characters are expected to remain relevant. And "Marvel Time" isn't the most eloquent solution to the timeline of things, but it avoids hard reboots that seem to cause even more problems when "Ooops, let's go back to what we had before" becomes the desire.

What glaring issues do you suppose are problematic?

I mean, your scenario (people not talking about those things) is just as likely to happen as it is for people to just accept that everyone is different and has different opinions, and just mosey on about their days.
    Incidents of employees taking offense at comments regarding the four subjects I listed would be less likely if the subjects were not discussed. Whether or not it's likely to happen doesn't apply.

So you are making what people say "your business" by judging them for what they talk about. Classy.
    I'm not judging them on the subjects they discuss, rather their ability to converse in a work environment without touching on the listed subjects. If the subjects don't relate to the job I'd think they'd be easily avoided. That is, unless someone just doesn't care whether they're offensive to their coworkers.

True. Some people are just easily offended.
    I agree. Some people are also callously offensive. In a work environment who has more of a right to expect their feelings are respected?
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

I'm actually enjoying Marvel Comics more now that I have in almost 15 years. I'm no where close to reading as much as I used to, but I'm enjoying everything I'm reading far more. Captain America, Immortal Hulk, Amazing Spider-Man, and Daredevil are genuinely good. And I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying both Conan the Barbarian and Savage Sword of Conan.

Ultimate Member

The lack of any true universal reboots kind of speaks for itself.

Sure, things have been retconned/changed/forgotten...that's almost expected in a medium over 40 years old, and in a medium where characters are expected to remain relevant. And "Marvel Time" isn't the most eloquent solution to the timeline of things, but it avoids hard reboots that seem to cause even more problems when "Ooops, let's go back to what we had before" becomes the desire.

What glaring issues do you suppose are problematic?
    I'd argue that the numerous Marvel retcons and revamps serve the same purpose. Just because Marvel changes continuity in the individual titles rather than doing a company wide event, I don't think is proof that they're handling their shared universe better.