Page 184 of 194 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 2907
    DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    With two World Wars? Dunno man. The 12th Century had the Crusaders to offer, but the scale? I'd need to see numbers.
    Take our casualties in WWII compared to the Civil War - they're roughly the same in absolute numbers, but as a percentage of the US population, the latter was unquestionably more damaging to the citizenry than the former. In fact, you can combine both WWII and WWI casualties and they still don't remotely approach the Civil War numbers as a percentage.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Take our casualties in WWII compared to the Civil War - they're roughly the same in absolute numbers, but as a percentage of the US population, the latter was unquestionably more damaging to the citizenry than the former. In fact, you can combine both WWII and WWI casualties and they still don't remotely approach the Civil War numbers as a percentage.
    Yeah, but pretty much every casualty in the Civil War was an American casualty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Yeah, but pretty much every casualty in the Civil War was an American casualty.
    Okay, take the American Revolution instead. The US casualties were twice the number of the World War numbers as expressed a percentage of population.

Okay, take the American Revolution instead. The US casualties were twice the number of the World War numbers as expressed a percentage of population.
    I think the Mongols take the cake as far as % of total population is concerned. Genghis Khan is credited with 10% of the global population (40 million people).
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Boisterously Confused

Ah. I thought you were talking about Global Carnage, not just US.

Fantastic Member

I don't think bad writing is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think the Mongols take the cake as far as % of total population is concerned. Genghis Khan is credited with 10% of the global population (40 million people).
    Yeah, I would think that era had far, far more killing and mayhem than the last century.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Ah. I thought you were talking about Global Carnage, not just US.
    I believe it's the case globally, too, Doc. I'll try to back up my theory with numbers within the next few days.

Yeah, I would think that era had far, far more killing and mayhem than the last century.
    I've said it before, and it's been stated by someone else, but what makes the Holocaust in particular stand out is that unlike most other genocides (which are about gaining or keeping power/resources), what the Nazis did was the end goal in and of itself. People can comprehend inhuman things done for some other goal, but when those things are the goal in and of themselves it becomes horrifying. Most people I know point to the Killing Fields of Pol Pot right after the Holocaust despite both of them being well outnumbered in the number of corpses by other events.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Part of this is also due to the massive population explosion the world has gone through in the past couple centuries.

in 1750 the global population was 700 million, hitting 1 billion for the first time in 1804 (1.2 billion in 1850), 2 billion in 1927, 3 billion in 1960, and so on. But the population only grew from 200 million at the BC/AD flip to 275 million in the year 1000. So smaller total numbers in the past are likely to be larger percentages of the whole than larger total numbers are today.

I've said it before, and it's been stated by someone else, but what makes the Holocaust in particular stand out is that unlike most other genocides (which are about gaining or keeping power/resources), what the Nazis did was the end goal in and of itself. People can comprehend inhuman things done for some other goal, but when those things are the goal in and of themselves it becomes horrifying. Most people I know point to the Killing Fields of Pol Pot right after the Holocaust despite both of them being well outnumbered in the number of corpses by other events.
    That I agree with, GL. The 20th century regrettably can't run away from that.

Part of this is also due to the massive population explosion the world has gone through in the past couple centuries.

in 1750 the global population was 700 million, hitting 1 billion for the first time in 1804 (1.2 billion in 1850), 2 billion in 1927, 3 billion in 1960, and so on. But the population only grew from 200 million at the BC/AD flip to 275 million in the year 1000. So smaller total numbers in the past are likely to be larger percentages of the whole than larger total numbers are today.
    Exactly right. The 20th century world population really stands out in comparison with earlier century totals.

Fantastic Member

I did not care for American Pie.
    There I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I did not care for American Pie.
    There I said it.
    The song, the movie, or both?
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

Not even close. Are you kidding lol?