Page 186 of 194 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 2907

It's my opinion that HR's job would be much easier if employees avoided these four subjects while conversing:

Religion
    Politics
    Sex
    The personal appearance of anyone other than yourself.

If you can't have a conversation without touching on these subjects you should evaluate your interpersonal skills.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Good. I think the book is pretty cool and it touched at one moment the topic discussed here, which I think is an interesting theme. The book basically is a summary of the history of mankind
    Sounds interesting, Chubistian. I'll keep an eye out for it in the future.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Fantastic Member

I can't seem to get into death metal/screamo. I know there is some sort of interesting thing going on there talent wise, but I'm not finding it.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I can't seem to get into death metal/screamo. I know there is some sort of interesting thing going on there talent wise, but I'm not finding it.
    It's definitely an acquired taste. Luckily it's a acquired taste that I do have.

Not sure how controversial this is but I massively prefer the 1980's music scene to the 1990's. It was a bit dumb and excessive at times for sure but the 90's Gen-X bands were just way too miserable for me. And nu-metal is without question the worst offshoot of metal in history. I really hate the Britpop scene that was a big deal back then here in the UK too. 90's culture stinks in general.

Give me, say, Def Leppard or Motley Crue over Nirvana any day.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    .... 90's culture stinks in general.

Yet Nirvana influenced a lot of 90's culture, yes the ban started in the late 80's but that is like calling Van Halen a 70's band though it was such staple in the 80's.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Yet Nirvana influenced a lot of 90's culture, yes the ban started in the late 80's but that is like calling Van Halen a 70's band though it was such staple in the 80's.
    I'm not 100% sure what your point is there if I'm being honest. Sorry.

The fact that Nirvana were a hugely influential band during the 1990's despite being formed earlier is definitely true but the point that I was making was that they inspired the music of that period in a way that alienated me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    It's my opinion that HR's job would be much easier if employees avoided these four subjects while conversing:

Religion
    Politics
    Sex
    The personal appearance of anyone other than yourself.

If you can't have a conversation without touching on these subjects you should evaluate your interpersonal skills.
    What an awkward conversation to only talk about the appearance of only oneself; the other participant(s) can't really say anything!
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

It's definitely an acquired taste. Luckily it's a acquired taste that I do have.

Not sure how controversial this is but I massively prefer the 1980's music scene to the 1990's. It was a bit dumb and excessive at times for sure but the 90's Gen-X bands were just way too miserable for me. And nu-metal is without question the worst offshoot of metal in history. I really hate the Britpop scene that was a big deal back then here in the UK too. 90's culture stinks in general.

Part of what made Nirvana explode to the level they did was how stale the hair bands had become.

First, a single about how sexy and/or dangerous the frontman/whole band is. Then, a power ballad to show the more serious side. Sometimes an acoustic song subbed in for the power ballad, but for the same end.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

I'm not 100% sure what your point is there if I'm being honest. Sorry.

The fact that Nirvana were a hugely influential band during the 1990's despite being formed earlier is definitely true but the point that I was making was that they inspired the music of that period in a way that alienated me personally.
    Sorry miss read that you put Nirvana in with Crue and Def Leppard.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Part of what made Nirvana explode to the level they did was how stale the hair bands had become.

First, a single about how sexy and/or dangerous the frontman/whole band is. Then, a power ballad to show the more serious side. Sometimes an acoustic song subbed in for the power ballad, but for the same end.
    Oh, don't get me wrong. The hair metal genre did have it's issues. Like you say it was formulaic and over-saturated. In certain respects it was a dead-scene-walking towards the end. I doubt the world really missed Winger. Or Warrant. Or Slaughter. Or Britney Fox. Or Roxy Blue. The list goes on. I don't mind new generations of bands coming through at all. It's a lifeblood that keeps music relevant and vital. The alternative rock/metal scene took over during the 90's in a way that was brutal at the time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Sorry miss read that you put Nirvana in with Crue and Def Leppard.
    No problem man. Putting the words Def Leppard and Nirvana in the same sentence does seem a little weird .

Fantastic Member

Not sure how controversial this is but I massively prefer the 1980's music scene to the 1990's. It was a bit dumb and excessive at times for sure but the 90's Gen-X bands were just way too miserable for me.
    I think that's what made it into something unique. Grunge was far different than any of the music that came before it, I suppose you can say the same for death metal/screamo, but I guess that type of music plays to an emotion that I have just never felt. Perhaps that's what it comes down to, you have to experience what the art or artist is going through to truly understand it.

Ultimate Member

I think that's what made it into something unique. Grunge was far different than any of the music that came before it, I suppose you can say the same for death metal/screamo, but I guess that type of music plays to an emotion that I have just never felt. Perhaps that's what it comes down to, you have to experience what the art or artist is going through to truly understand it.
    I'd prefer to say that it felt fresh after the previous decade of really shallow LA Hair bands, but it's not too hard to see how some of the grunge bands were sort of reworking Sabbath and early classic rock through a kind of "punk rock" filter. And I say this as guy that likes a lot of those bands.

Boisterously Confused

Defining music by decade is deeply flawed idea. The Beatles and Pat Boone, for example, were entertainment contemporaries.

Fantastic Member TriggerWarning's Avatar

Not really different at all. Grunge was just a continuation of the sound that many 80's alternative bands had been making. Take for instance this song by Husker Du, a band that many grunge bands cite as influence, that came out in the mid 80's - if it had been released in 1995 people would have assumed it was another Seattle band. Nirvana just popularized the sound. Besides Husker Du you could cite some early REM stuff, Jesus and the Mary Chain, The Stone Roses, and a number of other 80's bands as being the forefathers of grunge with similar sounds. And they of course evolved out of the new wave sounds of the early 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoKeH7JYE48

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'd prefer to say that it felt fresh after the previous decade of really shallow LA Hair bands, but it's not too hard to see how some of the grunge bands were sort of reworking Sabbath and early classic rock through a kind of "punk rock" filter. And I say this as guy that likes a lot of those bands.
    I'll agree with that - grunge wasn't far different than anything that came before it, but it was far different than anything else typically playing on the radio at the time.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves