Page 214 of 441 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224264314 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 6606

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm thinking about going back to using dots in all my abbreviations--as I learned to do in school. Like, instead of DC, it would be D.C. And instead of USA, it would be U.S.A. I find that abbreviations can get confusing without the dots. For example, IT--absent of context, it's hard to know if that's the title of a movie--IT--or just an abbreviation for information technology.

I really hate the abbreviation OK. To me it should either be O.K. or okay. Even worse is when it's lower case, ok--that looks like it should be pronounced "awk."
    I used to use all the dots until I started typing more than writing. The programs on most electronics tends to automatically capitalize the next letter after using one and that's pretty annoying - especially on tablets and phones where you change something and they change it right back for you anyways.
    Dark does not mean deep.

There are musicals called "jukebox" musicals. These are pretty much collections of already recorded songs that celebrate the artist or the timeframe or style of music. Examples of this are the musicals Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys. These statements are fact. My controversial opinion:

Songs from these musicals AREN'T showtunes. Sorry. The music and musicals are valid, but considering them showtunes is disingenuous. Using them as material in a showtunes collection is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm thinking about going back to using dots in all my abbreviations--as I learned to do in school. Like, instead of DC, it would be D.C. And instead of USA, it would be U.S.A. I find that abbreviations can get confusing without the dots. For example, IT--absent of context, it's hard to know if that's the title of a movie--IT--or just an abbreviation for information technology.

I really hate the abbreviation OK. To me it should either be O.K. or okay. Even worse is when it's lower case, ok--that looks like it should be pronounced "awk."
    I'd also add using the oxford comma as well as two spaces after a period.

I love the movie The Rocketeer and think it is one of the most underrated Superhero movies ever.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    There are musicals called "jukebox" musicals. These are pretty much collections of already recorded songs that celebrate the artist or the timeframe or style of music. Examples of this are the musicals Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys. These statements are fact. My controversial opinion:

Songs from these musicals AREN'T showtunes. Sorry. The music and musicals are valid, but considering them showtunes is disingenuous. Using them as material in a showtunes collection is wrong.
    So agree with this. Not even sure if shows that are based on movie musicals, and the songs are from the movies should be considered showtunes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I love the movie The Rocketeer and think it is one of the most underrated Superhero movies ever.
    I don't find that controversial at all. I rewatch it about once a year.

I love the movie Castaway. But the idea of an island that always has giant waves coming in from all sides isn't just dumb, it defies science.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Warning: If you are from New England, this opinion will piss you off!

I prefer Manhattan Clam Chowder with tomatoes to New England Clam Chowder with a white milk base.

^^ Highly controversial!

(I'd argue, non cream based chowders really aren't chowders at all. Just a delicious clam soup.)

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Basically, anyone that's trying to convince me that the Velvet Underground are a more influential band than, say, Black Sabbath? Don't bother.
    The famous quote, by Brian Eno, goes: “The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band”
    Last edited by Joker; 05-06-2020 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    The famous quote, by Brian Eno, goes: “The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band”
    I'd also argue that your perspective and biases matter as well. For example, I'm assuming that WillieMorgan is a bigger metal fan than Indie or Alternative, so all the bands that are influenced by the Velvet Underground. I don't think it's even a question of who is more influential as I think both are on their respective genres.

It may just be my perspective, but as entertaining and sometimes informative his podcast can be, Joe Rogan strikes me as one of the most gullible men in the world. Except maybe when it comes to MMA and martial arts, but even then, not a lot of critical examination.

Quote Originally Posted by A Small Talent For War View Post
    It may just be my perspective, but as entertaining and sometimes informative his podcast can be, Joe Rogan strikes me as one of the most gullible men in the world. Except maybe when it comes to MMA and martial arts, but even then, not a lot of critical examination.
    He's a piece of shit grifter is what he is.

I don't know if he's gullible so much as non-confrontational and conversational. He;ll usually play a little Devil's Advocate, but again, not pushing very hard.

His show isn't supposed to be about interrogating his guest. That has its disadvantages and its advantages.

(He is into some weird ideas and products, but that's always been him.)

I read a quote that said "don't be so open minded that your brain falls out the back of your head." I think that describes Rogan perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Snyder only did that scene because it was "cool," he didn't bother looking for other alternatives - that's not his thing. Nowhere in MOS was it presented that Clark had problems killing people, there was nothing explored about that angle. Clark never went through a story arc about not killing again in any DCEU movie. If anything, after MOS he became more interested in killing people - it got easier for him. Snyder gets that reputation because the super-heroes he adapts are more about violence as a first resort, ask questions never. His Batman made Keaton's look less blood thirty, which is impressive. This is what separates him from someone like Patty Jenkins.

Clark kills a grand total of twice (the second of which resulted in his own death) in Snyder's movies and neither are as a first resort. Not that I see why Snyder is criticized for that when using violence as a first resort is how all superheroes operate and the MCU characters kill far more people with far more callousness than Clark. In MoS, Clark's first resort was to negotiate with Zod and in BvS he spends most of his screen time doing rescue work than any actual fighting. His Batman being bloodthirsty was never treated as a good thing or ignored by the narrative unlike Keaton's version. Complaining about superheroes using violence as a first resort in Synder's movies is basically holding them up to a standard they never lived up to in the first place.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-09-2020 at 01:16 PM.