Page 215 of 441 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217218219225265315 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 6604

If superheroes didnt resort to violence we would have 20 pages of masked men talking about their feelings. It would get boring very quick. Lets face it. As much as we all say we want story and character development (Which is great) we really want to see Batman Punch the Joker in the jaw.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Batman / Joker bores me to tears.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    If superheroes didnt resort to violence we would have 20 pages of masked men talking about their feelings. It would get boring very quick. Lets face it. As much as we all say we want story and character development (Which is great) we really want to see Batman Punch the Joker in the jaw.
    Not controversial. At their core, superhero comics have always been about good guys punching bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Not controversial. At their core, superhero comics have always been about good guys punching bad guys.
    I meant this as a response the above post where Agent Z was talking about people yelling about the violence first people yelling about Snyder. I should have qouted it. I was trying to say I agree with him
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Onto something else. I do not think Gender reveal parties are fun or cute. They are annoying. The first one was clever but now it is over done.

And I hate public marriage proposals. Why does some jerk at a Reds game want to ruin my good time by popping the question to his girl? Does he really want 20,000 people he doesnt know to share his moment. What an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    And I hate public marriage proposals. Why does some jerk at a Reds game want to ruin my good time by popping the question to his girl? Does he really want 20,000 people he doesnt know to share his moment. What an ass.
    I guess my response to that would be, how does it ruin your good time? I'm not saying it should necessarily add to it, but it's not like they'll slow down the game for it. It'll either happen on the jumbtron or on the field in between innings. Just as inconsequential as mascot races and the thing where you throw baseballs into slots for lottery tickets and slightly less inconsequential than God Bless America. I already removed my hat for you once, America. Why in the hell do i have to do it again?

Yeah, I don’t get how it ruins your good time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Personally, I'd be ok if they expanded into areas that aren't just punching. The settings do have sections which can revolve around the ridiculous elements that can be interesting. For example, they can do series based on Daredevil and She-Hulk being lawyers on crimes/law suits to do with super-hero crime, or space laws. Dan Slott partially did this in his She-Hulk run.

I'd rather we move away from punching being the answer to everything.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Personally, I'd be ok if they expanded into areas that aren't just punching. The settings do have sections which can revolve around the ridiculous elements that can be interesting. For example, they can do series based on Daredevil and She-Hulk being lawyers on crimes/law suits to do with super-hero crime, or space laws. Dan Slott partially did this in his She-Hulk run.
    I loved those two runs. In my younger years I despised the FF but now I'm tempted to start reading Slott's run. Maybe its not so much about punching and more about "science" and family drama. That'd be neat. Splash pages never held much appeal for me. My collection is built on writers, characters and colorists

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Yes, please.

Re: Public marriage proposals. If I have any objection to them, it's that the public venue might make the askee feel pressured to say yes.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-10-2020 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I guess my response to that would be, how does it ruin your good time? I'm not saying it should necessarily add to it, but it's not like they'll slow down the game for it. It'll either happen on the jumbtron or on the field in between innings. Just as inconsequential as mascot races and the thing where you throw baseballs into slots for lottery tickets and slightly less inconsequential than God Bless America. I already removed my hat for you once, America. Why in the hell do i have to do it again?
    The on i saw happened two rows in front of me in the middle of the bottom of the 7th during a Reds rally. He decided to do it then. Everyone in his party and there was a lot near him and me started to stand up and clap and make a big deal about it. I missed a two run home run because all these people were distracting me.

I guess I just see things like that as being very personal. I never saw the point of doing them in such a public setting. It is like when a couple does a massive amount of PDA.
    Last edited by babyblob; 05-10-2020 at 05:02 AM.

While shopping for Mothers Day cards one year, I see little cards specifying category. These are things like "mother-in-law", "sister", etc. there was one for LGBTQ and although I wasn't shopping for anyone in that category I looked. One card said "For my two Moms".

Seriously, if you have two Moms and you don't spring for two cards, you're a cheap asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    It is interesting that punching actually rarely solves anything in comics. No matter how many times Batman beats up the Joker, he'll be back. No matter how many times Daredevil beats up or even paralyzes Bullseye, he'll be back.

What's interesting is that as more people watch more crime documentary series, it's given society a much more realistic (and honestly cynical) perspective on the reality of crime, and how easy it is to get away with it. Even in the early Spider-Man comics, Lee and Ditko had scenes where Spider-Man tried to stop a crime and ended up being chased by the police for assault because he couldn't prove that the guy he just punched was actually trying to commit a crime.

While most superhero comics are essentially more mythic - superhuman hero fights essentially a superhuman monster - vigilante comics like Batman and Daredevil are still in an older mold related to hard-boiled crime stories or 70's & 80's martial arts/exploitation movies (especially with all the damn ninjas that pop up everywhere). Even so-called "kid's shows" from Ben10 to Stephen Universe to Naruto have more nuance than many DC or Marvel comics when it comes to the moral choices the characters make.

At the same time, violent stories are pretty universal from American comics and movies to Bollywood to Chinese and Korean soap operas. My wife loves watching these period pieces on Rakutan Wiki set in Ancient China or Korea with superhuman beings fighting each other and they have practically the same plots and scenes as anything from X-men or Star Wars.
    Last edited by A Small Talent For War; 05-10-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Red: Public marriage proposals. If I have any objection to them, it's that the public venue might make the askee feel pressured to say yes.
    That's true. But I can't imagine proposing without knowing what the answer is going to be first. I know that's not the case for everyone and maybe here is my controversial opinion. But if you're going to propose without having deep conversations about commitment and all the stuff that comes with it along with clarification that you're both on the same page, you're increasing the chance of failure.