Page 216 of 441 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226266316 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,240 of 6606
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    That's true. But I can't imagine proposing without knowing what the answer is going to be first. I know that's not the case for everyone and maybe here is my controversial opinion. But if you're going to propose without having deep conversations about commitment and all the stuff that comes with it along with clarification that you're both on the same page, you're increasing the chance of failure.
    Never underestimate the potential of average men to overestimate their value.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    That's true. But I can't imagine proposing without knowing what the answer is going to be first. I know that's not the case for everyone and maybe here is my controversial opinion. But if you're going to propose without having deep conversations about commitment and all the stuff that comes with it along with clarification that you're both on the same page, you're increasing the chance of failure.
    Even though I did get married, I would never ever actually recommend it as the natural progression of any romantic relationship. Unless there are actual legal or other concerns that are an incentive, I really cannot think of a good reason for any couple to marry just for the sake of it. It doesn't increase the love in the relationship and it adds all sorts of pressure and burdens to it - like any unnatural event would. Potentially, a marriage will have as bad an impact on a relationship as one partner losing their job.

I'd also definitely recommend becoming extremely familiar with divorce laws that apply to the marriage in whatever state or country you apply and considering pre-nup agreements. Chances are very good that people will get divorced especially in some areas, and most weddings are extremely expensive to begin with. In my (potentially controversial) opinion, marriage should be avoided as much as possible these days. It's no guarantee that the relationship will be stronger after it, and in fact I've seen many relationships decline because a couple got married without any practical reason to do so.
    Last edited by A Small Talent For War; 05-10-2020 at 12:50 PM.

I actually feel if you go for a prenup you've basically admitted you dont trust the relationship to last

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I actually feel if you go for a prenup you've basically admitted you dont trust the relationship to last
    Odds are against it lasting for your entire life in about half of all new marriages. Shorter in some places like California and longer in others. Essentially, I think it's only become reasonable to factor in the likelihood people will change and marriages are no longer permanent agreements. I think there are some countries where marriages are innately temporary and couples have to recommit every few years. That seems to fit our current culture much better than the 19th and early 20th century expectations that two people would actually still want to be together their entire lives.

I think the divorce laws should decide whether you need a pre-nup or not, but it seems like few people actually take a look at any legal ramifications before they propose.

Boisterously Confused

I don't have one, and haven't needed it in the last 30+ years. However, I can see it, particularly for people who've been victims of an abusive relationship. For their own peace of mind they have to know there's a way to safety that doesn't require abandoning all that they have.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I don't have one, and haven't needed it in the last 30+ years. However, I can see it, particularly for people who've been victims of an abusive relationship. For their own peace of mind they have to know there's a way to safety that doesn't require abandoning all that they have.
    Which is totally fine, the issue is when theres nothing like that at all.

I'd rather we move away from punching being the answer to everything.
    I'd like a hero whose superpower is knowing exactly the right thing to say.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Warning: If you are from New England, this opinion will piss you off!

I prefer Manhattan Clam Chowder with tomatoes to New England Clam Chowder with a white milk base.
    I'm from the New England area and for some reason I just don't like clams with tomatoes, its the same when I get linguine. I go for the white instead of the red. That may be controversial, though.

I rather their be a nice balance between fists/powers and drama/character in my books. I'm not sure if that is very controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    While shopping for Mothers Day cards one year, I see little cards specifying category. These are things like "mother-in-law", "sister", etc. there was one for LGBTQ and although I wasn't shopping for anyone in that category I looked. One card said "For my two Moms".

Seriously, if you have two Moms and you don't spring for two cards, you're a cheap asshole.
    Eh, I can see a situation where the card is a good out. Obviously at some point one of your moms was with a guy or you don't exist. If your second "mom" wasn't even part of your birth mom's life til after you grew up you may not consider her a mom at all. My dad remarried when I was 20 yrs old. I got along just fine with his new wife but by no means did I even remotely consider her a mom or stepmom figure to me especially since the first time I met her was at the wedding (my dad lived 2500 miles away). So she isn't someone I'd get a mother's day card for.

Liken that to someone who had their mom go lesbian later in life and marry someone new much like my dad did. Do you ignore her completely while giving your mom a card or do you use the two mom card as a way of hopefully not offending anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Obviously at some point one of your moms was with a guy or you don't exist.
    Speaking of controversial opinions.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Strange Days v Blade Runner
    Blade Runner has nothing if you take out Rutger Hauer and nice visuals. Strange Days has a better plot, better acting from the cast and much better music

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Blade Runner has nothing if you take out Rutger Hauer and nice visuals. Strange Days has a better plot, better acting from the cast and much better music
    Nothing wrong with liking one over the other. But this is simply not true.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Just don't get married. It's just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    You're right, this is a controversial opinion. Also, it's a really stupid one. Removing two key elements from any movie is going to take it down a lot of notches.

Though, I strongly disagree. Ford is perfectly understated for a neo noir. Hannah was an absolute joy. Easily Sean Young's best. All the supporting cast are terrific. The music is still revered. I've never heard anyone talk about the Strange Days score. Even google autofills "soundtrack" before you even finish typing "Blade Ru".

The visuals. I mean, they put an immense amount of work into the visuals on Blade Runner. The setting was absolutely key to the movie. So yes, removing them would definitely harm the film. It is literally one of the most influential sci-fi films ever made because of the visuals.

Taking out the other main character/villain is definitely going to change things.

If you took Darth Vader and the "nice visuals" out of Star Wars, what are you left with? Not a great movie, it turns out. That's why nice visuals and great villains are key to movies that take place in fantastic settings.

Anyway, don't handicap a movie to prop up the one you like better.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    You're right, this is a controversial opinion. Also, it's a really stupid one. Removing two key elements from any movie is going to take it down a lot of notches.

Though, I strongly disagree. Ford is perfectly understated for a neo noir. Hannah was an absolute joy. Easily Sean Young's best. All the supporting cast are terrific. The music is still revered. I've never heard anyone talk about the Strange Days score. Even google autofills "soundtrack" before you even finish typing "Blade Ru".

The visuals. I mean, they put an immense amount of work into the visuals on Blade Runner. The setting was absolutely key to the movie. So yes, removing them would definitely harm the film. It is literally one of the most influential sci-fi films ever made because of the visuals.

Taking out the other main character/villain is definitely going to change things.

If you took Darth Vader and the "nice visuals" out of Star Wars, what are you left with? Not a great movie, it turns out. That's why nice visuals and great villains are key to movies that take place in fantastic settings.

Anyway, don't handicap a movie to prop up the one you like better.
    Agreed. I just like the PKD book better. At least Strange Days is about strange days and Star Wars is about war between stars but is someone running with a blade in BR? Hah