Page 22 of 441 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

I also think that it was a show that put a first season together with that they were a mid-season replacement in mind. It seems like they wrapped that first season so it could function as what amounted to a long mini-series.

Ah, this is where my own controversial opinion about supposedly poor first seasons of certain beloved TV shows comes in. I most often hear this about Buffy, Star Trek TNG, and The Simpsons. I think none of these particular shows' first seasons are bad per se, but rather that the sheer excellence of subsequent seasons ends up overshadowing the subtle brilliance and originality in those early episodes. These are shows that had a steady rise in quality (before experiencing a drop later on), as opposed to some other shows that start out with an amazing first season only to stagnate and/or nosedive in later seasons.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I never understood the mad fandom for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The original movie was goofy and forgettable, and I just couldn't get into the TV show, I only watched a handful of episodes in the show's first season before I decided it was a waste of my time and dropped it. I just don't see why the show was so popular.
    Buffy is hugely influential. How many TV programmes are there these days with a sci/fantasy element which have a structure which is largely episodic, but have a over-reaching plots which last for a season at a time? Now there is a huge amount, but I can't think of any before Buffy. I'm sure they existed, but not to the same degree that they do post-Buffy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Buffy is hugely influential. How many TV programmes are there these days with a sci/fantasy element which have a structure which is largely episodic, but have a over-reaching plots which last for a season at a time? Now there is a huge amount, but I can't think of any before Buffy. I'm sure they existed, but not to the same degree that they do post-Buffy.
    Babylon 5 has if beaten by about 3 years, but yeah, not much else.

- Buffy sucks

- Firefly is boring AF

- There should be tax penalties for not voting

- The world would be a lot better if everyone was more blunt

- Girls that think they don't have to shower after a workout or don't have to wear deodorant are idiots (professional hazard on my part). You smell. Stop it.

- Fist fights should be legal if both parties agree to it. The world would be a better place.

- There should be an obesity tax.

- breathalyzers should be standard on all cars and required to start the car bc people are too stupid to police themselves in this manner
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I was never a fan of The Sopranos. I thought it was a dull and very boring show.
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Babylon 5 has if beaten by about 3 years, but yeah, not much else.
    The X-Files

I dislike Brian Michael Bendis writing.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

You cannot have success and become rich AND STAY a good person.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I never understood the mad fandom for Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The original movie was goofy and forgettable, and I just couldn't get into the TV show, I only watched a handful of episodes in the show's first season before I decided it was a waste of my time and dropped it. I just don't see why the show was so popular.
    I never got into the TV show because I had seen the movie growing up. It never made sense to me to make Buffy a serious story when the movie was a parody of slasher films. Also, there's something about Whedon's writing that just gets on my nerves and with the exception of Toy Story and the original Buffy I have not liked his work. It's like everyone has to make a smartass remark all the damn time. It's not clever, it's just annoying.

American Gothic was a interesting series, but I can see why it got cancelled.

Frank's Place and Pickett Fences were better shows than Twin Peaks.

The simpler a pizza is, the better it tastes. If you have to put gimmicks like pasta and French Fries on your pizza, it's to cover up that your pizza isn't good.

Sopressata > Salami > Pepperoni

Unless if you do the prep before hand, it takes longer to cook a meal at home than to eat out. Or maybe there's some shortcuts I don't know about...

I like rap music more now than I did fifteen years ago. I never got into 50 Cent, Kanye West, snap music, etc. Just wasn't my thing. Outkast was great though.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    NASCAR for me is a generic term for any car related entertainment other than Monster Truck rallies or that glorious Southern spectacle that is the Demolition Derby.
    No love for rally racing? Or F1? Or stock car? Or modding?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    I never got into the TV show because I had seen the movie growing up. It never made sense to me to make Buffy a serious story when the movie was a parody of slasher films. Also, there's something about Whedon's writing that just gets on my nerves and with the exception of Toy Story and the original Buffy I have not liked his work. It's like everyone has to make a smartass remark all the damn time. It's not clever, it's just annoying.
    That's why I didn't care for his 1st Avengers movie (but "yay, Buffy").

BANNED

I never got into the TV show because I had seen the movie growing up. It never made sense to me to make Buffy a serious story when the movie was a parody of slasher films.
    See, the movie was not ever a parody of slasher films (you can tell from the complete lack of shashers), and it was a lot less serious than it was supposed to be because of executive meddling. The tv series is Buffy as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The X-Files
    It had the serialised background story, but it didn't break it down into seasons with a "big bad" each season the way Buffy did. It was another hugely influential show though.

I haven't seen Babylon 5 so I can't comment on that.

BTW - there was an article on BBC News about the influence of Buffy that popped up over the weekend: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39229395

No love for rally racing? Or F1? Or stock car? Or modding?
    I have heard of those individual terms here & there but it's all NASCAR to me.

I like rap music more now than I did fifteen years ago. I never got into 50 Cent, Kanye West, snap music, etc. Just wasn't my thing. Outkast was great though.
    I have discovered my increased tolerance for certain artists like The Ghetto Boys & specific albums like Beastie Boys record like "Paul's Boutique".
    Last edited by GOLGO 13; 03-13-2017 at 08:06 AM.