Page 237 of 440 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241247287337 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,555 of 6600
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    We should never take down statues or try to ban flags. They are pieces of a past who did happen and trying to forget the past is the worst thing a people can do.
    Would you say the same thing to the folks who have done everything to write history the way they want it?

Funny how some history books won't mention Lincoln wanting to ship black folks out of the USA to another country. Because he felt the races were not equal nor that no one should be forced to work for another person without compensation.

Or how some schools (mainly in Texas) had ZERO issue allowing Hispanics, Asian and any other race into their schools. Yet ONLY blacks were not allowed to be in white schools.
    Or it took a tv show to expose kids to what Black Wall Street was. Or a movie called Hidden Figures showing what black women did for NASA.
    Or This is America Charlie Brown showing WHO built the Transcontinental Railroad path. Asians who were MIA when the final photo was taken.

We almost had history book in Texas that said from 2008-2016 there was no President of the United States. Bill Clinton had no wife while in office. Helen Keller nor Black Panthers existed.

There’s nothing special about practical effects that makes them any better than ones done via CG.

I also can’t really take the complaint “it’s CG, it’s fake so I can’t care” seriously. It’s a movie, it’s all fake.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    There’s nothing special about practical effects that makes them any better than ones done via CG.

I also can’t really take the complaint “it’s CG, it’s fake so I can’t care” seriously. It’s a movie, it’s all fake.
    I agree. I grew up on the old stuff and still love it, but I'm very happy we have CGI today. Some recent movies wouldn't have been able to be made without the latter.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I disagree. There are practical effects that have impact because real people are involved. Real sky diving sequences are just more exciting than green screen. Look at Fast and Furious. One of the sequels used a lot of CGI. It was like watching Forza on XBox. and just as boring. Even though we know they are carefully planned and filmed stunts, the real cars and drivers makes it much better.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 10-04-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The statues should be in a museum if they are really there for history. Not on public tax payer supported land. If someone wants to have a statue of Lee or a confederate flag on private land that is fine. But on public land or on a business like how the Kentucky Speedway said no to confederate flags taht is fine. if you have a problem with no flags at a Nascar event then stay home.

I love civil war history. I have several reproduction flags both Union and Confederate. But I do not display them or force any one to look at them. I used to have a firearm from the Civil War that I paid good money for. But when I got out of prison I had to get rid of it because it was in firing condition and I am a felon. That bummed me out.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I do not mind CGI when it is done right. Like the Jurassic park movies did it Well. But a lot of these action movies just really over do it and that is bad.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The issue I have with CGI isn't that it exists, but the over reliance on it. Like practical effects, CGI requires care to be put into the work or it comes off as fake. The difference is that even with bad practical effects, there is something there for actors and the crew to react to, whereas with CGI it is often all added in during post production. One person in the scene whose eyes are focused on the wrong spot, or the effect not interacting with the environment properly, and it takes the audience out of things faster than bad practical effects.

There is a line in the Deed of Paksenarrion novels where a wizard explains that the illusion of fire is more difficult than creating an actual one. Should an unforeseen wind gust make the flame flicker in the wrong direction, and the spell us effectively broken, whereas reality carries a conviction all it's own.

Basically, it is both easier to create CGI nowadays while retaining everything that makes it easy to mess up - while we live in an age with the potential for incredible CGI effects (motion capture often being the best as it eliminates much of the potential for screwups) the easy access to it exposes less skilled film crews.
    Dark does not mean deep.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I disagree. There are practical effects that have impact because real people are involved. Real sky diving sequences are just more exciting than green screen. Look at Fast and Furious. One of the sequels used a lot of CGI. It was like watching Forza on XBox. and just as boring. Even though we know they are carefully planned and filmed stunts, the real cars and drivers makes it much better.
    I don't want CGI for everything, either, but sometimes it's the only way to handle a scene creatively and even cheaply.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The issue I have with CGI isn't that it exists, but the over reliance on it. Like practical effects, CGI requires care to be put into the work or it comes off as fake. The difference is that even with bad practical effects, there is something there for actors and the crew to react to, whereas with CGI it is often all added in during post production. One person in the scene whose eyes are focused on the wrong spot, or the effect not interacting with the environment properly, and it takes the audience out of things faster than bad practical effects.

There is a line in the Deed of Paksenarrion novels where a wizard explains that the illusion of fire is more difficult than creating an actual one. Should an unforeseen wind gust make the flame flicker in the wrong direction, and the spell us effectively broken, whereas reality carries a conviction all it's own.

Basically, it is both easier to create CGI nowadays while retaining everything that makes it easy to mess up - while we live in an age with the potential for incredible CGI effects (motion capture often being the best as it eliminates much of the potential for screwups) the easy access to it exposes less skilled film crews.
    It's in execution. Raiders Of The Lost Ark in contrast with Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull says it all.

Femme fatale characters are far more egregious examples of writer prudishness than simply giving female characters more modest designs.

Invincible Member

The new Animaniacs cartoon on Hulu is scheduled to start next month. I'm preparing myself for the onslaught of social media rants about how the new version has "ruined my childhood" or has gone all "SJW".

Age should play no factor in sports decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The new Animaniacs cartoon on Hulu is scheduled to start next month. I'm preparing myself for the onslaught of social media rants about how the new version has "ruined my childhood" or has gone all "SJW".
    Or you could just ignore what everyone else says.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Or you could just ignore what everyone else says.
    And miss out on all of the fake outrage and grifting? Perish the thought!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Femme fatale characters are far more egregious examples of writer prudishness than simply giving female characters more modest designs.
    I'm curious, and hold no real opinion, not having given it much thought before. Could you expand on your position?