Page 239 of 255 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 3818
  1. #3571
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Funny, I remember the same people who say taking down the statues is an affront to history cheering when the statues of Saddam were being torn down.
    Good point.

  2. #3572
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Funny, I remember the same people who say taking down the statues is an affront to history cheering when the statues of Saddam were being torn down.
    Dude took office, what?

    Like a year after the first Van Halen album came out?

    Not exactly "History..." to be an affront to.

    Tab hit the scene way before that.

  3. #3573
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I'd be in favor of replacing the statues of Columbus with those of other prominent Italians who don't happen to be associated with genocide. Maybe Leonardo DaVinci or Galileo?
    Always weird how everybody and their brother is out for blood when it comes to the Italian element of that but you hear right around "Nothing..." about the Basque aspect of the whole thing.

  4. #3574
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Dude took office, what?

    Like a year after the first Van Halen album came out?

    Not exactly "History..." to be an affront to.

    Tab hit the scene way before that.
    Or statues of Hitler, or statues of Stalin, or statues of .....
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  5. #3575
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Always weird how everybody and their brother is out for blood when it comes to the Italian element of that but you hear right around "Nothing..." about the Basque aspect of the whole thing.
    Explain???
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  6. #3576
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Funny, I remember the same people who say taking down the statues is an affront to history cheering when the statues of Saddam were being torn down.
    The same people, that get apoplectic over some statues being pulled down, can't begin to understand why indigenous people are angry over the expropriation of their sacred land for commercial interests. The first nation in my region of the world has lived here for over 5,000 years (I did a paper on them for an archaeology course)--yet when some conservatives want to dig up ancient burial land for a parking lot, the natives are labelled as irrational in opposing them.
    🇨🇦
    [Exit, pursued
    by a bear.

  7. #3577
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The same people, that get apoplectic over some statues being pulled down, can't begin to understand why indigenous people are angry over the expropriation of their sacred land for commercial interests. The first nation in my region of the world has lived here for over 5,000 years (I did a paper on them for an archaeology course)--yet when some conservatives want to dig up ancient burial land for a parking lot, the natives are labelled as irrational in opposing them.
    This is like the bullshit cry of "It's Heritage not Racism" that the neo confederates bray. Sure, but your "heritage" is one of racism and slavery, so maybe it shouldn't be celebrated.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  8. #3578
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Explain???
    "Explain???..." as in "Hey. I've never really heard anything about that."?

    Or - Did you mean something else could stand a bit of detail?

  9. #3579
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    "Explain???..." as in "Hey. I've never really heard anything about that."?

    Or - Did you mean something else could stand a bit of detail?
    I am not sure what Basque part of the story you mean? I guess I have not heard what part of the story of Columbus had to do with the Basques in America.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  10. #3580
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    20,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am not sure what Basque part of the story you mean? I guess I have not heard what part of the story of Columbus had to do with the Basques in America.
    Got it.

    Man, there is a lot of the history that just falls by the wayside in the telling.

    It is impossible to overestimate the link between Basque shipbuilding and sailing in the conquest of the Americas. These activities positioned the Basques for a dominating role in the discovery and development of New World colonies. It begins with the journey of Christopher Columbus in 1492, with the Santa Maria, Niña, and Pinta. The Santa Maria was built in a Basque shipyard and owned by Juan de la Cosa, a Basque. In addition, nine Basque sailors were aboard the Santa Maria, six sailed on the Niña, and two were part of the crew on the Pinta.
    Which doesn't really even get into De La Cosa's later voyages exploring parts of the new world where how Europeans colonized them is an issue.

    There's also the possibility that there was a Basque involvement in Newfoundland.

    Just a lot of "Why Would Folks Leave Them Out Of Laying Blame Almost Entirely?..." when the Basque were a pretty central element of it taking place.

    Which sets aside a lot of the really "This Should Be More Common Historical Knowledge..." as far as what came after Columbus and the theory that Columbus could actually have been Basque himself(though that latter part isn't settled as far as I know...)

    There's a good bit of background in this piece -

    https://euskalkazeta.com/basques-in-...-1492-to-1592/

    Basques in the Americas 1492 to 1592

  11. #3581
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,667

    Default

    Oh, I see what you are referring to. My comment about Italian Americans did not have to do with the real history of Columbus, but rather his embrace by the Italian Americans as a symbol of their place in America. Which was mainly based on a false narrative. And also strange that yes, Columbus was Italian from Genoa, but his voyage had nothing to do with Italy, he sailed for Spain.
    But as you laid out here with additional info about the Basques and Columbus, the statues for him have little to do with history and taking them down will not remove history, in fact, it might lead to a better understanding of the facts.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  12. #3582
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,074

    Default

    ...How this one, since I think I may be bending the rules a bit:

    Aquaman is the best “King Arthur” live action movie for anyone who wants human characterization mixed with their mythological fun.

    Even Excalibur, as great as it is, s more dealing with archetypes than people.
    Franchise Wars Podcast and YouTube Host.
    TITANS pilot Recap, Reaction, and Review video! https://youtu.be/l1tKBTUtiyM
    The Force Awakens vs The Last Jedi https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=408109126
    Teen Titans (03) vs Teen Titans Go! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734

  13. #3583
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,440

    Default

    John Boorman's EXCALIBUR? When that movie came out--and I saw it--it was widely panned by the critics. My thought was--oh it's not that bad. It was an okay sort of movie--but not really faithful to Arthurian legend. And I can see why many turned on it for its ridiculous excesses. I thought it was consigned to the junkheap of history. Yet I see fans these days lauding the movie. I wonder how did it get rehabilitated in pop culture?
    🇨🇦
    [Exit, pursued
    by a bear.

  14. #3584
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    11,955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    John Boorman's EXCALIBUR? When that movie came out--and I saw it--it was widely panned by the critics. My thought was--oh it's not that bad. It was an okay sort of movie--but not really faithful to Arthurian legend. And I can see why many turned on it for its ridiculous excesses. I thought it was consigned to the junkheap of history. Yet I see fans these days lauding the movie. I wonder how did it get rehabilitated in pop culture?
    Most other King Arthur films are worse - and Excalibur does have an excellent Merlin, perhaps one of the best. It also has quite the cast outside of him, similar to David Lynch's Dune. The plot may be thin, but the actors are good enough to make something watchable out of it because so many of them are top notch performers. Helen Mirren, Liam Neeson, and Patrick Stewart are all in Excalibur.

    The Clive Owen King Arthur is good from a historical fiction perspective, and I think Stellan Skarsgard is underrated as the villain. Personally I enjoy how he never raises his voice (with one exception) for the entirety of the film.

    But outside of those two we typically have musicals, low budget TV shows, really dated stuff, or schlock that doesn't capture either the story or the feel of the legends.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 10-19-2020 at 08:28 AM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

  15. #3585
    The Undead One The Chou Lives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Oh, I see what you are referring to. My comment about Italian Americans did not have to do with the real history of Columbus, but rather his embrace by the Italian Americans as a symbol of their place in America. Which was mainly based on a false narrative. And also strange that yes, Columbus was Italian from Genoa, but his voyage had nothing to do with Italy, he sailed for Spain.
    But as you laid out here with additional info about the Basques and Columbus, the statues for him have little to do with history and taking them down will not remove history, in fact, it might lead to a better understanding of the facts.
    Yeah also Columbus commuted crimes against humanity, did jail time. Became a governor of a Caribbean. Island. Did such a bad job the island revolted and he tried to escape. His son was there too and a hurricane showed up. No survivors on that boat as if God punishes him directly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •