Page 242 of 249 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246 ... LastLast
Results 3,616 to 3,630 of 3722

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    We should never take down statues or try to ban flags. They are pieces of a past who did happen and trying to forget the past is the worst thing a people can do.
    Flags and statues are not history books. If you want to keep people from forgetting the past, you're not going to do that by glorifying it which is what Confederate state and flags do.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-03-2020 at 11:49 PM.

We should never take down statues or try to ban flags. They are pieces of a past who did happen and trying to forget the past is the worst thing a people can do.
    I'd say the people who the statues and flags we're not talking about represent actually did one of the worst things a people can do, and fought to keep doing it. I'd also say there's a difference between having something at a museum and having it in a town square or flying from poles on government buildings. With Confederate or Nazi flags, even being flown/displayed by individuals knowing the pain it causes given what they represent we should heavily regulate. Not ban, but if a school/business/etc. says they're not allowed on the premises that should be their right.
    Formerly finfangfool

Statues are not about remembering history, but glorifying it - even the ones that aren't controversial. This is especially relevant when dealing with Confederate monuments, since the vast majority of them were put up for the purpose of rewriting history. And intimidation.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Incredible Member

Pigeons use statues as toilets, so the statues are better off in museums

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Depends entirely on the statues and flags and where they are. If freedom means anything, then removing these things should happen.

And no one is banning anything, so it doesn't matter.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

IMO, nothing should be destroyed as an act of vandalism, but the government has a perfect right to do what they want with a statue or flag they own (though I would prefer to keep them in a museum somewhere). If enough people disagree, then they can do something about it through legislation.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Boisterously Confused

Preserving Auschwitz in hopes of remembering what we shouldn't do is one thing. Statues to Confederate generals are something else, as is the purpose for which they were erected.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    IMO, nothing should be destroyed as an act of vandalism, but the government has a perfect right to do what they want with a statue or flag they own (though I would prefer to keep them in a museum somewhere). If enough people disagree, then they can do something about it through legislation.
    But I do have to agree with TDD here. Removing deliberately oppressive symbols is a responsibility of a civilized society not an angry mob. Of course, mobs wind up angry because civilized society becomes complacent, or even corrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    But I do have to agree with TDD here. Removing deliberately oppressive symbols is a responsibility of a civilized society not an angry mob. Of course, mobs wind up angry because civilized society becomes complacent, or even corrupt.
    That's what peaceful protest is for. If MLK and others could help end segregation by using it, comparably small potatoes like a Confederate statue shouldn't be too hard in this century.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

Although what monuments get to remain up in a city is the business of that city's residents and no one else. State level override laws encourage mob teardowns by eliminating legal avenues for removal.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

Ultimate Member

Would you say the same thing to the folks who have done everything to write history the way they want it?

Funny how some history books won't mention Lincoln wanting to ship black folks out of the USA to another country. Because he felt the races were not equal nor that no one should be forced to work for another person without compensation.

Or how some schools (mainly in Texas) had ZERO issue allowing Hispanics, Asian and any other race into their schools. Yet ONLY blacks were not allowed to be in white schools.
    Or it took a tv show to expose kids to what Black Wall Street was. Or a movie called Hidden Figures showing what black women did for NASA.
    Or This is America Charlie Brown showing WHO built the Transcontinental Railroad path. Asians who were MIA when the final photo was taken.

We almost had history book in Texas that said from 2008-2016 there was no President of the United States. Bill Clinton had no wife while in office. Helen Keller nor Black Panthers existed.

Thereís nothing special about practical effects that makes them any better than ones done via CG.

I also canít really take the complaint ďitís CG, itís fake so I canít careĒ seriously. Itís a movie, itís all fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    There’s nothing special about practical effects that makes them any better than ones done via CG.

I also can’t really take the complaint “it’s CG, it’s fake so I can’t care” seriously. It’s a movie, it’s all fake.
    I agree. I grew up on the old stuff and still love it, but I'm very happy we have CGI today. Some recent movies wouldn't have been able to be made without the latter.

I disagree. There are practical effects that have impact because real people are involved. Real sky diving sequences are just more exciting than green screen. Look at Fast and Furious. One of the sequels used a lot of CGI. It was like watching Forza on XBox. and just as boring. Even though we know they are carefully planned and filmed stunts, the real cars and drivers makes it much better.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 10-04-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The statues should be in a museum if they are really there for history. Not on public tax payer supported land. If someone wants to have a statue of Lee or a confederate flag on private land that is fine. But on public land or on a business like how the Kentucky Speedway said no to confederate flags taht is fine. if you have a problem with no flags at a Nascar event then stay home.

I love civil war history. I have several reproduction flags both Union and Confederate. But I do not display them or force any one to look at them. I used to have a firearm from the Civil War that I paid good money for. But when I got out of prison I had to get rid of it because it was in firing condition and I am a felon. That bummed me out.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

I do not mind CGI when it is done right. Like the Jurassic park movies did it Well. But a lot of these action movies just really over do it and that is bad.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.