Page 243 of 249 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247 ... LastLast
Results 3,631 to 3,645 of 3722

The issue I have with CGI isn't that it exists, but the over reliance on it. Like practical effects, CGI requires care to be put into the work or it comes off as fake. The difference is that even with bad practical effects, there is something there for actors and the crew to react to, whereas with CGI it is often all added in during post production. One person in the scene whose eyes are focused on the wrong spot, or the effect not interacting with the environment properly, and it takes the audience out of things faster than bad practical effects.

There is a line in the Deed of Paksenarrion novels where a wizard explains that the illusion of fire is more difficult than creating an actual one. Should an unforeseen wind gust make the flame flicker in the wrong direction, and the spell us effectively broken, whereas reality carries a conviction all it's own.

Basically, it is both easier to create CGI nowadays while retaining everything that makes it easy to mess up - while we live in an age with the potential for incredible CGI effects (motion capture often being the best as it eliminates much of the potential for screwups) the easy access to it exposes less skilled film crews.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

DC Comics Forum Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I disagree. There are practical effects that have impact because real people are involved. Real sky diving sequences are just more exciting than green screen. Look at Fast and Furious. One of the sequels used a lot of CGI. It was like watching Forza on XBox. and just as boring. Even though we know they are carefully planned and filmed stunts, the real cars and drivers makes it much better.
    I don't want CGI for everything, either, but sometimes it's the only way to handle a scene creatively and even cheaply.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The issue I have with CGI isn't that it exists, but the over reliance on it. Like practical effects, CGI requires care to be put into the work or it comes off as fake. The difference is that even with bad practical effects, there is something there for actors and the crew to react to, whereas with CGI it is often all added in during post production. One person in the scene whose eyes are focused on the wrong spot, or the effect not interacting with the environment properly, and it takes the audience out of things faster than bad practical effects.

There is a line in the Deed of Paksenarrion novels where a wizard explains that the illusion of fire is more difficult than creating an actual one. Should an unforeseen wind gust make the flame flicker in the wrong direction, and the spell us effectively broken, whereas reality carries a conviction all it's own.

Basically, it is both easier to create CGI nowadays while retaining everything that makes it easy to mess up - while we live in an age with the potential for incredible CGI effects (motion capture often being the best as it eliminates much of the potential for screwups) the easy access to it exposes less skilled film crews.
    It's in execution. Raiders Of The Lost Ark in contrast with Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull says it all.

Femme fatale characters are far more egregious examples of writer prudishness than simply giving female characters more modest designs.

Ultimate Member

The new Animaniacs cartoon on Hulu is scheduled to start next month. I'm preparing myself for the onslaught of social media rants about how the new version has "ruined my childhood" or has gone all "SJW".

Mighty Member

Age should play no factor in sports decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The new Animaniacs cartoon on Hulu is scheduled to start next month. I'm preparing myself for the onslaught of social media rants about how the new version has "ruined my childhood" or has gone all "SJW".
    Or you could just ignore what everyone else says.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners Thread So much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
    "Being politically incorrect shouldn't be a matter of pride. It's the last gasp of the wrong side of history." - Unknown
    "By all means, compare these s**t-heads to Nazis." - Mike Godwin referring to the protesters in Charlottesville.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Or you could just ignore what everyone else says.
    And miss out on all of the fake outrage and grifting? Perish the thought!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Femme fatale characters are far more egregious examples of writer prudishness than simply giving female characters more modest designs.
    I'm curious, and hold no real opinion, not having given it much thought before. Could you expand on your position?

Ultimate Member

The onion rings from Sonics are too sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm curious, and hold no real opinion, not having given it much thought before. Could you expand on your position?
    The femme fatale character is essentially a demonization of the sexually active woman. It basically vilifies and, in many cases, punishes female characters for being sexual. A common argument against the push to make female characters more modest in design is that such actions are prudish, sexist and sex negative but that is far more true of constantly making female villains so associated with sexuality.

This article explains it way better than I could

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/sexual...mpression=true
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-20-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Boisterously Confused

The femme fatale character is essentially a demonization of the sexually active woman. It basically villifies and, in many cases, punishes female characters for being sexual. A common argument against the push to make female characters more modest in design is that such actions are prudish, sexist and sex negative but that is far more true of constantly making female villains so associated with sexuality.

You did pretty well on your own. Thanks.

Mighty Member

I, personally, think everybody deserves respect until they don’t. Respect isn’t earned, disrespect is.

Astonishing Member

The femme fatale character is essentially a demonization of the sexually active woman. It basically villifies and, in many cases, punishes female characters for being sexual. A common argument against the push to make female characters more modest in design is that such actions are prudish, sexist and sex negative but that is far more true of constantly making female villains so associated with sexuality.

I agree: it’s basically an attempt to manipulate the Madonna-Whore complex for dramatic tension.

In comics, the way that “Evil outfits” pretty much always involve greater sexual option for girls ties perfectly into it. Peter David’s quietest Brick Joke in Young Justice, where Arrowette mentions fear that she’ll go evil, only to get freaked out at the idea that will mean she’ll also suddenly get cleavage... only for the final arcs of the book to feature “Dark Arrowette” with, you guessed it, cleavage.

...I think I’m allowed to see that as clever parody on his part, but I would have no problem admitting I’m wrong.
    Franchise Wars Podcast and YouTube Host.
    TITANS pilot Recap, Reaction, and Review video! https://youtu.be/l1tKBTUtiyM
    The Force Awakens vs The Last Jedi https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=408109126
    Teen Titans (03) vs Teen Titans Go! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I agree: it’s basically an attempt to manipulate the Madonna-Whore complex for dramatic tension.

In comics, the way that “Evil outfits” pretty much always involve greater sexual option for girls ties perfectly into it. Peter David’s quietest Brick Joke in Young Justice, where Arrowette mentions fear that she’ll go evil, only to get freaked out at the idea that will mean she’ll also suddenly get cleavage... only for the final arcs of the book to feature “Dark Arrowette” with, you guessed it, cleavage.

...I think I’m allowed to see that as clever parody on his part, but I would have no problem admitting I’m wrong.
    Meh, I'm not going to say the "evil = scantily clad" thing does not have some merit, but you know really, consider the genre. It's not like comics have traditionally needed to have a female character be evil, to put her in a skimpy outfit. Any excuse or none, often enough.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine