Page 257 of 441 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261267307357 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 6609
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Posting on the C.B.R. message board is so frustrating. Nine times out of ten, my posts get zero response. However, if I say something daft, that's the post that's most likely to get a response (usually posters pointing out how wrong I am). I can spend a month researching a subject, getting all my facts right, doing several drafts--and when I finally post it, nothing. Not even a thumbs up. Or I can spend two minutes, with zero effort, pulling something out of my butt--and that will get a flurry of responses on how stupid I was to post such idiocy.

The thing is all the reward is in posting the wrong junk--that's what gets attention. So why even bother doing any research, working on my grammar, spelling and syntax, thinking about the points I want to make, when it's all going to sink like a lead balloon? Better to say the stupid stuff.
    YMMV, but that seems to be the way of almost all social media these days.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    YMMV, but that seems to be the way of almost all social media these days.
    Yeah, but this is about the only place left that I bother to post. It's so bad everywhere else, I'd rather not have the grief.

Boisterously Confused

Yeah, but this is about the only place left that I bother to post. It's so bad everywhere else, I'd rather not have the grief.
    There's a lot of stuff that I post that I think insightful and worthy of reply, only to hear crickets. Now, admittedly, I'm probably often a lot less insightful than I'd like to believe (and a butt-ton less funny). At least some of the time, I suspect its a matter of somebody reading it, thinking, "huh, interesting point," and moving on with nothing to add.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There's a lot of stuff that I post that I think insightful and worthy of reply, only to hear crickets. Now, admittedly, I'm probably often a lot less insightful than I'd like to believe (and a butt-ton less funny). At least some of the time, I suspect its a matter of somebody reading it, thinking, "huh, interesting point," and moving on with nothing to add.
    The latter is what I assume regarding my posts, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Posting on the C.B.R. message board is so frustrating. Nine times out of ten, my posts get zero response. However, if I say something daft, that's the post that's most likely to get a response (usually posters pointing out how wrong I am). I can spend a month researching a subject, getting all my facts right, doing several drafts--and when I finally post it, nothing. Not even a thumbs up. Or I can spend two minutes, with zero effort, pulling something out of my butt--and that will get a flurry of responses on how stupid I was to post such idiocy.

The thing is all the reward is in posting the wrong junk--that's what gets attention. So why even bother doing any research, working on my grammar, spelling and syntax, thinking about the points I want to make, when it's all going to sink like a lead balloon? Better to say the stupid stuff.
    Kind of why I wish there was just a "thumbs up" or "like" button? Because 95% of my interaction is lurking, including reading a post and thinking it's interesting, maybe even starting to respond, then going, "Nah..." If there was just a button you could click, I could at least let someone know I read and appreciated what they wrote, even if I'm too socially averse to respond in an in-depth way.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Kind of why I wish there was just a "thumbs up" or "like" button? Because 95% of my interaction is lurking, including reading a post and thinking it's interesting, maybe even starting to respond, then going, "Nah..." If there was just a button you could click, I could at least let someone know I read and appreciated what they wrote, even if I'm too socially averse to respond in an in-depth way.
    If you add a like button though, then the entire forum just devolves into people posting silly clickbait to try and farm likes. As much as we like to make fun of the idea of "internet points," people do crave that kind of validation and will go to whatever lengths to get them. This is why social media has become such an echo chamber these days, when everything centers around engagement metrics then it's much easier to just repeat what's popular than to have to engage in any kind of critical thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    If you add a like button though, then the entire forum just devolves into people posting silly clickbait to try and farm likes. As much as we like to make fun of the idea of "internet points," people do crave that kind of validation and will go to whatever lengths to get them. This is why social media has become such an echo chamber these days, when everything centers around engagement metrics then it's much easier to just repeat what's popular than to have to engage in any kind of critical thinking.
    That is not my experience on other forums with like buttons. The discussions are just as diverse and interesting as here. I fully support a like button on CBR.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I try to let people know if I support their thoughts.
    Basically, a "well said" or "I agree".
    I should probably do it more often though. From the sound of it people want that sort of feedback.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I try to let people know if I support their thoughts.
    Basically, a "well said" or "I agree".
    I should probably do it more often though. From the sound of it people want that sort of feedback.
    That is why a like button would be useful. Especially here with the 10 character minimum.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

It probably wouldn't hurt, if it makes sense at that time, to post your responses in reply to another's post instead of a standalone post. Less likely to be ignore that way, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

To me the problem here seems to be an aversion to interaction because people feel their input or their thoughts on a subject aren’t good enough. So I think the issue is that, being that we’re online, we expect arguments to arise when people disagree or when somebody thinks somebody else purposely posted misinformation. People should be open to sharing information instead of just getting mad at somebody who may not have had all of it.

Is America winning or losing the war on drugs? Neither. I believe President Reagan must have envisioned a drug-free America when he coined the phrase "war on drugs".
    The federal government spent hundreds of millions of dollars every year investigating, arresting and prosecuting drug dealers and busting drug rings. Despite all this effort by the authorities, Americans are still buying and using drugs. You can stop the supply but you can't stop the demand. A FBI agent who was devoted to investigating and arresting heroin dealers became a heroin addict.

https://livengrin.org/fbi-agent-arre...ts-became-one/

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Is America winning or losing the war on drugs? Neither. I believe President Reagan must have envisioned a drug-free America when he coined the phrase "war on drugs".
    The federal government spent hundreds of millions of dollars every year investigating, arresting and prosecuting drug dealers and busting drug rings. Despite all this effort by the authorities, Americans are still buying and using drugs. You can stop the supply but you can't stop the demand. A FBI agent who was devoted to investigating and arresting heroin dealers became a heroin addict.

https://livengrin.org/fbi-agent-arre...ts-became-one/
    Have you read Power of the Dog? If not its a crime novel done with a lot of research by Don Winslow and I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the war on drugs

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Working my way through FMA: Brotherhood and I really hope Winry doesn’t become a love interest. She’s far more compelling as what she is, and the story doesn’t really need it.
    Boy, do I have bad news for you...

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Boy, do I have bad news for you...
    NO! I just screamed no so many times I lost my original voice and had to get a new one. I refuse to acknowledge this.