Page 259 of 441 FirstFirst ... 159209249255256257258259260261262263269309359 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,885 of 6609

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    You're specifying a particular group and I agree, those you mention are not for keeping undocumented workers in low-paying unpopular jobs. However, I have seem farmers and those in similar circumstances speak against cracking down on illegal immigration as those workers support their business. This was on one of the major non cable American networks (ABC, CBS, NBC). It's a distinction that isn't often made clear.

We'll have to see what Marty Walsh does as Secretary of Labor.
    I specified those groups because anya said "The side that usually advocate for higher wages and ‘living wages’, ". There are others who love low wages for everyone, and they threaten that without cheap labor, prices will rise uncontrolably.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I specified those groups because anya said "The side that usually advocate for higher wages and ‘living wages’, ". There are others who love low wages for everyone, and they threaten that without cheap labor, prices will rise uncontrolably.
    I thought that was what you and Anya had said. My point was to specify that the people Anya was taking about do exist and in situations where confusion can occur.

I thought that was what you and Anya had said. My point was to specify that the people Anya was taking about do exist and in situations where confusion can occur.
    I don't think there are people who are pro-labor, for an increase in minimum wage, and promote a living wage, who also advocate for undocumented workers being paid slave wages. I was asking anya to show examples of these people.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Well, the person who just used the cloven bundy quote to say why more immigration is great. I know that bundy is a right wing looney, but the person using that to bolster their pro-immigration posts didn’t sound like a right winger.

Also my former boss from like two jobs ago, was very proud liberal and hired a lot of seasonal workers for his business. He went off on a tirade one day about how racist the republicans were because they republicans in the senate had blocked some bill Obama was trying to pass, I don’t remember the exact one. And because of that, it was going to make it harder for him to cheaper migrant labor. He had come up with a whole plan to cut his labor costs by hiring migrant labor for seasonal work and a lot of his full maintaince/construction positions. (Because he also always acted like trades were unskilled labor.) Also anyone who says we need more migrant labor to do jobs Americans just won’t do, because if those jobs paid anything close to a ‘living wage’ there be heck of a lot more Americans willing to do them.

Whoever quoted Bundy is NOT a liberal.
    I have no doubt you can scour the landscape and find someone like your boss who leaned liberal in some things and still was an ass about immigration. But your original post sounded like there are many pro-labor liberals who spout that. In fact what you posted at the end is what 99.9% of liberals say about cheap immigration labor.
    For a decade it is conservatives and the Republicans who have stopped both immigration reform and advances to a living wage.
    You specifically said "The side that". One or two people do not make "the side" This is a strawman. The side that advocates for labor does not want cheap immigration labor.

I don't think people for humane immigration say that at all. Can you site a pro-labor, liberal source that says we need undocumented workers making below minimum wage, or that immigrants shouldn't also get $15 an hour?
    Also, I think that most for most people the low wage argument is not an endorsement of those practices, but to dismiss the standard "immigrants are coming in and taking our jobs" argument.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Well, the person who just used the cloven bundy quote to say why more immigration is great. I know that bundy is a right wing looney, but the person using that to bolster their pro-immigration posts didn’t sound like a right winger.

Also my former boss from like two jobs ago, was very proud liberal and hired a lot of seasonal workers for his business. He went off on a tirade one day about how racist the republicans were because they republicans in the senate had blocked some bill Obama was trying to pass, I don’t remember the exact one. And because of that, it was going to make it harder for him to cheaper migrant labor. He had come up with a whole plan to cut his labor costs by hiring migrant labor for seasonal work and a lot of his full maintaince/construction positions. (Because he also always acted like trades were unskilled labor.) Also anyone who says we need more migrant labor to do jobs Americans just won’t do, because if those jobs paid anything close to a ‘living wage’ there be heck of a lot more Americans willing to do them.
    You'd have to pay most Americans a hell of a lot more than a living wage to be out in the sun and pick fruit all day, in fact I would wager that the vast majority of the country would refuse to do the kind of work that immigrants do at any wage. In fact, the only reason ANYONE is willing to do that is because of this implicit promise that after a lifetime of toiling away without complaint, your children will be able to integrate into mainstream America and can leave all the hard physical labor to future waves of immigrants. This has always been the essence of the American Dream, and the inherently Ponzi-like nature of it sort of makes solving the immigration issue virtually intractable.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 03-25-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm about 95% certain Scrooge McDuck is a duck.
    wait he's not a bear?
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

BANNED

I'd imagine the use of immigrants as cheap labor was promoted back in the day by those on the left to appeal to the pocket books of some on the right, as a way to get their foot in the door. The preferred plan would be an easier legal path to citizenship with full rights and at least the minimum wage. And it's worked so well that it's become one of those unspoken divides between the average Republican voter and those in control of the Party.

I don't think there are people who are pro-labor, for an increase in minimum wage, and promote a living wage, who also advocate for undocumented workers being paid slave wages. I was asking anya to show examples of these people.
    I wasn't clear. There are people who do advocate that. They are not liberal, pro-labor, but the confusion (IMHO) can be explained.

I wasn't clear. There are people who do advocate that. They are not liberal, pro-labor, but the confusion (IMHO) can be explained.
    Got you. But will anya understand they were confused or stick with "their boss once..."?

Mighty Member

Detective Elliot Stabler is actually JUDAH ZACHERY!

It's a trans goose.

Astonishing Member

I don't care that Gyro Gearloose is supposed to be a chicken. I say he looks more nearly like a crane or an egret. The feathered residents of Duckburg should be waterfowl.

Astonishing Member

I've really begun to hate villains who obsess over heroes too much. There's a reason why writers have had their villains say that revenge is a waste of time. The villain is so focused on ruining the heroes' lives that they come off more pathetic than threatening.