Page 272 of 440 FirstFirst ... 172222262268269270271272273274275276282322372 ... LastLast
Results 4,066 to 4,080 of 6586
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Most of the modern superhero shows suck because they're just padded out movies. What works for a movie really doesn't work for a TV show. The CW and MCU tv shows are especially infamous of this.
    Thank you, I think the 22-24 season episode arc is a thing of the past when I used to have a DVR and record episodes to view later it was a slog to skim through the CW superhero shows, lots of filler and the only episodes worth keeping an eye on was during TV sweeps month (if that is a thing still).

That is why shorter 8-10 episode seasons for streaming are better, storylines are more focused and condensed without unnecessary boring plots.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Thank you, I think the 22-24 season episode arc is a thing of the past when I used to have a DVR and record episodes to view later it was a slog to skim through the CW superhero shows, lots of filler and the only episodes worth keeping an eye on was during TV sweeps month (if that is a thing still).

That is why shorter 8-10 episode seasons for streaming are better, storylines are more focused and condensed without unnecessary boring plots.
    Funny you say that. I was actually hoping for more episodic shows. The superhero formula really doesn't need a big overarching villain.

Having 8-10 episodes a season would just encourage the problem I'm talking about.

Astonishing Member

I find it hard to criticize authors for using heavy-handed metaphors and morals when it's continuously proven that they're absolutely necessary.

Funny you say that. I was actually hoping for more episodic shows. The superhero formula really doesn't need a big overarching villain.

Having 8-10 episodes a season would just encourage the problem I'm talking about.
    In fairness, you can't do much, if any padding in an 8 to 10 episode season.

Extraordinary Member

I find it hard to criticize authors for using heavy-handed metaphors and morals when it's continuously proven that they're absolutely necessary.
    I think it’s either just fine or an even a dramatic asset as long as the writer does so intelligently, and doesn’t betray some hypocrisy on their part.

For instance, Black Panther (Movie) and Avatar: The Last Airbender incorporate a lot of metaphors and morals, but do so astoundingly well, making them both forces for good in the real world *and* incredibly resonant because they embrace truths about the human condition with some bravery and integrity. In contrast, Star Wars: The Last a Jedi, is ostensibly trying to be anti-elitist, feminist and pro-diversity... but because of the film’s messed up priorities and context as a sequel to the much more inclusive and egalitarian TFA, ends up being somewhat hypocritically sexist, racist, and elitist.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In fairness, you can't do much, if any padding in an 8 to 10 episode season.
    An 8-10 episode season is nothing but padding because often times, it's one just one storyline. The story arc'll just be the heroes constantly failing until the final episode. You don't need to take 8 episodes just to showcase the heroes losing.

It's interesting to me how cartoons can stand on their own two legs for so long without any unnecessary relationship stuff, but somehow live action shows can't pull off the same thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It's interesting to me how cartoons can stand on their own two legs for so long without any unnecessary relationship stuff, but somehow live action shows can't pull off the same thing.
    2 reasons:

1. Cartoons are mostly stereotyped as being for kids, so a full-blown romance isn't expected.

2. It's because it's easier to visualize sex with a live-action person than with a cartoon.

2. It's because it's easier to visualize sex with a live-action person than with a cartoon.
    Isn't there an entire industry in Japan that would disagree with this?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

1. Cartoons are mostly stereotyped as being for kids, so a full-blown romance isn't expected.
    Okay let me amend it then. Cartoons can go so much longer without even a hint of romance than live action can.

Mighty Member

Mmm hmm hm. Heh.

Most of the modern superhero shows suck because they're just padded out movies. What works for a movie really doesn't work for a TV show. The CW and MCU tv shows are especially infamous of this.
    Certainly, you don't mean BATWOMAN!

BATWOMAN is the most important & entertaining of all the CW shows. I mean sure it's ratings are not soaring high, but it's got good fundamentals that's much more fun to watch.

No can dunk....jpg

Retired

How well off was Jack Kirby when he died? For all the work he did over his lifetime, it doesn't seem like he ever got rich from it. I don't know if this is just his bad luck or what. All the ventures he had going on with Joe Simon in the 1940s and 1950s, you would think they would have both made a fortune from all that work, but they went broke. And then his dispute at National with Jack Schiff, he lost more money. And then at Marvel, he didn't get paid his due for all the work he did there. It just seems like, for all his talent, he could never catch a break.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Social media has made manipulating people harder.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Social media has made manipulating people harder.
    That's certainly a controversial take, with the mainstreaming of bug nuts conspiracy.....I hesitate to call them theories, as a theory is at least an educated guess. Unless it's theory as a scientist uses it, when then it's pretty much a fact, we just don't know how it works or there's some corner case exception that can't be explained yet. Is evolution "just a theory?" Well, so is gravity but those people aren't lining up to disprove it by jumping off tall buildings.

But enough of the side rant. The proliferation of conspiracy fantasies makes me think that social media has made it easier to manipulate most people, with just a few going in the opposite direction.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 05-06-2021 at 07:26 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.