Page 276 of 440 FirstFirst ... 176226266272273274275276277278279280286326376 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,140 of 6586
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The whole point of music for me is that I believe it should make you feel something when you listen to it. If you feel anger, sadness, or joy at the end of the song you know it was good and the artist did their job.
    Some artists take themselves way to seriously. They think they are next to god because they recorded an album. That their music is the purest form that reinvented music.

Some artists dont feel that way. They just want you to enjoy their music. Take people like Weird Al or Little Big just want to make people smile. They know their music is goofy. They do work hard at it Weird Al may be one of the hardest working people in music just by the sheer amount of what he has and does do. but they dont take themselves as the biggest thing in music. They know it is silly and fun and makes people smile.

So to me artists like Weird Al and little Big are truly the purest artists out there.
    It’s the old breakdown between Art To Entertain Others vs Art To Express Oneself.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

The '90s were a more diverse decade than modern times when it comes to pop culture.

1. In music you had a wide variety of musical genres thriving, while today most genres that arent pop or hip-hop have been relegated to niche status.

2. in Tv you had an explosion of cable channels, offering a variety of niche programming for the first time. Again offering a little bit of everything for everybody without completely isolating everyone into clicks(something I feel became an issue in later more internet-dominated decades.)

3. Movies were also very diverse, look at the top-grossing movies of each year of the '90s it isn't dominated by one genre.
    1990: Home Alone (1990)
    1991: Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    1992: Aladdin (1992)
    1993: Jurassic Park (1993)
    1994: The Lion King (1994)
    1995: Toy Story (1995)
    1996: Independence Day (1996)
    1997: Titanic (1997)
    1998: Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    1999: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

and this isn't even talking about indie movies that were also booming in this decade.

4. In comics you had the independent boom double whammy of Image and Vertigo, which ultimately added a lot of variety to the comic bookshelves.

5. Cartoons also boomed and blossomed in the 90's. And cartoons of all kinds were popular.

to me only the 70's rival the 90's

BANNED

I'd disagree mathew101281. I'd say entertainment is so diverse and so many options are available that it's rare there's a shared thing for most of us to talk about. GoT, Disney hero movies, a handful of other things. Other than that it's a choose-your-own-adventure of entertainment out there. I agree the rise of the internet in the 90s did make this possible, as did cable TV to an extent, but it's only gotten more diverse and will continue to.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It’s the old breakdown between Art To Entertain Others vs Art To Express Oneself.
    Also, those selling a product and those producing an art.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The '90s were a more diverse decade than modern times when it comes to pop culture.

1. In music you had a wide variety of musical genres thriving, while today most genres that arent pop or hip-hop have been relegated to niche status.

2. in Tv you had an explosion of cable channels, offering a variety of niche programming for the first time. Again offering a little bit of everything for everybody without completely isolating everyone into clicks(something I feel became an issue in later more internet-dominated decades.)

3. Movies were also very diverse, look at the top-grossing movies of each year of the '90s it isn't dominated by one genre.
    1990: Home Alone (1990)
    1991: Beauty and the Beast (1991)
    1992: Aladdin (1992)
    1993: Jurassic Park (1993)
    1994: The Lion King (1994)
    1995: Toy Story (1995)
    1996: Independence Day (1996)
    1997: Titanic (1997)
    1998: Saving Private Ryan (1998)
    1999: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

and this isn't even talking about indie movies that were also booming in this decade.

4. In comics you had the independent boom double whammy of Image and Vertigo, which ultimately added a lot of variety to the comic bookshelves.

5. Cartoons also boomed and blossomed in the 90's. And cartoons of all kinds were popular.

to me only the 70's rival the 90's
    I agree. Discovery, the History Channel, A&E, and SyFy were all at their best. Comics at the Big Two (on the whole, and excluding Vertigo) weren't as good, but other comics flourished.

Mighty Member

“Genetic/generational trauma” is ultimately a half-assed pseudoscience that sounds like something a deluded Assassin’s Creed fan made up.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 05-19-2021 at 09:57 AM.

I don’t think it’s possible for something to age badly, except probably anything from 1995

I kind of don't like Hamilton.

I mean, I get why it's popular, why so many people like it. It's a good story, has some good songs, performances are good. I am not saying that it's bad; just that I don't like it.

I'm just kind of put off at the whole concept of a musical about the Founding Fathers using hip-hop and POC performers. I get why Hamilton as portrayed in the musical is an inspiring character, and maybe the real life man should be, for some people.

I guess my problem is feeling like ... the musical kind of obscures the racial reality that was going on at the time. Like, I thought at one point they were actually going to talk about the 3/5 compromise ... but nope, just skipped right over that. I mean, I guess I'm saying, it's fine as far as it goes, if you'd rather tell a story about the founding of the country, without talking about slavery and race. You can do that, but when you do it with a POC cast and hip-hop music ... yeah, again, just not a fan.

Not like I want to give anybody a hard time about liking it though. I only watched after a friend told me she loved it ... not gonna go yell at her and say that she shouldn't. Like I said, I'd even agree it's well done. Just not something I'm really digging, personally.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

I mean, I get why it's popular, why so many people like it. It's a good story, has some good songs, performances are good. I am not saying that it's bad; just that I don't like it.

I'm just kind of put off at the whole concept of a musical about the Founding Fathers using hip-hop and POC performers. I get why Hamilton as portrayed in the musical is an inspiring character, and maybe the real life man should be, for some people.

I guess my problem is feeling like ... the musical kind of obscures the racial reality that was going on at the time. Like, I thought at one point they were actually going to talk about the 3/5 compromise ... but nope, just skipped right over that. I mean, I guess I'm saying, it's fine as far as it goes, if you'd rather tell a story about the founding of the country, without talking about slavery and race. You can do that, but when you do it with a POC cast and hip-hop music ... yeah, again, just not a fan.

Not like I want to give anybody a hard time about liking it though. I only watched after a friend told me she loved it ... not gonna go yell at her and say that she shouldn't. Like I said, I'd even agree it's well done. Just not something I'm really digging, personally.
    Alexander Hamilton was against slavery, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post

You are not the only one who feels this way. I did like it, but I have seen that it is an ongoing discussion on whether it empowers POC or obscures the reality of that time.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Alexander Hamilton was against slavery, FWIW.
    There is no record he was an abolitionist, he did not oppose his wife's family being slave owners. And there is this.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...ner-180976260/
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There is no record he was an abolitionist, he did not oppose his wife's family being slave owners. And there is this.

Page not Found?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

He was a founding member of the New York Manumission Society, so that sounds like an abolitionist to me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    He was a founding member of the New York Manumission Society, so that sounds like an abolitionist to me.
    If Wikipedia is a reliable source, I would say too that he was an abolitionist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexan...ton#On_slavery

At a time when most white leaders doubted the capacity of blacks, Hamilton believed slavery was morally wrong and wrote that "their natural faculties are as good as ours."
    I have the impression that he has evolved on this subject during his life.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I'll try again.
    New Research Suggests Alexander Hamilton Was a Slave Owner

If you Google "Smithsonian Hamilton slaves". it should be there.