Page 278 of 440 FirstFirst ... 178228268274275276277278279280281282288328378 ... LastLast
Results 4,156 to 4,170 of 6596
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    True, but they were far and away fewer back then. The odds are most of us on this site wouldn't have had the same eact views on slavery and people of African descent had we been born in the 18th century. Same exact people, but just a different time and place.
    One of the creepier things to be aware of was that there was actually a substantial difference in how much *more* racist and pro-slavery the South became after the cotton gin was created; partially because seeing it get ramped up is terrifying, but also because it kind of exposes how much the North didn’t really get less racist, but simply stayed the same because there weren’t as much economic bonuses in slavery for them.

It’s a terrifying time to think about because of how much more radicalization and increased fanaticism you’d see seeping in - seeing people making the choice to become more racist and to tell themselves slavery was “right.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    True, but they were far and away fewer back then. The odds are most of us on this site wouldn't have had the same eact views on slavery and people of African descent had we been born in the 188th century. Same exact people, but just a different time and place.
    Eh, I really don't mean to come at you in any way personally, but I really feel like that's the line of apologist crap we've been sold our whole lives, and I think it's just dishonest garbage meant to excuse our ancestors for horrific evils.

Sure, it's impossible that I could have the exact same views on race hundreds of years ago, that I have today. That's a given. I grew up with an education and a view on history that I could not have, in the 1700s. Things I can look back on and condemn had not happened yet, so of course someone from back then can't see things the same. I grant this, but I also think it's a pointless argument to get engaged with.

The fact of the matter is that you don't need another human being to look just like you or speak the same language as you, to recognize they are human. I do not grant this as being any less true 300 or 400 years ago. A person can and will indicate to you when they are hurt, when they do not want to do something, or for you to do something to them. If you choose to ignore what they are communicating to you, you are wrong.

We are sold the idea that humans of European descent didn't used to be able to tell that humans of African descent were human. Look, if you can't tell that another person is a human? You are a monster. True today, true hundreds of years ago. No apologizing for that.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

BANNED

There's no apologizing for it, but there's also no disputing that it happens all of the time all over the world to this day. Not slavery specifically (though human trafficking, especially of children for sexual purposes, is arguably as bad), but dehumanization and brutalization of the "other". Whether it's Israelis and terrorist groups firing at one another, African warlords forcing children to kill their parents to indoctrinate them into a life of servitude and killing, the Chinese government rounding up, sterilizing, and forcing labor from Uighurs, or the US killing over a million people in the Middle East in pursuit of a couple of dozen individuals and phantom weapons of mass destruction and displacing millions more this happens all of the time. Everywhere, to some extent or another.

The horror of slavery, or the Holocaust, or the millions lost to famine and poor decisions by Communist governments in the 20th century isn't that they were special or unique to their cultures. It's that they're just large scale examples of what all of humanity is capable of at any given moment under the right circumstances. That's not unique to any race (as easy as it is for some to believe Whitey is the devil), culture, or time. And people don't get there thinking they're the monster. They find ways to believe those "others" are the monsters. They strip away their humanity in their own minds and that's what allows them to do the things they do to them.

I see less extreme examples all of the time when talking about everything from people of certain countries/cultures/races to different political parties. It's easy to label the other person as inherently "wrong" or "evil" or "monsters". But once you do, it's a lot easier not to see them as what they really are. A flawed human being (like you). Everyone has blind spots and everyone could do better trying to empathize with others. Some need more work than others. But we should be careful we don't end up going down the same path, even if we believe our intent is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Cdprojekt sure managed to hype that man
    I had no idea what that was, so I looked it up.....I think you're talking about something else. Something that's entirely your own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    There's no apologizing for it, but there's also no disputing that it happens all of the time all over the world to this day. Not slavery specifically (though human trafficking, especially of children for sexual purposes, is arguably as bad), but dehumanization and brutalization of the "other". Whether it's Israelis and terrorist groups firing at one another, African warlords forcing children to kill their parents to indoctrinate them into a life of servitude and killing, the Chinese government rounding up, sterilizing, and forcing labor from Uighurs, or the US killing over a million people in the Middle East in pursuit of a couple of dozen individuals and phantom weapons of mass destruction and displacing millions more this happens all of the time. Everywhere, to some extent or another.

The horror of slavery, or the Holocaust, or the millions lost to famine and poor decisions by Communist governments in the 20th century isn't that they were special or unique to their cultures. It's that they're just large scale examples of what all of humanity is capable of at any given moment under the right circumstances. That's not unique to any race (as easy as it is for some to believe Whitey is the devil), culture, or time. And people don't get there thinking they're the monster. They find ways to believe those "others" are the monsters. They strip away their humanity in their own minds and that's what allows them to do the things they do to them.

I see less extreme examples all of the time when talking about everything from people of certain countries/cultures/races to different political parties. It's easy to label the other person as inherently "wrong" or "evil" or "monsters". But once you do, it's a lot easier not to see them as what they really are. A flawed human being (like you). Everyone has blind spots and everyone could do better trying to empathize with others. Some need more work than others. But we should be careful we don't end up going down the same path, even if we believe our intent is good.
    Okay. Sorry I condemned the founding fathers for being okay with slavery. They are inspiring heroes.

Because lots of people do bad things, and if I say those things are bad, I'm the one who is really bad. Apparently.

Edit: You know what, let's drop the subject, can we? Remember, this all started because I said I didn't like the musical Hamilton. And I still have songs from the damn thing stuck in my head, so whatever, really.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

BANNED

I'll drop, just wanted to clarify my point(s). 1. Nothing wrong with calling out bad behavior. That's a good and necessary thing. Problem is when you see it as outside of the spectrum of human behavior and label them as "monsters". I might agree emotionally, but I'm more interested in figuring out how they got to the mindset that things like rape as a weapon of war or slavery are acceptable examples of behavior than placing myself above them morally.

2. Wasn't saying you (or anyone else) were "bad" for assigning labels (well-deserved or no), just to be careful as I believe that's step one to the road that led other flawed human beings to do the things we're calling out.

Astonishing Member

I hate it when cast ensembles have too much infighting. It's hard for me to believe that these people actually care about each other when every encounter they have with each other is mostly them yelling at each other.

That was arguably my biggest gripe about the MCU and most CW shows. Their camaraderie is mostly "Tell, Don't Show".

Writers usually use this to sell the message "while you won't always like or agree with people, you can still tolerate them", but really it comes off as "a common goal isn't worth working with other people."

Idc what anyone says. Leather coats and sunglasses is a cool outfit.

Any worker who is fooled by undercover boss needs to be fired from their job just on the grounds of being dumb as a rock. No way a camera crew is following some dude around while he competes for a job as head cook at Mcdonalds.

Any grown man over the age of 30 with a Mohawk needs to be kicked in the Balls every time he dares leave the house with that dumbassery.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Any worker who is fooled by undercover boss needs to be fired from their job just on the grounds of being dumb as a rock. No way a camera crew is following some dude around while he competes for a job as head cook at Mcdonalds.

Any grown man over the age of 30 with a Mohawk needs to be kicked in the Balls every time he dares leave the house with that dumbassery.
    True. Any executive surprised by his discoveries on Undercover Boss also needs to be fired. Figure Out How It Works And Manage It You Entitled Dipshit!

I actually find improv to be underrated.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Masters of improv either a) have such a command of comic timing and audience awareness they can land jokes and gags better than practiced stand-up comedians, or b) are so in tune with their character’s dramatic potential and core characteristics they can improv a script by going off of it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Even novice improv performers have something unique to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Improve done right can be one of the greatest funnest things to watch. But you get someone who does not know what they are doing and it is painful. For every great improve group there are 6 mediocre to bad groups.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Improve done right can be one of the greatest funnest things to watch. But you get someone who does not know what they are doing and it is painful. For every great improve group there are 6 mediocre to bad groups.
    Going by Sturgeon's law, this is actually an above average ratio.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?