Page 289 of 440 FirstFirst ... 189239279285286287288289290291292293299339389 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,335 of 6600
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

We have too many entertainment choices as a society, and it’s making us less creative, and dividing us culturally and politically.

Entertainment is not even close to the top reasons why cultural and political divisions exist.

As for having too many entertainment choices making us less creative, I don't even know how anyone could arrive at such a conclusion.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Entertainment is not even close to the top reasons why cultural and political divisions exist.

As for having too many entertainment choices making us less creative, I don't even know how anyone could arrive at such a conclusion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overch...Future%20Shock.

BANNED

I get the appeal of everyone knowing who's singing in the Weekly Top 40, what was on the 3 channels you had to choose from, or or who was starring in the 3 movies available at the local theater. It's nice to share things, and make references everyone gets. Those society-wide shared bits of culture are few and far between these days. That said, most of what you had back in those days was garbage. And while most of what comes out today is also garbage, there's so much more of it that you not only can find lots of good stuff hidden in the pile but you don't even have to search very hard if you know like-minded people who are going to want to tell you about the good stuff (at least to your minds).

If anything I imagine I'll never have time to watch all of the movies/TV I would enjoy if given the chance, or read all of the books/comics, or listen to all of the music, or enjoy the food, etc. That's a good thing. And when you have all of those options you're bound to have variations and combinations and experimentations on those choices. Again, it was cool when you heard a mix tape or saw a videotaped show or movie that a friend of a friend had that you'd never otherwise experience, or found a book, or visited a restaurant, etc. and had a unique(ish) experience. But it's so much better having those options at your fingertips, in my opinion.

I would say we have too many realities to choose from, and that is dividing us culturally and politically. But I don't know the answer to that.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    ...That said, most of what you had back in those days was garbage. And while most of what comes out today is also garbage...
    Others may see it differently.

Pretty tired of people claiming absolutely everything under the sun is a plot hole or only happened because of plot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Others may see it differently.
    Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Pretty tired of people claiming absolutely everything under the sun is a plot hole or only happened because of plot.
    I guess I'd need examples, but I would think it either fits into a plot or it doesn't. Are you referring to characters having "plot armor"? I will say it makes my eyes gloss over when a main character in a movie/TV show is in some ridiculously dangerous situation you know they'll get through just fine. One example would be the Black Widows falling out of a helicopter in the recent movie.

At no point was there any drama or high stakes in that fall, it was simply a shot that was supposed to look pretty or pop in 3D. But the intent was to make you believe that at any point a helicopter's blades might sweep through one of them, or they might not get a chute open, or what have you. It's an outgrowth of similar action scenes going back decades, building to be more and more over the top as time goes on and being so far removed from being believable that it's hard to wrap your head around the fact that the original intent was probably supposed to be showing them in some kind of danger.

Some directors/writers will throw in things that have nothing to do with the plot, but most audiences aren't fans of that and get easily confused if things don't fit in neat boxes or add to the narrative so it's frowned upon at best. Usually something you see when someone either has the clout to do what they want (Tarantino, Wes Anderson) or there are little to no expectations and they have freedom because of that. What are some examples of what you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    You mean, the conspiracy seekers? Everyone loves a good story.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I guess I'd need examples, but I would think it either fits into a plot or it doesn't.
    Basically anything. If the author included it, then it probably fits the plot. Of course, as you said, somethings have to happen, like Ash winning literally every battle, but aside from those things.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Disney should be fined 800 million dollars for utter false advertising since they hugely lied for months with the marketing that the real Mandarin is the main super villain in the terrible sequel Iron Man 3.
    A huge lie because Iron Man 3 showed the real Mandarin isn’t in the movie because a fake Mandarin is a lawn being used by the main super villain.

The whole it’s a twist because a fake Mandarin is in the movie not the real Mandarin is a huge lameass excuse for the irrefutable deliberate lying with false advertising.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    Disney should be fined 800 million dollars for utter false advertising since they hugely lied for months with the marketing that the real Mandarin is the main super villain in the terrible sequel Iron Man 3.
    A huge lie because Iron Man 3 showed the real Mandarin isn’t in the movie because a fake Mandarin is a lawn being used by the main super villain.

The whole it’s a twist because a fake Mandarin is in the movie not the real Mandarin is a huge lameass excuse for the irrefutable deliberate lying with false advertising.
    But it is a twist. This is like claiming that every mystery, detective, or cop show with a red herring is false advertising. False advertising would have been calling the movie "Iron Man" but when you watched it, the star was Martian Manhunter or something.

BANNED

I'd imagine they wouldn't be fined because the movie-going public doesn't give a damn about the character, or either of the awful Iron Man sequels, let alone whether he was the "real version" of a character they didn't care about in the first place. Iron Man is a lot like Wonder Woman in that they have truly awful and uninteresting villains, and to use one that's clearly based on old-timey racist stereotypes of "inscrutable orientals" was probably a bad idea in the first place. But again, what was the option? Break out the Unicorn or the Melter? Maybe see if Cobalt Man or the Living Laser were free? I say it again (to get back to controversial opinions) Iron Man is a C-lister at best, and couldn't carry a movie if it were anyone other than RDJr. They're lucky the man was born to play the role.

I'd imagine they wouldn't be fined because the movie-going public doesn't give a damn about the character, or either of the awful Iron Man sequels, let alone whether he was the "real version" of a character they didn't care about in the first place. Iron Man is a lot like Wonder Woman in that they have truly awful and uninteresting villains, and to use one that's clearly based on old-timey racist stereotypes of "inscrutable orientals" was probably a bad idea in the first place. But again, what was the option? Break out the Unicorn or the Melter? Maybe see if Cobalt Man or the Living Laser were free? I say it again (to get back to controversial opinions) Iron Man is a C-lister at best, and couldn't carry a movie if it were anyone other than RDJr. They're lucky the man was born to play the role.
    You can say that about a couple of Marvels big names. Look at Daredevil. Who are they going to get if they take away The Kingpin and Bullseye?

Are they going to do a movie or series where Leap Frog or Stilt Man are the big bads? Break out Matador?

Lets be honest Daredevil was not that great before Frank Miller took over. The rehashed Spiderman villains as bad guys like Electro or The Ox. the bad gimmicks like Mike Murdock or moving Daredevil to San Fran. Even with Black Widow at his side his comics were lack luster at best.

Captain America also does not have a good solo rogues gallery.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-19-2021 at 10:42 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Cap lucked into Nazis. They pounded the s##t out of it for way too long, until things came back 'round again and Nazis were mainstream. But yeah, outside of the Skull and Zemo there's not a lot there.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But it is a twist. This is like claiming that every mystery, detective, or cop show with a red herring is false advertising. False advertising would have been calling the movie "Iron Man" but when you watched it, the star was Martian Manhunter or something.
    It is common knowledge that mystery stories need a red herring or red herrings otherwise no suspense if it’s obvious what character is the villain.

Yes it’s a twist except still very disappointing to watch the movie expecting the Mandarin is the main antagonist and see that is wrong because a fake Mandarin is a pawn used by the main super villain.