Page 290 of 440 FirstFirst ... 190240280286287288289290291292293294300340390 ... LastLast
Results 4,336 to 4,350 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I'd imagine they wouldn't be fined because the movie-going public doesn't give a damn about the character, or either of the awful Iron Man sequels, let alone whether he was the "real version" of a character they didn't care about in the first place. Iron Man is a lot like Wonder Woman in that they have truly awful and uninteresting villains, and to use one that's clearly based on old-timey racist stereotypes of "inscrutable orientals" was probably a bad idea in the first place. But again, what was the option? Break out the Unicorn or the Melter? Maybe see if Cobalt Man or the Living Laser were free? I say it again (to get back to controversial opinions) Iron Man is a C-lister at best, and couldn't carry a movie if it were anyone other than RDJr. They're lucky the man was born to play the role.
    Leaving the villains aside, if Iron Man is a C-lister, who is an A-lister? You know, so long as there is actually a "list"?

I guess I'm just wondering at your criteria for "A-list", because even before the MCU gave Stark the massive boost it has, he's always carried a solo title, always been considered a "main" Avenger in-universe, he's been around forever ...
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    It is common knowledge that mystery stories need a red herring or red herrings otherwise no suspense if it’s obvious what character is the villain.

Yes it’s a twist except still very disappointing to watch the movie expecting the Mandarin is the main antagonist and see that is wrong because a fake Mandarin is a pawn used by the main super villain.
    It's fine to be disappointed in the outcome, but believing Disney should be fined 800 million because they did a bait and switch with the villain is straight irrational. Can you prove that Disney made 800 million dollars based on people believing the villain was going to be Mandarin? You don't even need proof to realize how crazy that statement is.

Iron Man 3 was going to make a lot of money because it was an MCU movie and people line up like crazy to see them. Did The mandarin as the villain draw some people in? Maybe a few. But most saw the movie to see the next chapter in the MCU. it would have been the same if was some lame villain like an Updated Melter or some other B grade villain.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

It's okay for people to change their minds. Even for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It's okay for people to change their minds. Even for no reason.
    That is not true. Wait a minute, maybe it is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Cap lucked into Nazis. They pounded the s##t out of it for way too long, until things came back 'round again and Nazis were mainstream. But yeah, outside of the Skull and Zemo there's not a lot there.
    Especially in the Bronze Age, they did make some attempts to diversify Captain America's roster. Moonstone, Batroc, Mr. Hyde, Lucifer, etc. But the ones that weren't repurposed from someone else never had the iconic quality of his Nazis or Spider-Man's gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Especially in the Bronze Age, they did make some attempts to diversify Captain America's roster. Moonstone, Batroc, Mr. Hyde, Lucifer, etc. But the ones that weren't repurposed from someone else never had the iconic quality of his Nazis or Spider-Man's gallery.
    To be fair there are like 3 groups that have A Spiderman level Rogues. Batman, Fantastic Four and Xmen.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    To be fair there are like 3 groups that have A Spiderman level Rogues. Batman, Fantastic Four and Xmen.
    I'd add Flash, Green Lantern, and Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That is not true. Wait a minute, maybe it is.
    I can't argue with that.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

As far as Rogue’s Gallery’s go.

Batman and Spider-Man are obviously top tier. Their galleries are so Deep they can rent out some of their C list villains and they would become A -list villains in other books.

Then you have the the second tier with characters like The Flash( who I feel is a hero who comes the closest to cracking the top tier. I also put Superman on this tier. Some people say Superman has a weak Rogue’s gallery but I disagree. Luthor Zoe, and Brainiac are great A tier villains, and villains like Metallo, Parasite, Mxy and Doomsday are all very solid, then you have the extended family of Superman villains that come from Superman spinoff series, like Darkseid and the The Fatal Five. I fail to see how Superman’s gallery is even close to being bad.

Then you have the third tier gallery’s. These heroes usually only have one good villain and perhaps a few villains that are interesting concepts but are poorly developed. I put Wonderwoman on this tier.

Then you have the bottom tier of characters that pretty much survive off of poaching villains from other franchises.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Leaving the villains aside, if Iron Man is a C-lister, who is an A-lister? You know, so long as there is actually a "list"?

I guess I'm just wondering at your criteria for "A-list", because even before the MCU gave Stark the massive boost it has, he's always carried a solo title, always been considered a "main" Avenger in-universe, he's been around forever ...
    To be fair he's probably more a B/B- Lister than a C, akin to a Green Arrow or Daredevil. But before RDJr's casting if you'd asked most comics fans how excited they were to see Disney kick off their movie franchise with Iron Man I think they'd have been pretty disappointed. If you asked non-comics fans they'd probably ask who you were talking about.

Flash definitely. Green Lantern and Superman not really. A top few for GL (Sinestro mostly, but the Weaponeers of Qward are neat, and Star Sapphire), and for Superman (Lex Luthor, Brainiac, non-villain complications like Mr. Mxyzptlk and Bizarro). I don't see Darkseid as a Superman villain, or even a Justice League villain, he's more akin to Thanos as a universe-level threat. I know Superman fans like to throw him on the list, but let's be honest.

To be fair he's probably more a B/B- Lister than a C, akin to a Green Arrow or Daredevil. But before RDJr's casting if you'd asked most comics fans how excited they were to see Disney kick off their movie franchise with Iron Man I think they'd have been pretty disappointed. If you asked non-comics fans they'd probably ask who you were talking about.

Flash definitely. Green Lantern and Superman not really. A top few for GL (Sinestro mostly, but the Weaponeers of Qward are neat, and Star Sapphire), and for Superman (Lex Luthor, Brainiac, non-villain complications like Mr. Mxyzptlk and Bizarro). I don't see Darkseid as a Superman villain, or even a Justice League villain, he's more akin to Thanos as a universe-level threat. I know Superman fans like to throw him on the list, but let's be honest.
    The DCAU probably has a lot to do with this, but even in the comics if Darkseid shows up to menace a solo hero outside of the New Gods it seems to be Superman first, everyone else combined second. Even when he tangles with Batman it seems to be a team-up with Superman.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Boisterously Confused

What Superman lacks in number, I'd say he makes up in weight. YMMV.

Instead of bikini-cut leotards, German gymnasts wear unitards in Tokyo Olympics. That was an awesome idea.

A youtuber who said she was an ex-gymnast mentioned in her comment that bare legs have the advantage of a better grip on the beam. If that was the case, why didn't the male gymnasts also bare their legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post

Instead of bikini-cut leotards, German gymnasts wear unitards in Tokyo Olympics. That was an awesome idea.

A youtuber who said she was an ex-gymnast mentioned in her comment that bare legs have the advantage of a better grip on the beam. If that was the case, why didn't the male gymnasts also bare their legs?
    Most of the male gymnast stuff I have seen is upper body stuff. Parallel bars, Horse, and Rings. And the outfits I remember (since I don't actually follow this stuff closely) have bare arms - some even showing off the upper body as well based on the cut.

I still think the YouTuber you mention is full of it, as even if what she mentions is true, one would only need bare feet. Although in a school where they don't have the budget for the most up to date materials, bare legs might help save the rest of the uniform based on how much give the fabric has. Of course, deal with that long enough and it becomes a tradition rather than a work around.
    Dark does not mean deep.