Page 302 of 439 FirstFirst ... 202252292298299300301302303304305306312352402 ... LastLast
Results 4,516 to 4,530 of 6583

I thought it was about friendship and coworkers. Rejection isn't only dating. Part of the world rejects us every day.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

If you're getting rejected in situations that don't involve dating...besides maybe a high five or a hug, then that's an entirely different discussion.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My dad is in the other room watching reruns and it is very loud. So I have to say this.

Mork and Mindy is not a funny show. And I can not think of any Robin Williams stuff that I have ever found funny.
    I remember liking some of his old stand up and he's done really good dramatic work, but yeah...I never liked Mork and Mindy, even as a kid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Being rejected by others for what? This discussion isn't about dating.

No, it’s absolutely most. It seems your view of humanity and people has been shaped by propaganda and romantic notions. Which the only thing wrong with that is that it’s incredibly naive.
    Kirby beat me to it, but rejection comes in many forms. From romantic rejection to rejection of friendship to rejection of arguments or ideas. Some people you might see as "abrasive" or "toxic" might just be telling you uncomfortable truths, or even just giving you a perspective or opinion that you're free to disagree with but is no less valid than your own. That can be seen as a rejection of you, because they reject your ideas or even the things that you like, but it isn't necessarily about you.

Not wanting to face the fact that you could be wrong is what usually leads people to withdraw, blame others for their problems, and seek out like-minded individuals to stay in a thought-bubble/safe space and avoid rejection or contradiction. Personally I find that to be unhelpful long-term and boring in the short term. Give me conflict baby, even better if they make good points and help me recalibrate my thinking (though, like most people, I tend to cling to my beliefs/likes/thoughts).

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My dad is in the other room watching reruns and it is very loud. So I have to say this.

Mork and Mindy is not a funny show. And I can not think of any Robin Williams stuff that I have ever found funny.
    I enjoy some of his stand-up, but I'd take a Carlin/Jim Jeffries/Bill Burr any day of the week if I'm putting something on in the background. I love the movie, "the Birdcage" (even if Nathan Lane steals the show from him). I honestly gun-to-my-head couldn't name another project of his that really grabs me, but danged if I'm not a fan anyway. Mork & Mindy is hamstrung by the fact that it was a sitcom in the '70s. Sitcoms are usually crap, to appeal to a mass audience, so I give him a pass there. "Death to Smoochy" though, that's on him. I keep wanting to go back and watch it, thinking "It can't be as bad as I remember it being" but still hesitate. Someday, when I'm bored enough.

Extraordinary Member

Williams did a guest shot on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno once, and Leno just sat back and let him ad-lib. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. That's when he was gold, when he was just let to say and do whatever he wanted. But yeah, the reruns I saw of Mork and Mindy never even approached what he could do; and just wasn't very funny. That said, that era of TV produced some of the greatest and funniest sitcoms of all time. I'd say WKRP or Barney Miller more than makes up for Mork and Mindy in redeeming the sitcoms of that time.

In fact, I will go with "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly..." as the single funniest sitcom line ever.

BANNED

Well I think it's part of human nature that we have to try and attribute some kind of deeper cause or motivation to everything and can't accept that most of the time, things just kind of happen and aren't always an indictment of your value as a person. The problem is that our society very much encourages people to communicate through subtle gestures and innuendo rather than just being direct with each other, and so it can be difficult to tell whether a particular social signal is meaningful, or if you are just reading too much into something innocuous.

I know someone who attributes the absolute worse motive to everyone. If someone ignores them, it's not that they didn't hear or see them. it's that they thought this person was worthless.
    If someone reacts to them with a "don't bother me" it's not that they might be having a bad day, it's that they wanted to show how this person is a piece of crap. And so on.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I know someone who attributes the absolute worse motive to everyone. If someone ignores them, it's not that they didn't hear or see them. it's that they thought this person was worthless.
    If someone reacts to them with a "don't bother me" it's not that they might be having a bad day, it's that they wanted to show how this person is a piece of crap. And so on.
    He or she must be fun to have around.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    He or she must be fun to have around.
    They are a good person with self esteem / self doubt problems. These episodes are not constant or all the time.

BANNED

To be fair, it is an aspect of human nature to try and read patterns where none exist, and media doesn't really help either because it is always implying to an extent that if you're a bad person, then other people will just kind of instinctively know and try to avoid or shun you because of it, and so it's easy for people to interpret every instance of being mistreated as a personal slight. And I think that the interconnectedness of modern society has paradoxically made people lonelier, because the fact that we all have a lot more contacts and acquaintances than we would have without modern technology means that we don't have as much time or energy to devote to each person in our lives, and I would wager any amount of money that every person who has ever felt like they were being ignored or insulted by someone they cared about is doing the EXACT same thing to someone else and isn't even aware of what they might be feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Some people you might see as "abrasive" or "toxic" might just be telling you uncomfortable truths, or even just giving you a perspective or opinion that you're free to disagree with but is no less valid than your own.
    If this has to be said, on a controversial opinions thread no less, then people don't actually think this. They think "this person is toxic", cut that person and leave it at that. However, this is a little too hypothetical. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Retired

For good reasons, I hate the people in power in the People's Republic of China.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't doubt it, people always find good reasons to hate on something or someone. Expecially if tv or internet are telling them to do so.

Moving on, Juan of the Dead is leagues better than any American Pie film.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Of course, you don't actually know who more than one of those people are, nor you can you seemingly articulate what they've done that's upset you so much, but I'm sure your reasons for hating them are totally legitimate.