Page 312 of 440 FirstFirst ... 212262302308309310311312313314315316322362412 ... LastLast
Results 4,666 to 4,680 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    No, there are movies that are so bad you can enjoy watching them. The badness itself is entertaining.
    Mystery Science Theater does a great job showing movies like these
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Retired

I never got the point of Tim Burton's ED WOOD. I had thought the movie was trying to champion the director, but in the end it seems the message was supposed to be that Ed Wood was no good. Whereas, to me, Ed Wood was good. He was a guy trying to do the best he could, but maybe without the resources. Still his movies were solid entertainment. I don't see how PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE and GLEN OR GLENDA are bad movies. You might as well say, E.C. are bad comic books. Ed Wood was doing movies that were outside the norm--and by being abnormal he was challenging normative ethics of the day.

If you think a movie is bad just because it's cheap--then you're probably one of those that thinks film criticism is all about finding the flaws in C.G.I.--as if making movies that look right is the only criteria for what's valuable.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I never got the point of Tim Burton's ED WOOD. I had thought the movie was trying to champion the director, but in the end it seems the message was supposed to be that Ed Wood was no good. Whereas, to me, Ed Wood was good. He was a guy trying to do the best he could, but maybe without the resources. Still his movies were solid entertainment. I don't see how PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE and GLEN OR GLENDA are bad movies. You might as well say, E.C. are bad comic books. Ed Wood was doing movies that were outside the norm--and by being abnormal he was challenging normative ethics of the day.

If you think a movie is bad just because it's cheap--then you're probably one of those that thinks film criticism is all about finding the flaws in C.G.I.--as if making movies that look right is the only criteria for what's valuable.
    It has nothing to do about cheapness, Jim. Many of my favorite movies were made on a shoestring (i.e. Night of the Living Dead). If it's good, the budget is not a factor.

Now I can give Ed Wood credit for trying something different, but he was still inept doing it. At least he could make me laugh with his ineptness, while other bad directors couldn't even do that.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Mystery Science Theater does a great job showing movies like these
    I love that show, though some of the movies they lampooned weren't really that bad.

See I am the opposite. I hate watching movies with other people.
    Now, I'm not saying some vetting isn't in order. It's why I think going to the movies on a first date is an atrocious move or a good one if you want to find out exactly who you're dealing with. It has to be people you like, that you also don't mind hearing from during the movie. Also, someone who isn't against rewinding, pausing, and maybe subtitles. If you're not going to talk during the movie, then there's really no reason to watch it together, now is there?

[QUOTE=TheRay;5798560]Now, I'm not saying some vetting isn't in order. It's why I think going to the movies on a first date is an atrocious move or a good one if you want to find out exactly who you're dealing with. It has to be people you like, that you also don't mind hearing from during the movie. Also, someone who isn't against rewinding, pausing, and maybe subtitles. If you're not going to talk during the movie, then there's really no reason to watch it together, now is there?[/QUOTE]

That is why I enjoy watching alone. I dont want to talk during a movie. I want to watch the movie. If I want to talk to someone I will but not during a movie I am trying to see. it drives me so nuts!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Can always watch it again on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Can always watch it again on your own.
    I can just watch it on my own in the first place and avoid doing something that I dont enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I thought it was about the joy and sorrow of movie making. About the need to make movies. It was Burton talking about himself. The scene with Orson Welles was telling. The amount of talent was not in proportion to the ambition.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

In addition to Rob Schneider, I feel like Jack Black's movies are not as bad, but they definitely can be.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I love that show, though some of the movies they lampooned weren't really that bad.
    I never can enjoy those kind of shows, because I have too much empathy for the people who made the movies.

I watched PAN'S LABYRINTH on Saturday--never saw it before--and on the video, before the movie, Guillermo del Toro comes on and says how much he suffered making the movie. I didn't really like it--it left me cold--but I felt bad for not liking it, because the director had laboured so hard to make it.

I never found Adam Sandler funny.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I did like him ion Pixels and the Hotel Transylvania movies. But those are the only ones. And Opera Man on SNL was the dumbest thing ever!

BANNED

I did like him ion Pixels and the Hotel Transylvania movies. But those are the only ones. And Opera Man on SNL was the dumbest thing ever!
    Cajun Man was right up there, but I still liked it.

I found him to be very funny on SNL, but that hasn't always translated to his films (Billy Madison being at the worst section of the meter, while The Wedding Singer at the other end).