Page 313 of 441 FirstFirst ... 213263303309310311312313314315316317323363413 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,695 of 6606
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I never can enjoy those kind of shows, because I have too much empathy for the people who made the movies.

I watched PAN'S LABYRINTH on Saturday--never saw it before--and on the video, before the movie, Guillermo del Toro comes on and says how much he suffered making the movie. I didn't really like it--it left me cold--but I felt bad for not liking it, because the director had laboured so hard to make it.
    I can definitely understand that, Jim. For a very talented director like del Toro, it's far more painful to witness.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Some revived shows could benefit from not being set in 2021.

Astonishing Member

Gray morality in stories are overrated since they actually lower a story's stakes. When both sides are good or bad, then who really cares who wins?

Iron Fist is probably better than Jessica Jones.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Do you mean the characters or the TV shows? Despite the shows or even the comics, I can actually make an argument that JJ is a more interesting premise...

The show? Probably not. No, make that definitely not.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Tennant's Purple Man/Kilgrave was the only thing that really stuck out to me from the Netflix Disney heroes. Daredevil had some good moments, a solid B. But everything else (including Jessica Jones outside of Kilgrave) was at best solid but unspectacular time-wasting like a Supernatural or a Buffy. Nothing wrong with that, need to kill time somehow. In fairness I never watched Iron Fist because I fell asleep four times trying to get through Luke Cage and the consensus among my friends was Iron Fist was even worse. Also never cared for the character or martial arts heroes in general outside of the Bat-family (still haven't seen, and likely won't, Shang Chi). Different strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I can actually make an argument that JJ is a more interesting premise...
    Don’t let us stop you.

Invincible Member

Don’t let us stop you.
    Well, Iron Fist was basically just Marvel cashing in on the martial arts craze of 70's. It was them doing a superhero version of Shaw Bros film and what not. The old comics artists didn't even bother to try to do fight choreography.

Jessica Jones was a lot more original in concept if not always execution. The idea of an alcoholic failed superhero who becomes a private eye because she has self esteem issues, was a bit more unique. It walked up to the line of being genre deconstruction, but still worked as straight genre fiction.

If you want to read the Iron Fist done right, try Fire Power by Kirkman and Samnee from image.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    If you want to read the Iron Fist done right, try Fire Power by Kirkman and Samnee from image.
    I have some of the Fraction/Brubaker IF run. I need to get the rest eventually.

I like Samnee as an artist. I may check it out.
    Last edited by ed2962; 11-14-2021 at 06:43 PM.

People seeing more “originality” in something doesn’t make that thing intrinsically better.

BANNED

Better? No (or not necessarily). But more interesting than the 45th variation on a theme? Sure. There's something to be said for the comfortable and familiar, but it's nice to see something different (sometimes even if, or especially if, it's not very good).

More interesting? Again, not necessarily. An idea being “original” doesn’t make it good.

More interesting? Again, not necessarily. An idea being “original” doesn’t make it good.
    That is not an original idea.