Page 314 of 440 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316317318324364414 ... LastLast
Results 4,696 to 4,710 of 6600

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That is not an original idea.
    I will admit I'd rather see an old idea done well than an original idea done badly - but old ideas often get done badly too. Just because something worked before doesn't mean you can get away with a beat for beat repackaging - I'll take the older version almost every time when a remake offers nothing new.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I've never seen anything that didn't add something to the genre or even the cliches associated with that genre.

Extraordinary Member

Originality is just one of many variables in an art works’ evaluation- but one used a bit too often when describing a story’s successes or defects.

If a film or comic has a clever original tale, than the success is it being clever, with the original element just the tool through which it is delivered. If a film or comic has a stupid divergence from formula, than the failure is more the being stupid thing than diverging from formula.

Now, over-focusing on the originality/divergence because you aren’t bothering to analyze what actually works or doesn’t makes some sense… but sometimes it’s deployed as a shield from legitimate criticism, or sadly obscures what was actually working on a functional level.

For instance, I tend to think that most defenses of The Last Jedi that try to claim its original and thus a good thing are really just covered for being pandered to - especially by people who consciously or unconsciously endorse the film embracing some sexist, racist, and elitist tropes because it lets them watch a Kylo Ren fan fiction.

In contrast, if someone tries to focus on Baby Driver as being an original movie as it’s greatest strengths, they’re overlooking a more accurate prognosis that Edgar Wright simply so mastered editing, pacing, use of diabetic music, themes, and characterization that it blended better than most Oscar winners.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    In contrast, if someone tries to focus on Baby Driver as being an original movie as it’s greatest strengths, they’re overlooking a more accurate prognosis that Edgar Wright simply so mastered editing, pacing, use of diabetic music, themes, and characterization that it blended better than most Oscar winners.
    WTF is diabetic music?
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    WTF is diabetic music?
    Autocorrect screwing up “diagetic”, a word that means the soundtrack for a film is generated from in-world sources the characters can here.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Autocorrect screwing up “diagetic”, a word that means the soundtrack for a film is generated from in-world sources the characters can here.
    Ah, I thought typo but diagetic was something I have never heard of.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

BANNED

I picture Wilford Brimley blowing on a jug and singing a folk tune about the dangers of diabeetus. I'd give a listen.

Mighty Member

Quaker Oats to the rescue!

The Archie storylines about dating are, by far, the least interesting ones.
    Yeah I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    The Archie storylines about dating are, by far, the least interesting ones.
    Yeah I said it.
    Said what?

Extraordinary Member

I like the Japanese Godzilla movies much more than I like the American ones. Yes, the American version are at times glorious to watch, more so than their Japanese counterparts, but I always absolutely HATE the American human cast, (or barely get to see them), and while the stories for both are....silly to put it kindly, the actors in most of the Japanese movies just engage my interest more. There's a charm that's missing IMO from the American, (WB/Legendary) versions. Those just feel very...corporate.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Said what?
    The safe word of course: Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I like the Japanese Godzilla movies much more than I like the American ones. Yes, the American version are at times glorious to watch, more so than their Japanese counterparts, but I always absolutely HATE the American human cast, (or barely get to see them), and while the stories for both are....silly to put it kindly, the actors in most of the Japanese movies just engage my interest more. There's a charm that's missing IMO from the American, (WB/Legendary) versions. Those just feel very...corporate.
    The American Godzilla movies were just plain bad. Insipid and ponderous with ridiculous plots. Somehow they produced a very good and very fun King Kong movie. But then went back to form when the two met.
    A modern Godzilla movie done right was Shin Godzilla.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The American Godzilla movies were just plain bad. Insipid and ponderous with ridiculous plots. Somehow they produced a very good and very fun King Kong movie. But then went back to form when the two met.
    A modern Godzilla movie done right was Shin Godzilla.
    I've at times wondered how they snuck in Skull Island into that universe. It just didn't fit with the others in that it didn't suck. The cast helped. Also, the writing, which while not exactly tight, at least was competent and got the job done.

The Song Incomplete by The BackStreet Boys may be one of the most powerful break up songs of all time!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.