Page 315 of 440 FirstFirst ... 215265305311312313314315316317318319325365415 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,725 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The Song Incomplete by The BackStreet Boys may be one of the most powerful break up songs of all time!
    I would suggest you listen to Janis Joplin singing Piece of My Heart and get back to me.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I would suggest you listen to Janis Joplin singing Piece of My Heart and get back to me.
    I did. Ive heard that song since childhood. I was very Meh about it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I did. Ive heard that song since childhood. I was very Meh about it.
    There's always the Faith Hill version . . . that one wouldn't be called a "powerful break up song", but you can dance to it.

No love for Ben Folds "Song For The Dumped"?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    No love for Ben Folds "Song For The Dumped"?
    That is a pretty good one also. ben Folds is amazing. He very well may be the only guy who could get awya with singing a song about abortion.

I just like Incomplete so much because it was the Backstreet Boys and they are so lame but then damn they hit you with this powerful song and I was like Damn! I heard the same night my ex boyfriend and I broke up.

I guess it is on my mind because the woman I was seeing and I decided not to pursue a romantic relationship. We have a lot in common but the truth is I am just not comfortable being intimate with a woman. I always identified as gay and i see I am more attracted to her as a person but no in a romantic way. but to be honest I dont really want to be romantic with anyone man or woman right now.

But I am hitting up the break up song playlist hard. Even though we wernt really dating.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-20-2021 at 06:59 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Invincible Member

There's a Walmart commercial where the singer is imitating Janis Joplin and singing "I Got You Babe". I'm not sure how I feel about that...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There's a Walmart commercial where the singer is imitating Janis Joplin and singing "I Got You Babe". I'm not sure how I feel about that...
    There's also a YouTube channel or two that does parts of songs in the style of different bands, like Dire Straits playing the solo from Stairway to Heaven.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What I hate are terrible covers of great songs. A huge example, probably the most often abused song is It's A Wonderful World, properly sung by Louis Armstrong for reference. Some of the covers I've heard are....like having my spine torn out while having my ears scrubbed with steel wool and sulfuric acid. But I suspect there are terrible covers of many great songs. I've heard covers of White Rabbit that completely change the tempo, timber and tone of the whole song. In ways that evidently didn't bother to actually listen to the lyrics to figure out what the song is about. I mean, a triumphant, fast, upbeat drug song? I've heard version like that.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    What I hate are terrible covers of great songs. A huge example, probably the most often abused song is It's A Wonderful World, properly sung by Louis Armstrong for reference. Some of the covers I've heard are....like having my spine torn out while having my ears scrubbed with steel wool and sulfuric acid. But I suspect there are terrible covers of many great songs. I've heard covers of White Rabbit that completely change the tempo, timber and tone of the whole song. In ways that evidently didn't bother to actually listen to the lyrics to figure out what the song is about. I mean, a triumphant, fast, upbeat drug song? I've heard version like that.
    The only really good cover of Its a Wonderful World and its not even the full song is when Israel Kamakawiwoʻole sampled it for his version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Changing the tempo of a song isn't necessarily a bad thing.

There's "Layla" by Derek and the Dominos, and then many years later Eric Clapton performed a more acoustic version of that on MTV Unplugged that was so different but so good in its own way.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

There's "Layla" by Derek and the Dominos, and then many years later Eric Clapton performed a more acoustic version of that on MTV Unplugged that was so different but so good in its own way.
    No, but in this case it was. The original is a slow, sort of drugged out singing and tempo, the one I'm thinking of made it into a triumphant, fast paced thing which doesn't really work with the lyrics, but the original does, masterfully.

Don't get me wrong, there are some fine covers out there, but for some reason, I only ever seem to hear the bad ones. For example, during the last MLB season, their own network ran Del Taco commercials which used Dead or Alive's "You spin me right round" as their song and central aspect. They started with the original. Then, for some reason, (did someone forget to actually purchase the rights to use the song?), they replaced it with an insipid, dead, cardboard tasting cover that had all the energy of a 70 day old corpse. It made you NOT want to dance.

No, but in this case it was. The original is a slow, sort of drugged out singing and tempo, the one I'm thinking of made it into a triumphant, fast paced thing which doesn't really work with the lyrics, but the original does, masterfully.

Don't get me wrong, there are some fine covers out there, but for some reason, I only ever seem to hear the bad ones. For example, during the last MLB season, their own network ran Del Taco commercials which used Dead or Alive's "You spin me right round" as their song and central aspect. They started with the original. Then, for some reason, (did someone forget to actually purchase the rights to use the song?), they replaced it with an insipid, dead, cardboard tasting cover that had all the energy of a 70 day old corpse. It made you NOT want to dance.
    But, that fits the product so well.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

There are some great covers. Hurt by Johnny Cash Listen to your heart cover by DHT.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But, that fits the product so well.
    Bwahaha! It does indeed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I'd say that's not a controversial opinion, or I definitely agree with you, but I find I'm more impressed with a band when they do a cover and either match the original or (better yet) take a bad song and make it good. One of my favorites as a kid during that MTV Unplugged thing (agree on Clapton, hence the quote, speaking of Unplugged) was 10,000 Maniacs redoing the Bruce Springsteen song "Because the Night". Later on I heard the Patti Smith version, and I'm not sure which one I like better. Not a fan of the Springsteen version.

https://youtu.be/eRIAzSzm-dU 10,000 Maniacs

https://youtu.be/c_BcivBprM0 Patti Smith

For an example of a version of a song I like better in the remake I'd suggest this Tori Amos version of Britney's "Baby One More Time". Few points of warning, it starts around the 2 minute mark (will try to link around there, but terrible at internetting), she has a distinctive style of singing that some find grating but I love, and the quality of the recording is poor at a live show and there's an annoying amount of cheering in the background. Still, if you're a fan of hers or like the song I still say it's worth listening.

Blah, can only link one video so go with the one hopefully 2 minutes in.