Page 334 of 441 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334335336337338344384434 ... LastLast
Results 4,996 to 5,010 of 6601

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    elaborate Rube Goldberg traps, the defacto group leader, sweet driving skills, and yes dude can rock an ascot, which has to be the reason that Daphne hangs with him when the gang splits up (which is usually Fred's idea to do so). Guy is an O.G. cartoon lady's man
    Fred and Daphne were the "cool" kids hanging with the usual social outcast types like Velma and Shaggy. The group is a team of various personalities and types. That's what they do; they meddle and they solve mysteries.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Fred and Daphne were the "cool" kids hanging with the usual social outcast types like Velma and Shaggy. The group is a team of various personalities and types. That's what they do; they meddle and they solve mysteries.
    If people tell you not to say "I would have gotten away with it if it wernt for these damn kids and that dog." when you are about to be sentenced by a judge because it will piss him off.

Well they are 100 percent right.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

You’re better off offering the judge a Scooby snack

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    You’re better off offering the judge a Scooby snack
    Then I would have been hit with a attempting to bribe a public official charge lol.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

I am a really old guy, and I have never in my life seen an episode of Scooby-Doo. I therefore have only the vaguest of ideas just what you all are talking about. My controversial opinion is that I am no less a valued person on account of my ignorance of this subject, even though it seems to be assumed that it is an integral part of American (and perhaps global?) culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    elaborate Rube Goldberg traps, the defacto group leader, sweet driving skills, and yes dude can rock an ascot, which has to be the reason that Daphne hangs with him when the gang splits up (which is usually Fred's idea to do so). Guy is an O.G. cartoon lady's man
    I always figured Fred split the team so he could grab some sexy time with Daphne, but some greedy old guy with a wacky plan always blue balls him. Dude has got composure to put up with that much of it.

Velma's job is to keep Shaggy and Scooby on point, otherwise they'd just get to baked to do anything at all.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    My favorite Scooby show that never was.

Not the bit from The Venture Brothers?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I am a really old guy, and I have never in my life seen an episode of Scooby-Doo. I therefore have only the vaguest of ideas just what you all are talking about. My controversial opinion is that I am no less a valued person on account of my ignorance of this subject, even though it seems to be assumed that it is an integral part of American (and perhaps global?) culture.
    I don't think I ever watched a full episode back in the day, because by that time I was a sophisticated teen and too old for that crap. Some guys my age did watch it, but they were high on dope when they did. I was never a dope fiend--so I would only see the show sobre--and turn the channel. But I know enough about the basic format of the show to understand the jokes--and I have watched the two live action movies with Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze, Jr.

I wonder if the definition of Baby Boomer has been expanded to include people who didn't usually fit the category. I consider myself just on the cusp of being a Boomer, but I would think most Boomers are over the age of 65 and in retirement. There was a recent news piece that said the Boomers left the workforce during the pandemic. But surely most of them already had left, because they are over the age of retirement. It's like people think Boomers are in their fifties--but if that were true that would mean a lot of returning soldiers from World War Two were still pumping out babies into their fifties and sixties.

I am a Boomer. Most of the people I know my age are still working. Social Security doesn't kick in until 66+ now and the majority of people don't have pensions thanks to the war on Unions started under Reagan. There were a lot of Boomers in the work force before COVID.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Not the bit from The Venture Brothers?
    That was pretty good, too.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Gen X gets forgotten because there aren't enough of us to matter, letting widespread apathy sink in. Which makes us matter even less.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Retired

I don't think most people know what generation is supposed to be what age. It's not like we're walking around with tables and charts and consulting this information. Looking it up now, supposedly Gen X is 41 to 56. I would have thought people in their thirties would be Gen X, too--but they're Millennials. Seems to me that Millennials should be people born around the time of the Millennium.

Baby Boom is 1946 - 1954. I'm apparently Boomer II--1955 - 1964--but I don't see how that was a Boom (my mother was in her forties by the time I was born), I think it deserves a different name--the Cusp? I'm a Cusper. Or the Bust. Our neighbourhood was built for the returning war veterans. It was commonly referred to as "Diaper Hill" because of all the babies being born. But this was falling off by the time I was born--most of the kids on the street were older than me and developing into career criminals.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Gen X gets forgotten because there aren't enough of us to matter, letting widespread apathy sink in. Which makes us matter even less.
    As a political voting bloc, maybe, but there’s some definite impact on pop culture and the economy of entertainment - James Gunn, the Russo Brothers, Geoff Johns, Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kevin Feige, JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson are all Gen Xers.

This means that, somewhat ironically, that Gen X can take the credit for the success of the MCU and The Mandalorian spin-offs being so well constructed, conceived and interconnected… but also some of the blame for the Sequel Trilogy.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    . . . Baby Boom is 1946 - 1954. I'm apparently Boomer II--1955 - 1964--but I don't see how that was a Boom (my mother was in her forties by the time I was born), I think it deserves a different name--the Cusp? I'm a Cusper. Or the Bust. Our neighbourhood was built for the returning war veterans. It was commonly referred to as "Diaper Hill" because of all the babies being born. But this was falling off by the time I was born--most of the kids on the street were older than me and developing into career criminals.
    I consider myself a tail-end baby boomer.

My Dad entered WWII near the end of the war (he had been born in 1926) and my Mom was born in 1930. They married in 1953; my older sisters were born in late 1954 and early 1958, and I came on the scene in 1961. So as far as I know that would still qualify as the "Baby Boom" era.

Astonishing Member

The birth rate by year that defines the Baby Boom is shown here. We see that the birth rate did indeed "boom" in the first couple of years following he end of WWII, then it fell off until about 1951. rose again (but not to the "boom" level) and stayed constant until about 1957, then it fell off continually after that. Nevertheless, the Baby Boom is considered to last until 1964, when the birth rate had fallen to the same level that it had reached at its lowest point during WWII.