Page 337 of 441 FirstFirst ... 237287327333334335336337338339340341347387437 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,055 of 6609

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Maybe this:
    Thanks. 36 issues! Who knew?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yes Virginia, it is a Christmas movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    IPA is my favorite type of beer overall (which I guess is also controversial, as many of my friends tend not to like it)
    IPA is the highest selling type of beer in the United States at least at the craft brewery level. It certainly has vocal detractors, but there are so many over hopped beers here because they sell so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Thanks. 36 issues! Who knew?
    If I can find my DC Universe password I intend to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    IPA is the highest selling type of beer in the United States at least at the craft brewery level. It certainly has vocal detractors, but there are so many over hopped beers here because they sell so quickly.
    Are you on the West coast?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes Virginia, it is a Christmas movie.
    I think the litmus test is the question: If Christmas was removed entirely would the plot still make sense?
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 12-25-2021 at 04:12 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Die Hard is a non-Christmas Christmas movie. There now both sides are happy.

The Christmas party was an integral part of the plot, as was MacLaine visiting for Xmas.
    If people don't call it a Christmas movie, fine. But don't tell me I can't.

Also, Jenkins is the true star of Scooby Doo.
    Honorable mention goes out to Red Herring.

Astonishing Member

Die Hard takes place entirely around a Christmas Party and Gremlins takes place entirely over Christmas, so they are "Christmas movies". It's a Wonderful Life relates to Christmas only at the very end, so it is not a "Christmas movie". Most of the story takes place in the past in various times of the year, not at Christmas, and even the scenes in the present that happen just before Christmas are unrelated to the holiday.

Johnny Test is better than Steven Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I think the litmus test is the question: If Christmas was removed entirely would the plot still make sense?
    100 percent it would. It could be any company party it doesnt have to be Christmas. John doesnt have to be in town for Christmas just to try and make up with his wife. Could de the movie any other time of year and it 00 percent works because the movie is just that great!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

This is more a pet peeve borne out of frustration at critical commentary and what are, in my opinion, largely pretentious arguments that people envious of successful franchises and legends have:

People whining about remakes, sequels, continuations, reboots, etc., are being intellectually dishonest in trying to argue that originality and creativity are not innately tied to resurrected franchises and stories just as much as original properties.

This entire critical culture of be moaning sequels/remakes/reboots is misguided at best, and vaguely misanthropic and ignorantly hipster at worst, nothing more.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I dont mind reboots at all. Continuations I dont mind if thyey are able to keep what made the show special in the first place. And very few have. I loved Punky Brewster and was hyped when it came back. But they stripped it of all that magic and turned it into a sitcom cliche that we have all seen a million times.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont mind reboots at all. Continuations I dont mind if thyey are able to keep what made the show special in the first place. And very few have. I loved Punky Brewster and was hyped when it came back. But they stripped it of all that magic and turned it into a sitcom cliche that we have all seen a million times.
    Execution matters for a lot. It's probably best to avoid making a remake of a film that is iconic though- at least without a well considered plan. The remake of Ben-Hur was doomed from the start, attempting a redux of something that won All The Oscars and was also a cultural icon.

I will say that I get turned off when the remake changes genre- transforming a drama into a farce comedy because the look is dated is just weak.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ralphie in The Christmas Sotry is one of the worst most selfish people in a Christmas movie while Flick is very under reated. The whole movie should have been about Flick because the dude is a champ!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Execution matters for a lot. It's probably best to avoid making a remake of a film that is iconic though- at least without a well considered plan. The remake of Ben-Hur was doomed from the start, attempting a redux of something that won All The Oscars and was also a cultural icon.

I will say that I get turned off when the remake changes genre- transforming a drama into a farce comedy because the look is dated is just weak.
    I agree with all of your points. It's one thing to have remade Ben-Hur the first time, since the original was a silent film and in B&W. But what could the second remake give you that the Heston one didn't have?

I also dislike the farcical remakes, too, though something like 21 Jump Street works for me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?