Page 343 of 441 FirstFirst ... 243293333339340341342343344345346347353393 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,145 of 6606

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I just saw this. Sadly I do not have the courage.
    SuperPro vs. Superman alone would be enough to hook people.

Extraordinary Member

I don't understand why no one has ever made a movie about Taffy 3; it's just about the greatest story of heroism ever. It's not like Hollywood hasn't gotten used to shooting movies at sea by now. It's one of the greatest underdog stories of all time; and people love stories about underdogs, especially when they win.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I don't understand why no one has ever made a movie about Taffy 3; it's just about the greatest story of heroism ever. It's not like Hollywood hasn't gotten used to shooting movies at sea by now. It's one of the greatest underdog stories of all time; and people love stories about underdogs, especially when they win.
    Had to Google that. You're right, it would make a good movie.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I think there should be a major studio take on the US Civil War Battle of Monocacy too, for the same reasons. We need more Civil War films where the Union are the good guys of the movie, and the Battle of Monocacy has a hook that writes itself.

"Federal Troops have been caught out of position, and now all that stands between General Jubal Early's 15000 crack troops and the capitol are 2300 raw recruits....led by a disgraced commander. " That's a slightly embellished take on the battle referred to by Ulysses S Grant as "The defeat that won the war." While forced to retreat from the field, Lew Wallace and his men delayed the Confederates long enough to allow reinforcements to arrive at Fort Stevens.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I'm in the camp of I feel zero emotional connection with Rey, or any other character in the new franchise. I felt like for a moment I could feel one for Finn, but his storyline was so all over the place that a redemption/rebellion arc wasn't explored as well as it could have (should have) been. I felt no fear or intrigue for Kylo/Ben (or Snoke, for that matter), none of the other side characters or villains stood out to me, the old-guard felt like they made appearances out of obligation, it felt like the prequels but without a linear storyline. Never thought the prequels would end up looking good by comparison to another Star Wars trilogy, but here we are.
    Zero emotional connection is better than “This character should be reduced to the abused arm candy of my favorite monster.”

I can respect people who don’t care about the ST characters.

I don’t respect people who want to mutilate everything to create an altar to the dead-eyed school shooter who murdered Han to be more evil in between violating a young woman in a sexual assault allegory and torturing an escaped slave of his.

Similarly, I can respect people who don’t care about Harley Quinn (and in fact I’m one of them a lot of the time), but I don’t respect people who want an explicitly abused and brainwashed woman to submit herself to the fucking Joker.

A film or story failing to engage your empathy is one thing. Someone’s empathy being towards sadists at the expense of objectively less horrible people is disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think there should be a major studio take on the US Civil War Battle of Monocacy too, for the same reasons. We need more Civil War films where the Union are the good guys of the movie, and the Battle of Monocacy has a hook that writes itself.

"Federal Troops have been caught out of position, and now all that stands between General Jubal Early's 15000 crack troops and the capitol are 2300 raw recruits....led by a disgraced commander. " That's a slightly embellished take on the battle referred to by Ulysses S Grant as "The defeat that won the war." While forced to retreat from the field, Lew Wallace and his men delayed the Confederates long enough to allow reinforcements to arrive at Fort Stevens.
    Here, here.

Frankly, more Civil War films should be set in the Western theater just to educate people on how much the perception of the Civil War is twisted by a bias that is too respectful of even the Confederacy’s skills and supposed “unanimity.”

Show us those Texans, Missourians, etc., who remained Unionists, chose the right side - and we’re proven right quite a bit before they were out at East.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Motley Crue is the most overrated rock band in history.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are saying "hold our beer."
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Im thinking Elvis and The Beetles have something to say about the most over rated.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Motley Crue is the most overrated rock band in history.
    They were popular back in the day, but they were never critic's darlings.

BANNED

I feel like the Foo Fighters are pretty high up there as far as overrated. Kudos to babyblob for making an actual controversial choice though.

Going other way, I love U2 and I see a lot of people who absolutely cannot stand them. Not just dislike, but a weird visceral reaction. Not sure the why of it. One of my favorite songs of theirs, and performances:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post

Interesting one, I've never heard of it.

BTW, for those who didn't know what I was talking about, Taffy 3 was a US Navy task force during WWII, which after Admiral Nimitz fell hook, line, and sinker for a fake Japanese fleet intended to trick him, and sailed away from the US forces landing on a beach, (this all happened in the Philippines). Then of course the entire Japanese main battle fleet complete with the Yamato, the largest and most powerful battleship ever made along with its sister ship the Musashi, which was sunk by the US Navy's planes the day before. This was the Japanese plan: To lure Nimitz and the US main battle fleet with the big fleet carriers away from the beach where US troops had just landed in the invasion of the main island. Which worked. If it hadn't been for those meddling kids of Taffy 3.

Which was a tiny task force of the US Navy, whose entire combined tonnage was less than the Yamato alone. Which had 18 inch guns that far outmatched anything the US had, (five inch guns IIRC). There were a couple of tiny carriers, and a few destroyer tenders, and perhaps a frigate or two. Basically, what happened is that Taffy 3 used the typical movie strategy: attack the Death Star, so to speak. Most of the task force was destroyed, but they sunk several Japanese ships, who then ran, thinking it was Nimitz. I can't begin to describe how badly outnumbered and vastly outgunned Taffy 3 was, but AFAIK, it was the greatest David v Goliath true story I've ever come across. There was no way Taffy 3 could have won, in which case the US troops on that beach would have been shelled by the Yamato and the other battleships and others in the Japanese fleet. Which might well have stopped the landing on the islands and prolonged the war, not to mention the loss of most of those troops.

There's a book about it, "Last of the Tin Can Sailors" IIRC. IRL it was called the Battle off Samar.

I agree with CStowle. U2 is very over rated and I can not think of one song of theirs that I would seek out and listen to. And man Bono just gets on my nerves so bad.

There are a few artists that are over rated. Like they may be good but I really never got the hype around them. There are only a few that deserve the hype around them.

My biggest over hyped is by far Elvis. Chuck Berry was 100 times the artist Elvis was. But Elvis had the appeal because he was handsome and because he was white. it was easier for people back then to accept the New Rock Music from a white guy. I think if Chuck berry had been white and appealed to a bigger crowd his name would be right up there with Elvis.

There are also a lot of under rated artists from the past also that deserved to be a bigger deal then they were or are now.

I put Weird Al in the under rated area. The man is amazing, has great talent and work ethic and his career has lasted Decades. Not many people take him seriously because he does joke songs. But anyone who listens to him knows he has a great voice. Listen to the cover of Africa by Weezer that he song on and you can hear just how good his voice is.
    Last edited by babyblob; 01-14-2022 at 04:02 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    They were popular back in the day, but they were never critic's darlings.
    I mean in relation to their output. It’s not just about being the number one band in the world, it’s a proportional thing.

Interesting one, I've never heard of it.

BTW, for those who didn't know what I was talking about, Taffy 3 was a US Navy task force during WWII, which after Admiral Nimitz fell hook, line, and sinker for a fake Japanese fleet intended to trick him, and sailed away from the US forces landing on a beach, (this all happened in the Philippines). Then of course the entire Japanese main battle fleet complete with the Yamato, the largest and most powerful battleship ever made along with its sister ship the Musashi, which was sunk by the US Navy's planes the day before. This was the Japanese plan: To lure Nimitz and the US main battle fleet with the big fleet carriers away from the beach where US troops had just landed in the invasion of the main island. Which worked. If it hadn't been for those meddling kids of Taffy 3.

Which was a tiny task force of the US Navy, whose entire combined tonnage was less than the Yamato alone. Which had 18 inch guns that far outmatched anything the US had, (five inch guns IIRC). There were a couple of tiny carriers, and a few destroyer tenders, and perhaps a frigate or two. Basically, what happened is that Taffy 3 used the typical movie strategy: attack the Death Star, so to speak. Most of the task force was destroyed, but they sunk several Japanese ships, who then ran, thinking it was Nimitz. I can't begin to describe how badly outnumbered and vastly outgunned Taffy 3 was, but AFAIK, it was the greatest David v Goliath true story I've ever come across. There was no way Taffy 3 could have won, in which case the US troops on that beach would have been shelled by the Yamato and the other battleships and others in the Japanese fleet. Which might well have stopped the landing on the islands and prolonged the war, not to mention the loss of most of those troops.

There's a book about it, "Last of the Tin Can Sailors" IIRC. IRL it was called the Battle off Samar.
    It wasn't Nimitz who fell for it, as he was dealing with Strategy and Logistics back in Pearl (I think). The Admiral with the fleet was Halsey.

There is an excellent breakdown on YouTube by Drachinifel - under the title of Battle off Samar. The guy has hundreds of videos about naval battles, ship classes and individual ships ranging from the Napoleonic Wars up to post WW2.
    Dark does not mean deep.

All-New Member

Who knows, they may be already working on this movie, but haven't announced it yet.