Page 351 of 441 FirstFirst ... 251301341347348349350351352353354355361401 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,265 of 6604
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    On the subject of underrated bands, however, we would be remiss not to bring up The Monkees.
    Not inner-circle great, but comfortably great (like the Ramones, but I think the latter were more creative).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Regardless of whether they were actors or not.

Two were musicians, there other two actor-singers
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I think it's important to discuss something in its historical setting as well as through a contemporary lens, but, obviously, you can't judge it by those standards.

I think it's important to discuss something in its historical setting as well as through a contemporary lens, but, obviously, you can't judge it by those standards.
    I always think of it this way: if I had been snatched at birth and sent to another period of time, what things would I not agree with my present self? Now physically I would be the exact same person, but that doesn't mean I would have the same beliefs and value system in 1860, 1066, or 44 B.C. It's a good way to keep your smugness in regard to our ancestors in check.

It can be difficult to predict exactly how you might respond, and I understand that and even to a degree the need to judge those people, it just goes way too far almost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I always think of it this way: if I had been snatched at birth and sent to another period of time, what things would I not agree with my present self? Now physically I would be the exact same person, but that doesn't mean I would have the same beliefs and value system in 1860, 1066, or 44 B.C. It's a good way to keep your smugness in regard to our ancestors in check.
    If you were just born in a different country, or even a different part of this country....
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It can be difficult to predict exactly how you might respond, and I understand that and even to a degree the need to judge those people, it just goes way too far almost every time.
    Well, we all have to remember that people will be judging us, too. While we may think we're on the side of angels, they may think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    If you were just born in a different country, or even a different part of this country....
    Very true. Again, same person, but a potentially different worldview.

Well, we all have to remember that people will be judging us, too. While we may think we're on the side of angels, they may think differently.
    Um, sure, yeah, when reading most stories I always say it's important to keep this in mind because everyone is the hero of their own story and, probably especially in comics, we are only seeing the events unfold from, at best, a few perspectives, and it is not by any means all encompassing.

Astonishing Member

If something doesn’t fit your tastes, it’s better to let it die to try and “save” it. By the time you’ve “saved” it, it’ll be something completely different, and then you might as well have looked for something else that fits your tastes better.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    If something doesn’t fit your tastes, it’s better to let it die to try and “save” it. By the time you’ve “saved” it, it’ll be something completely different, and then you might as well have looked for something else that fits your tastes better.
    I find myself more and more on this board, and in general, moving "to the perfect white between the words" as Michael Ondaatje put it in his poem, "White Dwarfs." It's not that I don't have anything to say, but why say anything?

White Dwarfs by Michael Ondaatje

This is for people who disappear
    for those who descend into code
    and make their room a fridge for Superman
    Who exhaust costume and bones that could perform flight,
    who shave their moral so raw
    they can tear themselves through the eye of a needle
    this is for those people
    they hover and hover
    and die in the ether peripheries

There is my fear
    of no words – of
    falling without words
    over and over – of
    mouthing the silence
    Why do I love most
    among my heroes those
    who sail to that perfect edge
    where there is no social fuel
    Release of sandbags
    to understand their altitude –

that silence of the third cross
    3rd man hung so high and lonely
    we don’t hear him say
    say his pain, say his unbrotherhood
    What has he to do with the smell of ladies
    can they eat off his skeleton of pain?

The Gurkhas of Malaya
    cut the tongues of mules
    so they were silent beasts of burden
    in enemy territories
    after such cruelty what could they speak of anyway
    And Dashiell Hammett in success
    suffered conversation and moved
    to the perfect white between the words

The white that can grow
    is fridge, bed,
    is an egg – most beautiful
    when unbroken, where
    what we cannot see is growing
    in all the colours we cannot see

there are those burned out stars
    who implode into silence
    after parading in the sky
    after such choreography what would they wish to speak of -- anyway

I will never understand the people who complain about a lack of sex scenes in a genre built around people fighting and sometimes killing each other. It's like watching a sitcom and complaining about the lack of WW2 history trivia.

Shonen and fighting/action video game fans don't complain about this, but then again maybe the bouncing breasts and skimpy outfits are enough to satiate them.

Extraordinary Member

They would be wrong of course. But that's to be expected from people on the side of devils...

Extraordinary Member

I wish comic journalism would include some of that fabled journalism instead of semi-literate fanboy articles. For example, a site I won't name, but which rhymes with "Newsarama" illustrates one common problem, using a language which seems to want you to think it's English, but really isn't. I mean, STOP inventing words which don't exist in English. "Coronated" is NOT a word! They wanted the word "crowned". And stop with the articles about "Fans joyous over thing that character did or had happen to them", rather than "I personally like that thing the character did or had happen to them". Whatever each author is on about in their particular variations of that gimmick is something THEY think is the greatest thing ever, but which most fans probably don't care about, or hate if they do. That's the way it always is, and I wish they'd stop.

Use the language properly, pay attention to spell check, don't use a word which you're uncertain as to the exact meaning, and don't project your own feelings about a particular piece onto others. That's what I'm asking. Oh, and maybe having a professional editor might be handy, considering the state of some articles I've seen, with text that repeats or trails off mid-sentence.