Page 354 of 441 FirstFirst ... 254304344350351352353354355356357358364404 ... LastLast
Results 5,296 to 5,310 of 6606
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Correct; a lot of people were creating Rock 'n' Roll then, but in those days only a White guy could have exposed it to a mass audience. If Little Richard had been White, then he would have "invented" Rock 'n' Roll. Of course, if he had been White, then he wouldn't have been Little Richard, either.
    Well, we kinda sorta did have white Little Richard...he was Liberace!

Invincible Member

Liberace "schooling" folks about rock n roll..."WE had boogie woogie thank you!"

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Correct; a lot of people were creating Rock 'n' Roll then, but in those days only a White guy could have exposed it to a mass audience.
    Yeah, who would have got both white and black audiences (most people don't realize he owned the R&B charts during the '50s, too, and that white racists were aghast as black girls were getting hot and bothered over the King)? He was just the perfect catalyst to propel rock and roll to the top of the charts.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Most people don’t even know who Vaughn Monroe is and that is truly a shame.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Most people don’t even know who Vaughn Monroe is and that is truly a shame.
    One of my uncles was a friend of his from his USO days. In fact, I have an autographed photo from him that I inherited from that same uncle (though the autographed photo from Gypsy Rose Lee is even cooler - and sexier!)
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I honestly don’t really care about lyrics…until someone points them out to me and I can’t unsee it.

I praise Warner Bros. for deciding to not have The Batman be distributed in Russia, following the Ukraine invasion.

I hope that The Batman will have a successful run in the glorious People's Republic of China, where it can be viewed by happy and proud Tibetan Chinese, blissfully re-educated Uyghurs, the righteous citizens of Hongkong, and the people of the beautiful province Taiwan.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    I praise Warner Bros. for deciding to not have The Batman be distributed in Russia, following the Ukraine invasion.

I hope that The Batman will have a successful run in the glorious People's Republic of China, where it can be viewed by happy and proud Tibetan Chinese, blissfully re-educated Uyghurs, the righteous citizens of Hongkong, and the people of the beautiful province Taiwan.
    This is not just about the money (though a lot of it definitely is). The west can't even think of antagonizing China at the moment.

Retired

The fact that some nuclear super-powers can do whatever they want--to the extent of invading other sovereign nations--while we can't do anything about it, because we're scared to get involved in a nuclear war--seems to undermine the whole idea that the U.S. having nuclear weapons would keep the other super-powers in check.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The fact that some nuclear super-powers can do whatever they want--to the extent of invading other sovereign nations--while we can't do anything about it, because we're scared to get involved in a nuclear war--seems to undermine the whole idea that the U.S. having nuclear weapons would keep the other super-powers in check.
    We aren't doing nothing. We are hurting Russia economically and supplying Ukraine with arms. But they are not in NATO and under that protection. Our nuclear deterrent is mainly to stop another nuclear nation from using their nukes. Russia's nukes didn't stop us from illegally invading Iraq.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

i dont understand the we are not doing enough talk while at the same time saying we cant do too much because it will lead to war.

In the same breath I hear people saying Biden needs to do more then sanctions. Well the next choice is Troops on the ground. And those same people dont want that.

They say he should enforce A no fly zone but dont want us fighting Russia. Well if the US plane tries to keep a Russian plane from entering said no fly zone what is the next step of that action?

he needs to stop Putin from attacking Nuclear plants. With troops on the ground? Air Strikes? "Oh no that is too far. he just has to stop him but not in a war like way."

So they want him to more, but they dont want him to do so much it leads to war? Trump would have done more? Really other then sanctions what would he have done? Well he would have the Army back up Ukraine. But you dont want Biden to do that? WTF people!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

People have to acknowledge how complex a situation this is. We want to do all we can without starting WWIII. But there is no clear cut solution to what that is. Mainly because it isn't clear how Putin will act.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    i dont understand the we are not doing enough talk while at the same time saying we cant do too much because it will lead to war.

In the same breath I hear people saying Biden needs to do more then sanctions. Well the next choice is Troops on the ground. And those same people dont want that.

They say he should enforce A no fly zone but dont want us fighting Russia. Well if the US plane tries to keep a Russian plane from entering said no fly zone what is the next step of that action?

he needs to stop Putin from attacking Nuclear plants. With troops on the ground? Air Strikes? "Oh no that is too far. he just has to stop him but not in a war like way."

So they want him to more, but they dont want him to do so much it leads to war? Trump would have done more? Really other then sanctions what would he have done? Well he would have the Army back up Ukraine. But you dont want Biden to do that? WTF people!
    I think it’s mostly an emotional reaction: we are fully aware of the dire predicament of the Ukranians because of all the media and we have the feeling we don’t do enough to make it stop.

I suppose it is unusual for people in rich and powerful countries, this feeling of helpessness… It’s hard to think there’s nothing we can do. The sanctions will hurt Western countries as well as Russia and there’s no tool to hurt the true culprit of all this mess…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I think it’s mostly an emotional reaction: we are fully aware of the dire predicament of the Ukranians because of all the media and we have the feeling we don’t do enough to make it stop.

I suppose it is unusual for people in rich and powerful countries, this feeling of helpessness… It’s hard to think there’s nothing we can do. The sanctions will hurt Western countries as well as Russia and there’s no tool to hurt the true culprit of all this mess…
    I completely agree.

Should all the Ukraine / Russia posts be moved to the "All purpose news and politics thread" instead of left here?