Page 372 of 440 FirstFirst ... 272322362368369370371372373374375376382422 ... LastLast
Results 5,566 to 5,580 of 6586

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Kanye West isn't a genius
    Not a fan, but semi-serious question: should we all call him Ye now?
    Where is the line when we accept how people want to be addressed and where is it acceptable to say it's too far? I guess this would be different to different people.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Not a fan, but semi-serious question: should we all call him Ye now?
    Where is the line when we accept how people want to be addressed and where is it acceptable to say it's too far? I guess this would be different to different people.
    At least he didn't choose a stupid symbol that isn't on a typical keyboard . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    At least he didn't choose a stupid symbol that isn't on a typical keyboard . . .
    At least I understand that one.....now. At the time I thought he had lost his sanity (especially since I still haven't heard how to pronounce that thing). The things people do over contract disputes...
    Dark does not mean deep.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

All of the black boomers that bootlick centrist Dems are usually super disingenuous and argue in bad faith while ignoring black leftists and comparing progressives to racist MAGA people. When MLK was talking about the white moderate he was talking about Dems too!

Tbh, there's some things I don't like about the politics of some southern black people, being from the south myself (Alabama). Kinda like how old black southern activists got older and developed weird political beliefs that's the antithesis of what they USE to stand for. Also BLM wasn't very strong in my neck of the woods. At best, black people were side eyeing them, at worst they hated them. I remember after EJ was killed at the Galleria mall seeing a Black person saying on FB that BLM didnt need to come to Alabama.
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 05-21-2022 at 11:49 PM.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Retired

I miss going to the record store. :-(

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    All of the black boomers that bootlick centrist Dems are usually super disingenuous and argue in bad faith while ignoring black leftists and comparing progressives to racist MAGA people. When MLK was talking about the white moderate he was talking about Dems too!

Tbh, there's some things I don't like about the politics of some southern black people, being from the south myself (Alabama). Kinda like how old black southern activists got older and developed weird political beliefs that's the antithesis of what they USE to stand for. Also BLM wasn't very strong in my neck of the woods. At best, black people were side eyeing them, at worst they hated them. I remember after EJ was killed at the Galleria mall seeing a Black person saying on FB that BLM didnt need to come to Alabama.
    Totally, I grew up in LA but my mom & dad folks are from the south. My mom's people are from Georgia, and my dad's people are from Louisiana. I remember them telling me stories about how some black people felt about MLK etc. Fast forward to today and those types are still around. And keep in mind these are black Democrats, not black Republicans. I also have a sneaking suspicion that they helped get Bush Jr his second term because of the gay marriage issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Absolutely!! In the 90's i used to go to the store with my sisters and we would by the store out of house and home lmao. That's back in the day when you went to the record store like you was grocery shopping in the record store. Thank God for amoeba records

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Record stores were so great back in the day. There is still one around here. A record/coffee shop. Go in buy old records, have some coffee and play some records. It used to be a lot of fun till the 20 somethings wanted to prove how hip they are by coming here and trying to tell me life altering facts that will blow my mind about groups I was hip to 20 years before they were born. I swear to god if I have to hear how great and zen this world would be if we all just listened I mean "Really listened" to the johns and words of John Lennon or how they are better then the drones who drink Starbucks because they are having coffee from a local shop with real people one more time I will shove a record player up a wanna be hipsters ass.
    Last edited by babyblob; 05-22-2022 at 05:11 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    . . . I swear to god if I have to hear how great and zen this world would be if we all just listened I mean "Really listened" to the johns and words of John Lennon or how they are better then the drones who drink Starbucks because they are having coffee from a local shop with real people one more time I will shove a record player up a wanna be hipsters ass.
    But will it fit?

Or how messy will it get making it "fit"?

Retired

There is still one record store in the city, but it's out of my way and doesn't have a large inventory. Back in the '90s, I'd go downtown to A & B Sound, Sam the Record Man, Virgin Records and they had every category I could want--whether it was Ludwig Van Beethoven or Camper Van Beethoven. Spent hours looking through everything they had in those stores.

Gaspacho is not a soup, it's a vegetable smoothie. Soup is cooked.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Gaspacho is not a soup, it's a vegetable smoothie. Soup is cooked.
    It ain't necessarily so . . .
    Definition of soup
    1: a liquid food especially with a meat, fish, or vegetable stock as a base and often containing pieces of solid food
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/soup

Retired

The Spanish word "gazpacho" has an Arabic origin and means literally "soaked bread"--there are different types of gazpacho, prepared in different ways.

The English word "soup" comes from the French "soupe" which comes from the Latin "suppa" meaning bread soaked in broth--which in turn has a proto-Germanic source "sup" linked to other modern words like sip and sap.

The modern usage of "smoothie," meaning something made in a "blender" (an electronic food processor), only arrived in the English language in the late 20th century.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

I know I have to stop engaging with the “sex scenes are bad” people on twitter, and I will I WILL but as a Child of the 80s (TM) it’s just extremely discombobulating to watch ostensibly progressive people willingly draft themselves into the "Moral Majority". Like, your allies on this issue would not, to put it mildly, honor your preferred pronouns

This must be what the hippie parents on FAMILY TIES felt like looking at their Reaganite spawn. I know it’s natural to rebel against the generation that came before you but I never could have predicted this PMRC 2.0 movement. Do they feel the same about male nudity? Channing Tatum has his ass on display for a full minute in The Lost City, gratuitously so, but there's no pearl-clutching there.

This has to be the first generational shift where the current, younger generation is more of a conservative, puritan buzzkill than the one that preceded it. Their parents are most likely Gen X which is hilarious to me. Rebelling against their parents who liked to party and have sex.

Having said all of that, if I had to guess, I think for some there’s a suspicion that actresses are always goaded/harassed into nude scenes thanks in part to the #MeToo movement. Not surprising if you know say Salma Hayek’s (and every other) story on Weinstein, or Blue is the Warmest Color. Plenty of others we all know. Last Tango. Polanski. General distrust of the (usually) men in charge - directors and producers. I think even "gratuitous" sex or nudity is fine as long as everyone doing the work is on board with it. That should be the yardstick, vs plot "necessity". Euphoria has had several actors stating they weren't comfortable with the amount of sex scenes/ nudity + there wasn't an "intimacy coord "on set, so yeah, it specifically has too many sex scenes for some. Maybe teens they see that and end up generalizing?

But for.me personally I don't think sex and nudity in media should be more vilified than say extreme violence. Ultimately though this mostly seems to boil down to some weird kinda awkward sex aversion. I think I underrated how important George Michael's I Want Your Sex was for my age cohort having fairly decent sex positivity. A banger of a song where they shout over and over that sex is fun and we were all singing it on the playground. These people needed a song like that. Songs about sex is another topic, but I'll leave that for another time lol. But leave my boobies and gratuitous sex alone crybabies!!
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 05-23-2022 at 10:39 PM.

BANNED

I don't think anyone's looking to ban them, but see it as an overall problem of sending the message that a woman's (or girl's) worth is first and foremost tied to her looks and sexual availability. Whether that's an overt message or a more subtle and "acceptable" norm. I too grew up in the '80s and saw my fair share of gratuitous nudity in everything from teen comedies to horror slasher films. Makes sense, it's cheaper than special effects and sure to grab and keep attention in a way that your 10,000th car chase or explosion never will.

And if included as part of a general package of representation of women in film where female characters are heroes, villains, major support characters, etc. in ways that have nothing to do either with sexuality or their looks in general (beyond the reality that most casting directors and more viewers than you'd think tend to want to see pretty people with problems over realistic ones) then it'd probably be pretty acceptable. It's when it's the go-to, the "when will she go nude" question, the "762 days until she turns 18" internet countdowns and the like that it's not only problematic from a representation standpoint but also feeds an audience we probably shouldn't be rewarding or aiming to please.

Invincible Member

Superhero Comics in 60's-80's were full of jokes and one-liners. There were jokes in the stories, in the captions, on letters pages and in the editorial pages. It's slightly ironic that people say they don't like all the jokey-jokes in the Marvel movies these days.